Junior Nationals Intercentre Cup

B

bigmarkus

Hey Guys and Gurls,

My name is Mark Newton and i bowled in the national intercentre cup this year. I am appauled at the fact that it is run off handicaps. Upon entering there was no request on the form for averages or handicaps so i came to the assumption that it was a scratch tournament and that the competition would be stiff. But it was quite the opposite.the top eight scratch scores over the eight games bolwed not one of them got intop the top eight cut off. My team bowled a second place scratch scoer behind the boys from bankstown. The team that took home the cup had an overall handicap of over 3000 that alone was half our scratch score. My definition of a national champion bowling team is beating the best by how good bowlers they are not beating them because they have a 700and 30 head start on someone with a 74 head start. I was just wondering about peoples opinions on handicaps adn if they agree with me.

2002 National Intercentre Cup

Yeah dude i totally agree with you, but i think really the intercentre cup is meant for the little kiddies anyway. We all bowled well and its just a shame that we didnt make the cut ay. Still im pretty proud of 2nd place scratch. Its like a replica sorta Presidents Sheild thing, but with handicaps and younger kids, but it was our first year, we learnt a lesson. :lol:

although i didn't bowl in the event i did spectate and it was quite interesting to watch becuase it was the first national bowling event i had seen live. i think that if you wanna bowl in something scratch you are better of going for Presidents Shield. Although hard to get in, it would be worth it. Well done Salamander who got out there and had a go for the first time. You showed the centre proud.

InterCentre Challenge Cup

Hi bigmarkus - a couple of facts : our entry clearly stated a "five person team ...... on a handicap of 90% of 200"; secondly, check the final standings: Jakicalubr (Werribee Superbowl, Vic) third scratch - qualified eighth - finished sixth - with a handicap of only 169 per game. We had a great time, in a great event. If scratch is your game try President's Shield or the Royale Rumble.

Catch you on the lanes sometime. 8)

Hey bigmarkus!! Interesting topic, this one could and probably will get a lot of mixed reactions. Well my opinion of the Intercentre Cup is that is there for the young ones who werent quite good enough to make their shield team to get the feel of 5-man competition. If you look at it, after you eliminate all the bowlers bowling in shield, there isnt (i would think) a lot of others that could keep up with a scratch event because you could have some teams who have bowlers who havent bowled Nationals before. With the handicap event, it opens up the event for any bowlers who can provide a team and the event has plenty of teams. With a scratch event, the event may not have that many teams and therefore not as much competition and therefore may not be able to be run. I think the Intercentre Cup is a great event to prepare the juniors that missed out on their respective State Team to get familiar with 5-man teams events and feel the pressure of the competition around them. If people know they are going to be disadvantaged by the handicap, why submit to bowling in a team??? That as i say is my personal opinion and i really hope no one has taken offence to it, because that is the last thing i mean for it to do. Someone asked for opinions and thats what i have given. :twisted:

Hey every1,

I agree with Chipis 100%...
i bowled in the tournament and it was my first 5 man teams event(only been bolwing 8 months) and although we had some experienced bowlers in our team we also had some real beginners but at the end of the day if every team bowls to there average every1's...although i do know that is alot easier for a less experienced bowler with a 120 average to bowl 20 over average every game than it is for those guys with 200 averages. but on whole the tournament was ok....

hey guys thanx for ur input
i am sorry for being wrong about the handicap part
i must admit i would have thought twice about entering if i had spotted that. i mean no offence to the people that bowled in it and had high handicaps. i once too had a high handicap. thanx ne way and keep the posts coming.

Back
Top Bottom