Other Pin Locations

H

Harold

Hi

This is a dumb question (I suppose if you dont know the answear if its not a dumb question)

I recently bought a Predator pursuit and after 30 years of bowling I have never been more dissapointed with a ball. Apparently the pin and bomb are too close together?

I am now a casual bowler who has lost track of the technology and find it hard to get aswears to questions so here goes

the pin is it the little white dot that the manafactures put in to indicate the weight point or the three concentric circles or the big yellow dot that is on the ball. (or am I completely off track)

the second part of the question is am I right about the bigger the pin - bomb distance the more break or am I completly out of touch.

Harold, the little white dot will be your CENTRE OF GRAVITY ( C.G.), this is the heaviest part of the ball, usually found by floating the ball on air, so the heaviest part stays down, than the ball gets a punch mark.
The big yellow mark will be the PIN, this is a plastic stick that holds the weight block in place in the mould as the urethane liquid expands around it.
Finally the BOMB, usually a small dot with a circle around, to make it easier to see, this is added in after by spinning the ball on a special spinner to find a true line in the other 2 weights.
Now a lot of Ball Drillers completely ignore the Bomb when drilling, to my understanding the Bomb helps you get closer to the desired reaction you want to drill into the ball. Also there are specific drilling techniques for Bomb placement.
The sole purpose of pin and bomb drilling, is to adjust the amount of " out of balance" the ball has,in relation to the release, as it rolls down the lane. This is so a ball can be tuned to a certain bowler for a specific lane condition, and you can control the amount of hook, type of hook, where the ball hooks.
All this is useless if you throw a straight ball.
willey.

i ignore the cg placement to a certain extent when drilling anything with a reasonable amount of mass bias efect

Back
Top Bottom