WHERE: AMF Greenslopes Lanes
WHY: New Sanctioned Singles Competition open to all ages, male and female
SEASON COMMENCES: January 29, 2008
SEASON LENGTH: 45 weeks including 2 Positional Rounds
Presentation / Prizegiving: December 9, 2008
COST: $30 each week
GAMES: 4 each week
HANDICAP: 80% OF 200
(2 per game & 1 for series, scored both scratch and handicap)
PRIZE POOL: Based on 44 bowlers, over $20,000 CASH!
PRE/POST BOWLING: To enhance the competition, we plan to introduce a system of 'deferred matching'. This will enable bowlers who are unable to make the schedule to arrange a mutually convenient day & time with their opponent for the match to be played. This will be discussed further at league formation.

The lanes will be oiled just prior to the league.

PROUDLY SPONSORED BY BRUNSWICK

NOTE: This League will be managed by AMF with all prize monies held in trust by AMF.

Interested bowlers should PM Greenslopes Lanes or call the centre on 3397 6191.

I find this interesting. What field of bowlers are you trying to get in??? If it is predominantly handicap say 155 to 175 then offering 80% of 200 is silly. You should be thinking in terms of 100% of 200 or 100% of 220 if you feel there is a high level of 195+ bowlers. I am also not sure you will enhance the bowling experience by introducing "deferred matching". I would not like to get to the bowl and find out my player is not there and would like to bow some other time. Or even be told a few days before that my opponent wants to defer to another time. I know there are problems with pre-bowling but I'm not convinced this is a better way.

just some friendly feedback others may have a different point of view

I find this interesting. What field of bowlers are you trying to get in??? If it is predominantly handicap say 155 to 175 then offering 80% of 200 is silly. You should be thinking in terms of 100% of 200 or 100% of 220 if you feel there is a high level of 195+ bowlers. I am also not sure you will enhance the bowling experience by introducing "deferred matching". I would not like to get to the bowl and find out my player is not there and would like to bow some other time. Or even be told a few days before that my opponent wants to defer to another time. I know there are problems with pre-bowling but I'm not convinced this is a better way.
just some friendly feedback others may have a different point of view
I agree. I think 100% of 200 or 220 is the fairest way to go and the points system is a bit boring!! Deferring matches is just silly in my opinion. If someone can't make it or to stop pre-bowling being abused there has to be a better way.

Gentleman,

Thanks for the feedback.

With regard to handicapping, 80-90% maintains a fair playing field for both higher and lower average bowlers. Other systems have potential to unfairly advantage or disadvantage one group or another.

We believe that incorporating a dual points sytem will encourage improving bowlers (avs 160-180) to challenge themselves against the higher average bowlers and improve their game further.

The concept of 'deferred matching' is not a new one and is designed to provide a better competition. Most bowlers would agree it is better to bowl against an opponent than not.
In the instance that you arrived at the centre to bowl with no prior arrangements made for a deferred match, then the choice would be yours whether to force a forfeit or agree to a deferment should your opponent be contactable.
In my experience, bowlers who are committed to a great competition will organise themselves so that they are not calling for a deferred match on short notice with the exception of an emergency.

We invite all interested bowlers (irrespective of average) to consider joining this league. We are aiming for a competition in the true spirit of the sport: bowlers who love to bowl, and have sweetened the pot with a respectable prize pool and sponsorship by Brunswick.

Thanks again for your comments.
Looking forward to seeing you @ Greenslopes Tuesdays @ 7pm in '08.

Registration can be made via this site or telephoning the centre on 3397 6191.

Sue

Sue

I'm not bowling in 2008 but if I was I'd bowl your league purely for the fact that the handicap system is based on 200. You need to lift it to 230 or maybe 240 to stop bowlers like myself taking advantage of easy conditions and easy opponents with a handicap system which favor the scratch.

Mt Gravatt this year is proof that a 220 handicap system is not enough in this day and age. Lift it a bit more and I'm sure you'll drag some more bowlers to the league, then the best bowler will win, not the best bowler who can take advantage of a soft handicap system.

Good luck next year

Well said George. Though not in QLD and able to bowl I did not understand how a 80-90% handicap system based on 200 could be the best system for all. Although a scratch bowler myself who would have been highly advantaged I would like to see the lower average bowlers given an incentive to play. Donating is not what they want to do but with the proposed system that is exactly what they would be doing.

Just giving you all an update on this league, we currently have 10 new bowlers for the league.

You can register for the league through this site or telephoning the centre on 3397 6191.

Regards

Cloe

Back
Top Bottom