Oils ain't Oils????

Ok i tried posting this somewhere else i had 30 people view it with no reply lets see if it helps putting it in here...

Can anyone give me their views on which lane oil they prefer to use for wood lanes and why???

I'm just trying to see what everyone else is using... Please help.

First...,
What Top coat
What Lane Machine + what mods have been done
condition lane maintenance equipment
lane prep methods - VLS, AVLS, silver bullet, Phoenix...
Lane Cleaner
average lines between lane preparation
How long since resurface
topography?
physical condition of top coat
Temperature
All have and effect on conditions
Regards Dwayne
Bathurst Tenpin Bowl
found your last post Century100 and VLS i guess
PM me or call willing to help you out if you need it

Have you priced an Brunswick Authority22?
from some one who was in your position not more than around 6 months ago...
Think you will find it worth looking at
Regards Again Dwayne

Its not so much the lane surface that will determine the lane oil best suited to your centre, but as Dwayne has pointred out there are many variables to take into consideration, many times a lane oil will work well in 1 centre and is a total failure in another.

I would take into consideration the lineage and the type of balls being used by your bowlers as the 2 top variables.

The other major factors affecting the lane oil to use, is your lane maintenance equipment...........some oils just can't be used in some machines due to their viscosity.

The question that you posed is a very complicated and somewhat confusing subject..............

Shawn

Sorry guys...

I cant tell you the lineage i'd have to get mum to check the records for me she has her own little system there??? we are a 10 lane centre pretty small but i think the lineage is pretty good for our size.

As for oil machine we have a Century 100 unfortunatly nothing fancy but it does ok, we are trying to wash 3 times a week, it's hard to find time seen as how we have to wash and oil seperatly.

Humidity isn't really a problem the temp inside is between about 18 - 25...

We are due for a recoat pretty soon and it'll be the second recoat after the last resurface was done.

I think the lane wash and oil we are using is DEB??? or something like that i dont order it dad does.

The century 100 machine has a few different models, however they all have one thing in common..........there all wick machines. Being a wick machine you are limited in the viscosity of the oi you can use, if the oil is too heavy/thick you will have extreme difficulty in getting enough oil out on the lane.

Try using a oil made by DBA named "Clear" it's a 2 part blended oil, you recieve 10 litres of high viscosity and 10 litres of low viscosity, you have the choice of blending the oils into whatever proportions best suit you and your bowlers.........I suggest you start off with a blend that was very successfull for me..............70% high and 30%.

Shim your oil tank wick into a tophat format, set your machine to oil at least the first 30 ft of the lane and let it buff out out to 38ft oil.............long double oil in the morning and if required short single oil in the afternoon.........clean the lanes every night, foul line to the pindeck or at the very least clean the backends every night...............though it is very hard to give advice when I don't know what daily lineage you are doing.

You didn't mention what method you use to clean the lanes, try using another DBA product especially designed to clean the "Clear" called "white glove" which you can dilute down to 20:1

Hope that helps

Shawn

Cheers mate yeah thats what we use DBA (duh???) I nearly got it (DEB) but i couldn't tell you which of the two types of oil we use.

We also use the DBA wash already, will try the oil mixing technique cheers for the advice.

Oh I think the Century 100 machine we have is a LC100, and we wash with VLS.

Cheers Ash

DBA = Denver Bowling Association

Ash, you seem have all the ingredients to make a good high scoring lane condition, its now up to you to come up with the right formula.

Out of curiosity..................who resurfaced and or put down the last re-coat?

The name of the resurfacer will be stamped on the lane on the 7 pin side just out from the pindeck or close to the foul line.

Shawn

Prodigy from kegel flows great in wick pad machines
although high flow wicks are essential
you can tell which kind of wick you have by the colour
white is low flow grey is high
there are various other colours in the foam type wicks
i personally preffer to use the grey woolen wicks
from qubica Amf

Greg

Pulseman said:
Prodigy from kegel flows great in wick pad machines
although high flow wicks are essential
you can tell which kind of wick you have by the colour
white is low flow grey is high
there are various other colours in the foam type wicks
i personally preffer to use the grey woolen wicks
from qubica Amf
Greg

Greg, I will have to disagree................Prodigy is an extremely good oil but feel it is best suited to non-wick machines. I tried using it with a Century 100C and I can tell you I could not get enough oil on the lane outside the 10 boards and I used a wide variety of wicks including the ones you mentioned.

Shawn

The guy that does our lanes is Jimmy Ball, you should know him...
Thanx for the advice i'll be striving to keep those back ends clean and everything should come good.

Cheers ash

shauwn prodigy was designed to be used in ALL types of lane machines
your welcome to disagree
but i stand by what i said
i have used proigy in a lc100 with no problems at all
you are not going to get 150 units out of it
but you won't get 150 units out of an lc 100 anyway
the other one to try which is made for wick machines
is cross fire conditioner from kegel
http://www.kegel.net/products/products-crossfirec.htm

Greg, I don't know how many units I was putting out on the lanes, but I did keep a record of the mls used, this amount was approxiametly 12 mls per lane using DBA Clear blended at a ratio of 70:30.

There is several ways that I know of to increase the output of oil with a Century 100 machine...................one way is to swap the sprockets around on the transfer roller, this increases the speed of the transfer roller which in turn picks up and applies more oil to the buffer tube, however unless the oil is capable of being wicked at a fast rate this will not increase the amount of oil applied to the lane.

I've also seen a pair of small 12v solenoids controlled by a timer circuit fitted into a Century machine, the solenoid lifted and dropped a 10 to 10 shim behind the wick to increase the oil tank pressure.

Having used a Century machine for 15 years I would not try and use Prodigy oil with it, the oil is far too heavy and does not wick out fast enough for me.............heating the oil or using a tank heater to decrease its viscosity would be the only way that I would recommend using Prodigy with a wick machine.

Greg, can you tell me what modifications or adjustments, if any that you made to your Century so that you could use Prodigy in it?

Shawn

12 mls now that is scary
you want to be on the high side of 18mls
prodigy is only 29 cps viscosity and i don't rate it as
a high vis oil anything over 30 cps is high
you said you mixed 70:30
is that 70 of clear and 30 of ?? equalizer ??
that would be a thick mix im not surprized that you only
got 12 mls
im not 100% sure of dba clears viscosity
which one were you using ie. 50 100
back in the day we used brunswick TLC and Golden
with good results but i think they don't make them anymore
our century was not modified apart from the sprocket flip
over and the instalation of a green silver bullet buffer
brush ( Hate those old Carpet rollers)
buffer set on c pressure
tank set of d pressure with high flow wicks
pressure relif hole in the oil tank drilled out to 3/16
used to put out just over 18 mls per lane
we have a Hvo summit at the moment
it puts down 23 mls of prodigy through wicks
dont get me wrong im not a fan of wick machines
previously i was in centres that had Kustodians
but they can be made to work

The DBA Clear comes in a low and a high viscosity bottles, the ratio that I refer to is 70% high and 30% low blend.

12mls was and is ample for morning lane maintenance, there is not a lot of lineage during the day and with a short double oil in the afternoon of about another 8 mls a lane, it is a fair but not hard condition to bowl on for the night leagues.

Never did try the buffer brush, though I do believe that the brush puts out a more consistent and better tapering condition.........owner was happy with the condition using the carpet tube and was not prepared to spend any $$$$$$ .

I always removed the oil tank filler cap during use so the tank could breath and I used verniar calipers to measure the tank distance before adjusting the tank pressure .05 of a mm at a time............had a gemini tank with the adjustable shim every 2 boards, I 've been told before that these tanks are not very good, maybe that was the problem. No matter what I did the Prodigy was too slow and inconsistent in my Century, however I have and still use Prodigy in a Kegel machine with good results.

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom