How to read lane oiling graphs

storm53

I searched through posts and could'nt find anything on this subject, so i was just wondering if anyone knew how to read lane oiling graphs and all the other information that is presented along with it.

If anyone could tell me how to read them and what everything means, it would be very helpful to not only me but anyone else viewing this post that has as much a clue about this topic as i do.

Thankyou

Storm53, just look at the pictures, most of the other material written is in Kegal, which to the layman is the same as Klingon, only lane professionals know what it means, having said that those same professionals can't tell exactly what the lane will do.

willey

The pretty graphs show where the oil is :D

In reality, which graphs are you talking about? Composite? Overhead? Tape reading? 3-D graphs? Are these from KOSI for Kegal machines? Are they the A-22 graphs? There are many graphs and charts presented to the bowler these days.

Most of the main ones are discussed in a 5 part series called "Lane Pattern Graphs: What Do These Mean?" by Brandy Padilla in Kegals's "Cornerstone" newsletter found on the foundation300 site. Here are the links to the PDF files for each of the newsletters the article was spread over.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

In the end, the grpahs and charts are there to give you an idea of where the oil should be. They don't tell you how or where to play, just how much oil is ment to be out there and roughly what area it's in. The only type of chart that gives you a true indication of what is on the lane is a tape reading, and that's only really true for that lane on that day on that pass of the machine.

If you have 20 balls, use the charts to get that down to maybe 6 and fine tune that once you've had a practice. If you have 1 ball, don't worry about the graph!

In the end, the grpahs and charts are there to give you an idea of where the oil should be. They don't tell you how or where to play, just how much oil is ment to be out there and roughly what area it's in. The only type of chart that gives you a true indication of what is on the lane is a tape reading, and that's only really true for that lane on that day on that pass of the machine.
exactly!

Far to many bowlers are wrapped up in the graphs. The graph will not tell you about the age of the surface, friction at your individual break point, lane conditioner viscosity, if the topography of lane 1 is crowned while lane 2 is depressed, how quickly the pattern will breakdown... there is even differences between each brand of synthetic lane. The same pattern on a HPL lane may play differently to that layed on an ANVIL lane. not to even mention the variations of timber lanes

60 units of lane conditioner brand A may hold your line for 2 games but 60 units of lane conditioner B may hold your line for only 1 game before you need to make adjustments

In short as mentioned above use the graphs as a guide but remember even if we can get the machine to lay down a pattern exactly the same on each lane as soon as the first ball is bowled the graph is null and void

I understand that much, and that is why i want to know how to read them, so that before a tournament i can get a rough idea about how to play the lane for my individual style.

Thankyou to everyone who has provided information to help me figure this out

Back
Top Bottom