Is It Just Me ?

jimcross

IS IT JUST ME ? I have the impression that this site generally ( grouping all the forums together) is MUCH less used over recent months. It seems to me that there was always a number of lively discussions going on a good variety of bowling subjects. It seems to date from around the last site upgrade. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not linking it to that , in a 'cause and effect' manner, I'm just trying to put a finger on the time frame.

Is it my imagination? Does the site have stats which can say yes or no? OR has everyone just talked themselves out?

Tenpin Bowling Show has gone. Not Total Bowling too, please.

I have noticed the same Jim. It has been quiet lately.

There are other bowling forums and a lot on FaceBook these days also.

Same here. Hence my post last week about it.

5 years ago, there were countless bowlers on here all the time and posting new topics and maintaining good discussion.

Now, if you post a good topic. It's the same 8-10 people discussing it.

I think it can be a multitude of things. The mods on this site have their own lives, full time jobs, businesses etc, so don't always have the opportunity to maintain things.

Life in general take precedence, as opposed to coming to a bowling forum, I know I haven't checked the place in a fair while until the other day. It could also have something to do with the lack of tournament activity since really late July.

And most topics on this forum have been discussed a few times in various threads over the years and people are probably tired of the same thing rehashing itself every 12 months or so.

Who knows really, but some possible reasons.

I think there are several factors. First, is alot of the bowlers that used to post like crazy were a lot younger and now have more time consuming jobs/careers and families etc. I think Facebook really killed the forum in general.

Can't really do much about that other than keep the content going on the site and hope for the best really.

IS IT JUST ME ? I have the impression that this site generally ( grouping all the forums together) is MUCH less used over recent months. It seems to me that there was always a number of lively discussions going on a good variety of bowling subjects. It seems to date from around the last site upgrade. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not linking it to that , in a 'cause and effect' manner, I'm just trying to put a finger on the time frame.

Is it my imagination? Does the site have stats which can say yes or no? OR has everyone just talked themselves out?

Tenpin Bowling Show has gone. Not Total Bowling too, please.

Well when most of the posts are about 300s bowled and the rest complaining about lane conditions what would one expect

And one of of our moderators advertising golf products in his footer (As some see golf as the opposition (Bit like advertising ford spare parts on a holden forum))

the fact is TB has been dying slowly for quite a while now. If anyone bothered to count the number of posts each day you would find it has dropped a lot and is still dropping.

RIP totalbowling.

It's a problem considering most tournaments (at least in QLD) are only advertised on here... Flyers are almost non existent

Androooooo, I Don't think you should Pander to one individual, not knowing Nev, I think he is a bit sensitive about your Avatar etc. This has nothing at all to do with the lack of Posts on this site. I've noticed a lot less Topics coming through now, it did pick up when John Velo was posting a lot more but he seems be only replying to posts.

Traditionally Tenpins and Golf have been Partners over the Years, think of someone of the Callibre of Mark Calcaveccio, won the British Open, unfortunately ahead of Greg Norman and( somebody can fill in the Blank) , he was said to have been in Bowling Centres all his life because his Parents either owned or Managed them, he held an average over 200. I know Fred Borden when he came to Australia told us about the Bowling Golf Leagues he Bowled in, where all the Prize Moneys went to pay for a Trip for a Golfing Holiday, where they all just played Golf.

willey

the fact is TB has been dying slowly for quite a while now. If anyone bothered to count the number of posts each day you would find it has dropped a lot and is still dropping.

RIP totalbowling.

Why do i get the feeling you are happy about that?

As someone who has been around these forums for about 10 years here are my thoughts:

- There doesn't seem to be excitement or build up around major tournaments anymore. Back in the day there used to be competitions to guess qualifying averages to win a ball, AMF and Totalbowling worked together quite closely, TB through first Graham Williams and then Jase Pearson would go to the events and provide live scores, take videos of bowlers in qualifying, do interviews with some of the elite bowlers, etc for all the people watching back at home. This is not a critism of anyone, the cost and time that went into this would have been substantial and it is a credit to TB and the guys that this happened at all and especially for so many years.
- A decline in competitive events, especially in Queensland. While TB was set up to be an Australian bowling site, the nature of where it was run from and who was involved meant that QLD was a huge driver for the initial popularity of the site. Many contributors from those days no longer post in these forums (BFCC, Dwambo, Dave Hardy just to name a couple). BFCC was a major driver behind the original Sports Series up here long before the other states took up their own series, we now don't even have a series here anymore. This again is not in any way a critism of anyone, these guys put in so much for so long and were amazing. Other things that have disappeared include the Grand Prix series (Brisbane Cup, Western Open, Redcliffe City Open, Capalaba Cup and of course the Greenslopes Classic are all gone, although the Capalaba Cup made somewhat of a comeback this year but not as part of a series. These were all scratch tournaments). You'd also regularly see skins at various centres and you'd have the best in the area turning up, this is much rarer these days.
- The decline of genuinely competitive leagues that aren't just social or all based on handicap I believe is also having an impact on the overall sport.
- The constant negativity. The sky is falling! It's getting a bit old and tired.
- The personal attacks. While back in the day there used to be some strong arguements (I remember well when you'd turn up to bowling and someone would say "did you see such and such on TB" and things would get heated on the forums) these days it seems a lot nastier and more vitriolic.
- Too many individual forums. Makes it hard to keep up when you're busy.
- Too much focus by some on "Internet etiquette and Internet speak" for want of a better term and not enough focus on it just being a bowling community where people can hang out and discuss things. For example a new person asking a question and being told to search as its already been asked, wrong forum, using acronyms like IMHO, FWIW, M2C, IIRC, etc, is it really that hard to type like a normal person? SIWPBFFTC (sorry I will probably be flamed for this comment).

Graham and Jase did a great job for many years running this site and helping along tournament bowling in this country and I don't blame them at all for taking a back seat to focus on other interests. The time and cost would have been huge. Androo has done a good job as essentially a caretaker.

I hope TB has a long future ahead of it and hopefully more people will get involved again.

Androooooo, I Don't think you should Pander to one individual, not knowing Nev, I think he is a bit sensitive about your Avatar etc. This has nothing at all to do with the lack of Posts on this site. I've noticed a lot less Topics coming through now, it did pick up when John Velo was posting a lot more but he seems be only replying to posts.

Traditionally Tenpins and Golf have been Partners over the Years, think of someone of the Callibre of Mark Calcaveccio, won the British Open, unfortunately ahead of Greg Norman and( somebody can fill in the Blank) , he was said to have been in Bowling Centres all his life because his Parents either owned or Managed them, he held an average over 200. I know Fred Borden when he came to Australia told us about the Bowling Golf Leagues he Bowled in, where all the Prize Moneys went to pay for a Trip for a Golfing Holiday, where they all just played Golf.

willey

Well considering two of his latest posts were about my signature, it must have been a problem...

And filling in your blank....Calcavecchia beat Norman and Wayne Grady in a 4 hole playoff at Royal Troon in 1989

As far as Totalbowling goes, Easy Tiger is correct, I am only a caretaker. This site is still owned by Jase Pearson. I would love to make this site my own, however, I do not have the time and/or funds to get it back where it was. When Graham had the site, he used to get an allowance by a "major sponsor" to travel to the Super Six events at the time to do live scoring, photos ect. I even got a couple of trips to help out at the SPC a couple of years. When the person that gave the allowance left the business, funds were no longer available, as they said they could do the job better and cheaper.... We all know how that worked out, then TBA basically assumed the position.

I'm sure if someone would like to buy the site from Jase, he would listen.

Back
Top Bottom