New ball wont bust up the pins.

M

Mantis

Hi folks
I have recently bought an Ebonite Maxim plastic ball of 14lb. I cannot get any strikes with it. It refuses to knock all the pins over no matter where I hit them. Seems to bounce off the front pins leaving 3 or 4 pins standing.
Could this be because the ball is still shiny? Should I rough it up a bit with a scotchbrite pad?
I can bowl plenty of strikes with the rough old centre balls. Even the light ones.

Any ideas or is this just a dud ball.?

Mantis :(

Mantis,

Plastic bowling balls are basically designed to go straight. The coverstock (plastic) isn't reactive, and there is no substantial weightblock inside of the ball to give it power. These two things are the main reason why your new ball is 'deflecting' off the pins, and not carrying the pins. The polished surface just adds to this problem.

I'm guessing you haven't been bowling all that long competitively. It may benefit you to look at investing in a lower-end reactive ball with a simple weightblock. If you talk to your local proshop where you bowl, they should be able to point you in the right direction. Some people find that the Ebonite Tornado series is a good place to start - but it's up to you.

This doesn't mean that the Ebonite Maxim plastic you have just bought is useless - most bowlers when they start to develop more and use better equipment, use a plastic ball for spares - such as the 10 pin for right handers and the 7 pin for left handers. A ball that goes straight is often an advantage in this situation.

Your best bet would be to talk to your local proshop operator. They should be able to help you out and point you in the right direction.

Cheers.

should still be able to strike with a maxim, ive got a 12lb as my spare ball and i used it for a game once as a strike ball just for kick, i ended up bowling 203 or something

Thanks guys. I have just got a Storm Bolt used ball. Need to get it plugged and redrilled and am hoping it will do a bit more damage. Its in really good shape for its age.
Now to learn how to hook. :roll:

Think of that ball as a spare ball. It's designed to spare. Unfortuanetly, spare balls aren't too good at striking. :?So u might hav a problem getting strikes.

*COSHEA* said:
should still be able to strike with a maxim, ive got a 12lb as my spare ball and i used it for a game once as a strike ball just for kick, i ended up bowling 203 or something
Strange thing. I used my 14lb spare ball once and shot 203.

Rowey
Which ball are you suggesting as a spare, the Ebonite or the Storm.

Mantis

Mantis
The ball may not be the total problem, seeing your from Horsham i guess you may have only been bowling 12 months max, it may also be the angle of entry into the pocket you are using and yes the balls you have now will do the job but may i suggest that you talk to bob and get some basics on bowling and as you learn more you will better your bowling and understand whats happening down the other end of the lane and also understand what you and your bowling style can do.
So stick with it and you will be suprised at what you maybe capable of.

Grumpy
You obviously know Bob.
I have only been bowling for about two months. Been bowling straight as I have been using the centres balls. Bob reckons about a week for the plugging and redrilling of the Storm. I will try to get some coaching from someone when it is done.
Might have to ask Bob for some part time work so I can pay for all the games :wink:

Mantis

Mantis there is a guy who bowls there named richard
he is swedish
he should be able to help with your game a little
bob is also not a bad coach

Bob has been around for a Few years in the industry,to give you some idea he has been at Chadstone(i think the first to bowl a 300 there) Morwell ,Bairnsdale and now Horsham.Been involved in many areas of the sport.

Hi All,
Bob also worked at Mildura and Warrnambool.

He bowled the first ever 300 in Victoria, I think it was in 1964.
Also think he won a car for it.

Rob

Well I'll be blowed.
Watched his grandkids bowling the other day and apparently they regularly bowl 200's, and they would be lucky to be in their teens.
Will have to tee him up for a lesson or three.

Cheers
Mantis

Although maxims are plastic, you can still strike with them. It's like using a house ball, you can strike with one of them too. I have a storm spare and i had to use it during the first day of shield trials back in december last year, coz the lanes were bone dry. It worked quite well (even though after 3 games i was 16th, then decided to pull out my biggest hooking ball and hurl it down the lane, which pushed me up to 2nd or 3rd :D:D:D)

so dont count out plastic balls, i've seen people throw 250's with a plastic ball. but good luck with your storm bolt :)

i hav a maxim and i think it works just fine.I can strike fairly easily and its spin may no be as good as a reactive ball but it gets the job done

Well I bowled an average of 145 last night with the maxim. Bob drilled out the finger holes two more sizes and now I can throw it straight. He hasn't done the drilling on the Storm yet. Cant wait to try it.

Cheers
Mantis

I was at fairlanes in WA yesterday, having a practise and Brendan Quinn says to me "get your spareball and throw it straight up 5 with alot of hand"

So I did just that, and struck 3 times in a row. Thats with a plastic spareball, therefore proving my theory that you can use anyball to strike

Back
Top Bottom