Queensland Youth.

I went to Caboolture Bowl today to watch some of the youth tournament that was happening, I got thinking, why do 90% of these male and female youth bowlers not roll off for the Queensland youth championship team that travels to Melbourne around this time of year. Do these bowlers not want to roll off because they don't know about the tournament, cost, age restrictions, dont want to travel that far. At the Queensland roll off there were 5 females, i saw alot more then 5 females bowling today. I would love to hear from some youth bowlers/parents that bowled in the tournament as to why (in my eyes you dont want to represent your state).

Hey

You know i have same issue about this. Im 19 and was going to Werribee but the issue is travelling and expensive holiday accommodation. Thats why alot of people are not going including me. It not our fault. I really wish to go down there anyways.

IN other news i am representing qld deaf team to play in Hobart in Easter this year. This plan is much cheaper than going in January!!

The airfares, accommodation, food, tournament cost, time off work and excess luggage. Simply can't afford it. Besides Mum wouldn't appreciate it if I didn't bowl in the SEQS.

At 25 I'm too old to bowl in the youth team but I'm fortunately able to bowl in the SEQS which is a great competition. But even if I was age eligible, Shannon's right it's too expensive. I rolled off back in the day when I was eligible and the only responsibility I had was uni, but if I was able to right now I probably wouldn't because my priorities have changed.

I was thinking about this today too at Aspley with the juniors. I don't understand why there were not more people rolling off for the SQ team when there are so many boys and girls bowling this tournament. It doesn't make sense to me.

I get that it is expensive, but representing your state is one of the best experiences in bowling, and even just the experience of rolling off for the team can be worthwhile to your game. Something definately has to be done about getting more of the people competing this weekend at both levels and getting them to roll off for the state teams.

Beth Grandison

Dead right there Beth. The expense is there but with the fund raising done throughout the year by the committee and team it is a much more affordable event. Ken Mills Kup was the eye opener for me. 60 plus girls bowling and only 9 turned up to try out for Shield.

Join the dots...

just curious here - this weekends' bowling obviously wasn't free......

what were the outlays for individual bowlers (or teams) for the games, uniforms, and other expenses that were incurred?

just curious here - this weekends' bowling obviously wasn't free......

what were the outlays for individual bowlers (or teams) for the games, uniforms, and other expenses that were incurred?

Broni,

Team fees $600.00 - Shirts depend on how many purchased - $42.00 - Haros' youth were sponsored with food and water for 3 days.
My extra beds saved cost for youth.

Junior fees were exactly the same. Some centres did fund raising to help lower the costs for parents.

Maybe the SEQS is a better tournament than the other ones!

i highly doubt that seqs is a better tournament then the youth championships in melbourne, concidering melbourne is australia wide not just queensland. And youth championships is a state team so your competing against some of the top bowlers in australian youth bowling. Seqs is local. And that is why they got so many bowlers. Still a good tournament and they had great numbers.but for me, no where near as good as competition as youth championships. And thats off the subject, my question was to bowlers and parents as to why their not representing there state at a state level.

Sometimes a tournament is better because of the people running it, not the caliber of the players bowling it.

I would love to bowl for my state but in the end it comes down to cost/time. As do all tourneys. SEQS was incorporated as part of my Chrissy present, otherwise I may not have been able to justify it. I don't know if Id be good enough to make a state team (I'd like to think so), but after the costs of roll offs (and getting to roll offs), the shift I missed at work for roll offs, I'm already out quite a bit and we haven't even covered the Tournament yet.

Its not just the actual tournament costs, it's the money you don't make while away. I work mainly weekends and this is normally the reason I don't go - to even 2 day local tourneys. I lose (lets round down) close to $400 before even paying for fees/accomm/travel etc. I like to think I'm a fairly committed bowler, but I have a partner that comes first and we both have to eat.

I went to Caboolture Bowl today to watch some of the youth tournament that was happening, I got thinking, why do 90% of these male and female youth bowlers not roll off for the Queensland youth championship team that travels to Melbourne around this time of year. Do these bowlers not want to roll off because they don't know about the tournament, cost, age restrictions, dont want to travel that far. At the Queensland roll off there were 5 females, i saw alot more then 5 females bowling today. I would love to hear from some youth bowlers/parents that bowled in the tournament as to why (in my eyes you dont want to represent your state).

Parent response.

Jodee,

Are you still bowling? If so, then why aren't you rolling off? I did not see your name down for any team in SEQS.

Most kids I have spoken to are in the same situation as Shannon...turned 18...have an apprenticeship or job. I can't see too many bosses giving time off to apprentices to go away bowling several times a year. Shannon just about to finish 1st year...his boss is pretty good but work is number 1 priority and will be his livelyhood in future years. Apprenticeship wages are very low, so WHO foots the bill - the parents. Sorry Jodee but that is not how the world works.

Interesting subject though.

Shannon's Mum

Mrs P.

I didn't put my name down for seqs because for a while I wasn't on totalbowling so I wasn't aware that people were looking for bowlers, and there is no advertising for anything where I bowl, I also wasn't sure if there were requirements to be able to bowl in the tournament. But I would have loved to of bowled in it. It looked like a great tournament and I saw alot of faces i haven't seen for a while.

I didn't roll off because it's always the same people who are doing it,, its great because you form a close bond to them with practise sessions and going away but its repetitive when your rolling off against the same people all the time. And I don't love 40 degree heat in melbourne. Theres alot of requirements to be able to roll off for youth to, to bowl in 2 ranked tournaments, (for males in south queensland it would be hard now as KNK is not happening anymore, so they would only have sharp that i know of) must bowl a championships I can't remember if there is anymore or not. I think maybe if they didn't have all of that aswell people may concider it. As those requirements do cost alot of money. On top of that, roll off costs training sessions tournament cost etc.

I was very fortunate that when I was bowling all of my competitions my mum paid the expenses and I understand not everyone is that fortunate, And the parents shouldn't have to pay all the time. I've always been told bowling is a rich man's sport.

My handbags and shoes are more important to me now - and I dont get frustrated at them.

Yes I bowl, one league a week. And that is only incase I want to roll off for youth again. Or fingers crossed the SPICERS bring back the KNK tournament.

I'm happy that i've had responses from people.

Hello Jodee, I think if you take a little time to check on TB, you will find that the Kegel Qld. Open has taken the place of the K & K as a Men's and Women's Nationally Ranked event. Hopefully, this will be as successful as the K & K but naturally, the Kegel needs to make it's own mark. Hope to see you there so check on the Nationally Ranked Tourns. forum.

Flower

I bowled SEQS cause of my age, I am not able to roll off or bowl any youth tournament cause of my age. I have bowled for South Queensland and I have been apart of a very successful team, I did this 4 years in a row, and between fundraising and my parents I was lucky. Now I am the mother and have my own family it makes it alot harder. I guess as we move into the youth age our life changes paths and may not lets us bowl in tournaments to represent the state. I starting having children at 21 and i was very sick and unable to bowl for a couple of years. everyone stiuation is different, I know that some of my teams mates from the weekend just gone have only just started in youth so there maybe a chance of them rolling off in the future but I just guess it comes down to life choices and I guess when you get to this age and school has finished you have to think about the rest of your life rather than representing your state or bowling tournaments.
Thats my 2cents
Amanda Frost

Back
Top Bottom