New tourney..Cassell Classic 20-21 July

Sue is turning 40 so we are running a tournament in her name to celebrate this milestone.

Dates: 20 and 21 July
Where: Shellharbour Bowl
Format: 4 games qualifying (multiple attempts allowed)
4 squads saturday
2 on Sunday morning before final.
Top 14 go into final
Final is same as PBA format, head to head matches best of 5 games, single elimination. Top 2 qualifiers are automatically seeded into round 2.
Win 4 matches and you win the tournament.

Cost: 1st attempt $55
Further attempts $45

Prizemoney 1st $1000 plus Storm bowling ball
2nd $700 plus storm ball
3rd round losers $450
2nd round losers $300
1st round losers $150
Any inquiries contact Sue or myself at Shellharbour Bowl on 02 42969922.

Accommodation is at the Warilla Bowls club with a cabin to sleep 6 being on $80 for the night, there are 18 still available.

This will be a great weekend of high pressure bowling, hope you can make it.

I just checked my roster, and amazingly, I have the Friday - Monday off that this tournament runs, so I am considering driving up

Andrew...You're a brave man!
I'd love to come up but I think I've retired.
icon_sad.gif

Sue..Congratulations on the upcoming birthday.

The inaugural Cassell Classic has been run and won by Jason Belmonte.

There were 65 attempts at qualifying about 30 short of expectations. The condition was a tougher style house shot, carry a little tough and surprisingly the left side did not work this event.(lefties have won just about every event at Shellharbour)

It took 823 to make the cut and top qualifiers were locals Jamie Kyriacou on 923 and Neil Donnelly on 925.

Round one matches were fairly one sided with most going 3-0 in the best of 5 format.

Round 2 matches were alot tighter with Little and Putney having a great tussle.
Game 1 AMP won 258 to 208, Game 2 Little won 258 to 226, game 3 went to Little 258 to 233, game 4 AMP drew the match winning 227 to 224, and in game 5 it went to the 10th AMP winning 187 to 185.

The final came down to Bill Gardiner and Jason Belmonte. Belmo had been on fire and had only been pushed to 4 games once. But Billy had played a 5 gamer the 1st round against Purdue, 4 games against Donnelly, and another 5 game match against Drew Charlton in the semi final. I have to say that the match looked in practice for an easy win for Belmo.

Not to be, Bill struck out from the 9th to win 214 to 213, then continued the streak winning the second 246 to 232. Belmo would need to win the next 3 to win the title and he looked to have more in the tank when he needed it, winning the last 3 games, 219-205, 211-190 and the decider was all over by the 7th frame 215 -144.
Congrats to Belmo, he picked up $900 and a Storm Blaze, the kid is just on fire and takes great form into the world youth Champs..game on.

The format was the first of it's kind in this country and whilst it was fairly well received by those that played, it will take some time for shorter formats and qualifying to be accepted.

Whilst best of 5 is great I would probably change to best of 3 for the semi and final matches and it can be a long day if your matches go to 5, (like Billy)

Thanks to everyone who competed and came to watch, most of all happy 40th to Sue. Look forward to a much bigger and better event next year at Illawarra Srikezone.
Andrew.

It was a great format and the weekend was very enjoyable. A bigger and better event next year will be awesome.

Mark the event down on the calendar.

icon_biggrin.gif

It was a great format and the weekend was very enjoyable. A bigger and better event next year will be awesome.

Mark the event down on the calendar.

icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom