Left and right handed bowler

Captain Fudge

"Baby Boomer"
Hi Alex,
I have been asked a question which I am unable to answer and it refers to a bowler who can bowl either left or right handed.

I would appreciate it if you could check with your rules guru on the following.

It is accepted that a bowler must maintain two separate averages, one average for right handed and one for left handed. Obviously they must choose which hand they will bowl with and cannot change during that period of competition.

However, my question is actually two fold:-
(1) Can a bowler bowl as two separate bowlers for the one team? i.e. one week bowl as a left hander and another week bowl as a right hander. I would think yes.
However, the more intriguing question is,

(2) Can a bowler bowl as two separate bowlers for the one team on the same night, i.e. bowl as lead off bowler bowling say right handed and then as anchor as a left hander?

I await with interest the ruling on these questions.
Many thanks.

very good question john,

i know i am not posting on behalf of anyone, however, the rule that covers this, i believe is rule 321

"Rule 321 PARTICIPATION LIMITED (page 20 TBAL rule book ver 6.7 17-12-2006)

No player may register a score for more than one team in the same schedule of matches, nor may they participate more than once in the line-up of a team nor may they compete in more than one League simultaneously"

So my understanding of this rule limits bowlers to one place in the line-up, so i think the answer to your question would be no.

However, i await for an official reply.

Ian Jones

Kelmscott Tenpin bowl

Ian...

Wouldn't the fact that the person in question (myself) carries 2 averages (1 lefthanded 1 righthanded), be classed as 2 seperate people?

However, the more intriguing question is,
(2) Can a bowler bowl as two separate bowlers for the one team on the same night, i.e. bowl as lead off bowler bowling say right handed and then as anchor as a left hander?

Ian...

Wouldn't the fact that the person in question (myself) carries 2 averages (1 lefthanded 1 righthanded), be classed as 2 seperate people?

Androooo,

Are you struggling to get someone to bowl doubles with you down there...;)

Sorry mate couldn’t resist…:D

Andrew, do you pay 2 seperate registration fees:confused:

I just took that as a given down there…He is from Tassie Joe after all...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ian...

Androo

I bought a two-headed bear off your mum last October. Is that where she got the idea? :p

Cheers buddy

On a serious note and back to the point, under that rule in the TBA rulebook, no you cannot bowl twice in the same lineup, team, league, or simultaneous leagues, as you are still the same person - this rule relates to the actual player, not the left handed vs right handed issue.

Whether you use your left or right hand, you are still the same player, and cannot have more than one place in a lineup. Averages and hands do not come into the frame with this rule.

Just doing it to prove a point that the left side of the lane is ditched here... lol

From my understanding, the only way u can change from right to left hand on the same night is if you injury yrself.

You can not change from right in firtst game to left in second and vise versa

except in with TBA a person with a left and right hand average counts as 2 seperate people as they normally have to pay rego for both hands, at least my sister did in the nationals

The point of the rule, I would think, is about time rather than people.

If you're running from lane 1 to 24 to bowl alternate frames, you're going to slow the whole thing right down. If you paid 2 registrations, that would make you 2 different bowlers possibly... But - what's to stop me paying registration in 2 different centres and still bowling right handed...

That said, precedence has been set which allows a scratch competitor to switch hands mid frame if he wants, so if you're good enough to shoot that goddam tenpin with your left hand in the middle of Australian Masters, great. If I can switch hands in a scratch tournament, clearly I'm still the one bowler.

Could I enter Brunswick Cup twice, once with each hand?

So many considerations here, this might take Mr Coxon some time to work out :)

on another point about left and right handed bowling,

tenpin bowling is the only sport that i know of that prohibits the use of the non preferred side of the body.

every other sport (that i know of) actually encourages it particpants to use both sides.

Football (AFL), players train to kick with their "opposite" foot,
Football (soccer) do the same
Football (rugby) throw with either hands and kick with both

these three are just the beginning, so why does tenpin bowling penalise people for being good with both sides?

Ian Jones

Thought this thread was an interesting topic.

To take it on a slightly different tangent, what is the position of a person changing from 1 handed to 2 handed bowling mid way through a game ??

I can understand the rationale of left v right handed for handicap leagues, but with 2 handed being of increased popularity, should the rule now read a left handed, right handed and 2 handed average...should someone be allowed to change from 2 handed to 1 handed during a handicap game ?

(perhaps Andrew will be able to bowl triples by himself....)

Thought this thread was an interesting topic.
To take it on a slightly different tangent, what is the position of a person changing from 1 handed to 2 handed bowling mid way through a game ??
I can understand the rationale of left v right handed for handicap leagues, but with 2 handed being of increased popularity, should the rule now read a left handed, right handed and 2 handed average...should someone be allowed to change from 2 handed to 1 handed during a handicap game ?
(perhaps Andrew will be able to bowl triples by himself....)
Unless you started bowling by way of a chest pass, two hands is irrelevant. Belmo is right handed, despite using both, because the rule clearly states it's based on the ball related to the body. I can only see that this could be considered "gray" if one were to bowl with the ball directly in front of themselves on release.

Unless you started bowling by way of a chest pass, two hands is irrelevant. Belmo is right handed, despite using both, because the rule clearly states it's based on the ball related to the body. I can only see that this could be considered "gray" if one were to bowl with the ball directly in front of themselves on release.

Correct.. it states that rule clearly in the TBA rulebook. It's all about which side of the body the ball is delivered on.

i think that this guy will change the rules, he releases from in front of his body, so how would you class this then. If you pay the 2 registration fee's i feel that you should be able to bowl both spots. and as far as two handed being another, not unless you are the guy from this video

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=vOij1prDhmI"]YouTube - Incredible two handed bowling release...[/ame]

John I left the original copy for TBA to answer in the TBA forum…

Thought I would move this here for more discussion...I too found this topic very interesting

Back
Top Bottom