Ebonite No Limit

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 5 1/2"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 3 5/8"
Balance Hole: 27/32" Hole x 1 1/2" Deep - 1" Past PAP on a Line from the Pin
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

When I drilled this No Limit, I was bowling in the Ebonite sponsored True Amateur Tournament in Las Vegas. I was in need of a shiny surface ball that flared a lot. The goal was to end up with a ball that pushed easily through the front but did not flip as hard as my One and Big Time Pearl in the backend.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

Getting through the front of the lane is no problem for the No Limit. The shiny Big Bang coverstock pushes through the front of the lane very easily on most lane surfaces I've seen. Our local bowling center (Guardian Lane Surface with dry heads) doesn't even present too many problems for the No Limit. It pushes through the front of the lane and retains axis rotation for a mid-lane read.

Here's where the No Limit didn't exactly match up to what I was shooting for. The No Limit retains rotation so long for me that the backend move is fairly quick. While the ball does flare a lot through the mid-lane, the coverstock still retains a quick backend transition for my game. For me, even the high differential (.071") of the No Limit was not enough to get this coverstock to burn up a little earlier. Typically balls with differentials this high tend to burn up early and go a little straighter through the backend. While that's not always optimal, it was what I wanted in this ball reaction. Perhaps in the future, I will scuff the surface of this ball just slightly to perform to my original expectations.

The overall hook of my No Limit is extremely close to my One ball reviewed earlier on this website. This is the primary reason I will be changing the surface of this ball in the future. My One ball is so predictable that I would probably choose to use it in nearly every instance over this No Limit. But if you are looking for a unique ball reaction shape that pushes through the front of the lane easily, take a look at the No Limit from Ebonite.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

To see a picture of this ball layout, please visit my website at www.proshoptraining.com.