League Bowlers for Social bowlers.

alexnjudy

TotalBowler
To all the league bowlers whos been treated like "crap" by your centres. Do you think enough is enough? Do you think we are worst off now? Are you sick of problems after problems. I mean most centre and staff do a great job but some think they are way above us and treat us like Crap. Where do i start. Like tonight, they had six kids bowling beside us. And i mean the kids were all over the lanes. As most of you know how Tonx bowls.. my god help us before someone gets hurt! We approached the centre staff and asked them to speak to the social bowlers before someone seriously gets hurt. Guess what was their respond? Theres nothing we can do !! We got no spare lanes and you guys have to put up with them. I asked if one of the staff could watch over the social bowlers. Guess what was the respond? We don't have enough staff to do that. And i said whos going to be responsible if something nasty happens ? Theres nothing we can do !! And we were told the social bowlers pay better rate than us. I lost the plot and for once told them what i thought of their service. Why everytime we try to fix a problem we are shut down. Why are we told , if you not happy go somewhere else? Aren't they suppose to help and fix it for us. We do Pay .
Do you think we the league bowlers getting short changed. Are we worst off with the service ? When are we going get a fair go from our local centres? Yes i know i am frustated but if we don't speak up now its going to get worst. Trust me. Anyone else facing the same problems?
Ps just got a pm from our bowler. Don't forget to mention how they tried to fit 3 teams into one lane because they over booked the lanes for a house tournament. We are talking about Sanctioned League !!

I got news for you, AMF dont give a s**t about league bowlers because we dont spend as much money at the bowling alley (per visit not all up) like the social bowlers do and we complain more (obviously). Macquarie took over AMF to simply make money and do it in any way necessary and if that means driving the league bowlers away by any means necessary well so be it. Unfortunately they are they have the largest market share in Australia and they will continue to buy out all the other centres until we are under a complete monopoly. They bought Bowl Australia and Kingpin and they will continue to buy out centres all over Australia. To sum up we are Macquarie's worst customers in terms of money spent per visit and they dont want us there.

no offence alex but get over it...jhk67 is 100% correct... if you hate it some much goto another center or stop bowling...the social bowlers are there to have fun and so should you...oh and by the way its only league....if it was a tournment i would feel your pain but leagues arent won over one week...

Drew mate,
I am talking about kids getting serious injury here mate. If you are a parent, you will understand what am worried about. I know kids will be kids but a bowler with a bowling ball in full swing is a worry to me and it should be a worry to every staff member. So whos responsible for it? I know i have been bowling long enough to put up with social bowlers and i don't mind them but the staff should "guide" and watch the safety of their bowlers. Sometimes staff need to use some common sense in putting which social bowlers beside a league. Don't you agree? Fun is one thing but getting a life time injury is not what i call fun. No offence Drew.
Regards
Alex

alexnjudy said:
Drew mate,
I am talking about kids getting serious injury here mate. If you are a parent, you will understand what am worried about. I know kids will be kids but a bowler with a bowling ball in full swing is a worry to me and it should be a worry to every staff member. So whos responsible for it? I know i have been bowling long enough to put up with social bowlers and i don't mind them but the staff should "guide" and watch the safety of their bowlers. Sometimes staff need to use some common sense in putting which social bowlers beside a league. Don't you agree? Fun is one thing but getting a life time injury is not what i call fun. No offence Drew.
Regards
Alex

Easy solution, do what i did a few years back, kicked a ball being held by a kid while i was bowling league, dislocated his finger and brused his cheek from when he fell from the impact, the partents were told time and time again, as well as the counter staff to make sure they didn't run onto the lane when we were bowling, the worst part is there were free lanes!!!

We put social bowlers next to leagues as a last resort. If it's the only free lane for the next 30mins and people want to bowl, we put them on. But first we explain to them that there is a league and make sure they give way. It's a business so we can't turn away customers, and most bowling centres are short staffed these days so a staff member can't be spared to keep an eye on bowlers. In the end all we can do is explain as best we can why they should give way.

Alex, in a situation like yours, I think the best solution would have been for Tonx to do his 3 lane wander. If he does it enough it will soon help social bowlers realise something your league already knows... it's not safe up there when he has a ball in hand!! :D

The issue last night, was that there was several free lanes that were not directly near the league. The distraction is minimal and doesn't bother me, but if a kid went home with a bowling ball as a new head, I would cop the blame.

In last nights case, when you have 6 kids on the approach at one time, with 2 adults 'helping' them bowl, it becomes downright dangerous.

tonx said:
The issue last night, was that there was several free lanes that were not directly near the league. The distraction is minimal and doesn't bother me, but if a kid went home with a bowling ball as a new head, I would cop the blame.
In last nights case, when you have 6 kids on the approach at one time, with 2 adults 'helping' them bowl, it becomes downright dangerous.

I don't often agree with the hack, but in this instance i have to

I agree the dangers involved could be major ..as to what happen to a kid many years a go at chaddy......as a bowler went to deliver smack right in the face .....OUT COLD ...as a parent I would have sued the arse out of AMF but it wasn't my kid so !!!! dont just tell the kids what they are supposed to do ,supervision is the way to go !!!!

Take this as you may, but the problem has been going on for ever & it will not change until there is a serious injury to a kid & a high priced barrister gets involved & sues the suitcase out of some unlucky centre &/or the staff that are on duty for not taking duty of care into consideration when placing the unknowing general public in an un-safe situation. Until that occurs unfortunately the only practical, (for league bowlers), solution that rarely works is to point out to the parents/guardians of the little tackers that bowlers while bowling can't see behind themselves when swinging a ball & the resultant impact with a child, or some-one larger, could quite easily end up in more the just a bruise & a lot of tears. Of course the other method that I have seen is to drop the ball on the approach, good for getting attention, turn to the offending person/s & giving them a spray then taking a seat & wait for who-ever @ the front counter to realise their mistake & hastily try to calm everone down while they miraculously find those non existant free lanes. The last method just mentioned I have personally seen work although it was followed by some very vigorous discussions in the following days between management, the league & the bowler concerned but here we are several years down the track & it still happens.

The Bert said:
no offence alex but get over it...jhk67 is 100% correct... if you hate it some much goto another center or stop bowling...the social bowlers are there to have fun and so should you...oh and by the way its only league....if it was a tournment i would feel your pain but leagues arent won over one week...

Just my opinion on the matter, but isn't true that the average league bowler would spend more inside a centre than a social bowler?

I pay $15 a week in bowling fees, buy food and drink while I'm bowling and I also come in at other times for a social game. I'd hate to see how much people pay when their in 2 or 3 leagues! Over a normal 40 week season with 12 teams of 5 players, that equates to a good amount of consistent revenue.

I agree that social players need to be supported and that without them, a large amount of revenue would be lost by centres. The question is, what are the centre's priorities? The people who come in say once a month and spend an extra $10 on that one day, or the people who are loyal to the sport and pay serious amount of money over a 12 month period?

Like others have said, I can put up with a large group of children on neighbouring lanes, but these priorities need to be set straight so that all league bowlers know where they stand.

Again, just my thoughts :neutral:

Nighteyes300 said:
Easy solution, do what i did a few years back, kicked a ball being held by a kid while i was bowling league, dislocated his finger and brused his cheek from when he fell from the impact, the partents were told time and time again, as well as the counter staff to make sure they didn't run onto the lane when we were bowling, the worst part is there were free lanes!!!
Now i know why theres no kids around your lanes when you are bowling John ;)
I can't agree more with what Mick and Jeff said. Supervision and Duty of Care At All Times While you are bowling !!. What's happening in regards with the service and care is shocking and sad but like i said before someone have to speak out before something serious happens. If i am the bad apple so be it, atleast my bowlers don't have to fork out their hard earned money when our league gets sued by parents. At the moment its like lets fill it to the max and lets make as much money as we can. Let's not worry about safety and care while people are bowling. Take their cash, ask for their shoe sizes and show them their lanes and and say go and bowl ! Wham, another dollar for my boss and my company.And before they leave make sure give them a smile and say, " Thanks for coming and we hope you had a great time" Please come again. Like Luke said,we all know they are running a business and we have to be fair to them too. We are talking about a buffer zone or some sort of common sense. Luke mate, regarding Tonx and his 3 lane bowling. You know what the kids were saying? Wow i wan't to bowl like that guy..all 3 lanes. Don't you agree one Tonx is enough hehe. Can we afford another lit Tonx ;)
I am a businessman too and i know when to say sorry i can't do your job because we are fully booked.
If we take our two leagues to another centre they will lose 100 K. Thats how much we are paying, so don't tell us the social bowlers paying better rate. I think it will put a big hole in their yearly budget !! Before some smartass jump in and tell us you should be looking for somewhere else to bowl, yes we are looking. Give the league bowlers a fair go and protect our bowlers from possible legal suit that may cost in millions. Yes it is my concern and this should be a major concern for every league bowlers. The staff can't say to the league bowlers ..theres nothing we can do :rolleyes:

Alex ,
Very true , league bowlers are the base of a centres business. Social bowlers are the cream on the top.All you need to do is a head count on the number of league bowlers to come through the door each week , and the numbers will show you. As a whole social bowlers put a lot of money in the centre but a league bowler is repeat business,
Social bowlers might buy a few hotdogs and cokes but does that stack up against a new bowling ball or two . If the centre is full with social and league bowlers , and a league lane has a break down thats an issue , but most of all safety , many times you see children bowling as a group and they all stand up on the approach. I dont want to hurt a child but i dont think i should be responsable if the centre doesnt use a bit of care .

Chrissy

Thanks to Total Bowling, things have improved tremendously at our bowl ;) The staff can see where we league bowlers are coming from. It is good to see something positive coming out of this thread.
Who said putting a post here is waste of time? See people do read our thread and we do see some action. Keep them feedback coming.
Putting a post at Total Bowling is Priceless :cool:

Isn't it great to see this site being used for good & not evil. For those that don't recognise it, that was a joke & now I will have a lay down.

Apparently AMF or a few centres is owned by some big real estate agent from what I have heard.

That's prob why some centres are in desperate need of an upgrade to software and of course the building etc.
They most likely dont give a rats as long as they are making money.

As for the staff,
some are brillant,friendly,have a joke etc,but then you get some who are just stuck up and have the 'I dont give a fu*k about you or your league' attitude.
It's terrible.

Back
Top Bottom