How tough does bowling have to be???

Could not read wiser words people than the above from Terry.

You never want a tourney to be a carry contest. You want patterns that punish poor shotmaking and reward accuracy. It does not matter what age group you are, junior, youth, open or senior. To those who whinge constantly about patterns and ratios, i say, go back to league play on a high ratio, ditch. From the scoring i saw on the spreadsheet and having not being at the tournament, it looked fair enough.

Just wished open events got the numbers the senior events get. Great field and from all appearances a great event, as Caboolture always delivers. Well done to all that worked hard to make it sucha great turnout. Great numbers always makes a tourney a success regardless of scoring and age.

Well done again to all that put this one on.

Jase

Dockers,
Whilst I respect your right to comment on anything you wish, and I very much respect that you are a Hall of Famer,
you also should remember that you haven`t bowled a ball in well over a decade, and "UNINFORMED" comments should be kept to the personal pages of
the romance magazines. Ther are two different "Atlanta" patterns, (one on the Kegel website, and one on the WTB site) both are completely different,
and both play vastly different. to be able to comment on how the conditions played, you need to lay both at the same time, at the same centre, have the same lineage, and have the same weather as we did on the weekend. The one we were given was the one from the WTB site. I have never ever been in the class of bowlers like Terry Wenban, Rob Zikman,Warren Stewart, Steve Bell, and so on, and I never will be, but I do know enough to know that at no time on the entire weekend did Caboolture play like a reverse block.
I always travel to tournaments to bowl (hopefully well), and god forbid to enjoy the company of the great friends I`ve made. I`ve never
abused any of the organisers, and may I be struck down immediately if I`ve ever thought of abusing a sponsor, but the weekend just gone, has just made sure that my tenure in the game is very short, both as a sponsor and a competitor. The personal abuse hurled at me on the weekend by no fewer than three bowlers and one spectator, was uncalled for. As a competitor, well, I used to know a bloke called Animal that could throw a reasonable
shot, but alas, along came severe Arthur Itis in the right hand. I could get the ball to the pocket from deep outside to deep inside, but unfortunately I can no longer impart the energy required for the ball to carry when it gets there. I can assure you that had the youth or aduts bowled on that pattern, the scores would have been very high. As the Americans have found out, these " challenging " patterns of today are geared to suit the power players, and the strokers struggle a lot more. Tenpin bowling in Australia struggles to attract sponsors, and when they get sponsors, it is the only sport where they are treated like shit. The ones who support their sponsors, and you know who you are, know that a mere "thank you" is appreciated greatly, the ones who don`t, and think they`re entitled to sponsorship, both personally and tournament wise, need to understand that no-one is entitled to anything.
You get what you earn. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Animal

ps:- yes it is Animal.

I agree with Terry..........also reverse block.......what reverse block.......certainly not on the left.......could have done with a bit more oil...........but hey, do with what you got........but all in all a score-able condition..........and a great tournament............

Was going to be my last ever............but I'm not so sure now...........my head is in a spin about retiring..but bowling with some of these great names like John Ford...Jagga....so on...do it so well at there age , I think to myself I'll miss it....so I'll take on a day by day basis I think........

Cheers

Tony

Animal,
It is extremly sad to hear that you were abused by "no fewer than three bowlers and one spectator"; however, please accept that there were many many others that did not. Please do not punish the majority for the minority actions. I am not a regular tournament bowler but I do believe everyone who visits more then one center in Brisbane knows the name Animal and is aware of how much he has done and continues to do for this sport.
I was not there on the week end; however, I have not heard of any tournament run at Cabo that has not been run well. And normally well supported by sponsors and bowlers. This is only due to the hard work put in to the game by people like yourself, your wife and Batesy. Thank you for being part of the game I love to play and I hope you can continue to support us bowlers into the future.

I just want to say a few things:

Thanks to all the bowlers for your support.

Thanks to the sponsors.

The tournament was based on 90 bowlers which we haven't been able to achieve for a few years, the number of games and scheduling was done on that figure and done a lot of months ago. We were still receiving deposits and confirmations up to a few days before the event was scheduled to start. When we got to a day or two before the start it was clear we were going to achieve over 100 bowlers which is fantastic. I then looked at the bowlers who were bowling in B squad and there was several Grand Seniors who would have arrived at the centre at 4.00pm for check-in and started bowling at approx 5.00pm and not finished until 1.30am, I'm sorry for changing the format so late but I have always tried my hardest to do the right thing for all my customers Social, League and Tournament and I believed I was doing the best thing.

This was an over 50's Tournament not a survival of the fittest Challenge, High humidity and temps were forecast and that also helped me make the decision.
Congratulations again to the 2013 Champions in our 9th Hammer Seniors Classic.

Yours in Bowling

Brian Bates

I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion however I decided to make a few observations of my own.

1. I don't think the lane conditions were as bad as they have been made out to be, I was surprised at the lack of oil given it was a WTA approved condition however the same same cream rose to the top ant the best bowlers their finished up the top.

2. I was surprised at the decision to reduce the number of games, given that when we were checking in paying $210 for 18 games the decision had already been made to reduce the games to 16 this would seem to be taking money under false pretences and probably against the law, "false advertising" and if challenged could result in bowlers claiming all their expenses back.

3. Then after taking the bowlers money for 18 games announcing that the games have been reduced to 16 game. The decision to raffle off $800 of the bowlers money which there were not entitled to, without consulting the bowlers who's money they were then giving away I think this is again would be against the law if challenged.

4. To hold a raffle which I thought was for a bowling ball and then have a 1st prize of 1/2 an entry into next years event, given the money collected by the raffle was very poor.

5. Also I am not a fan of pre arranged lane draws, I think that if every bowler draws the own lane draw and partners out of a hat it is a lot less open to critism.

As I said these are just observations

My understanding of the original post from dockers, is that it was from the observation of dockers that either a reverse block was put down or the line bowlers were using was causing the ball to skid past the break point causing the ball to hit the 3-6 pocket.

Reading other post it seems what my thoughts were is correct, that there was no reverse block at any point during the tournament.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but a Kegel machine with sanction technology was used?

Will a little lesson on that, it is impossible for a Kegel lane machine with sanction technology to put down a reverse block, look at the attached program sheet

Left end stream is the board on the left of which oil will be applied; Right end stream is the boar on the right of which this stream will stop, so oil had been applied from the 2nd board on the left to the 2nd board on the right. Loads or streams in the number of times this is repeated. Next is 6-6-1. So that is 6th board from the left to the 6th board on the right applied once. And so on.

What I have found, whenever putting down a pattern that has a ratio of at least 6-1 or lower is bowlers attempt to bowl the same line as they would on a house pattern, but with more oil on the outside of the lane the ball would just skid through, time and time again I hear the lanes are reversed blocked. NO you need to move right on the approach (for R/H) and bowl the ball straighter down the right hand side of the lane. Amazing how many people like the pattern after learning that simple little thing.

The lower the ratio, the more oil on the outside of the lane, the more the ball will skid out, the more you have to review your approach i.e. line, speed, release etc.

When lanes are freash there are some circumstance where the lanes WILL play like a reverse block that have nothing to do with this type of pattern being put down, they are lanes not being washed properly (leaving a greasy film on the outside of the lane) or lane panel damage in the form of glazing (putting down high ratio patterns with little to no oil on the outside will result in the high friction balls we all use, taking all the texture off the lane surface making it smooth, it becomes a polished surface that oil will not bond to and balls get no grip to hook from, that’s right the high scoring lanes you want are damaging the surface making the lanes play like CRAP in the future)

Really my rant is about someone posting misleading information that other people that might not know any better reading and thinking it’s the truth. Then people complain to bowling centre owners, manager, staff & techs and have no idea what they are talking about, plus you get the few who become abusive. I feel your pain there Animal.

Attachments

• 2011 EBT 07 5th Qubica AMF Open.pdf
    96.1 KB · Views: 25
This has nothing to do with the positives only the negs but boy am i sick of hearing about how conditions play ,brake down, reverse blocks come into play, temperature and 100 other things you people come up with,, just bowl the best you can have a good time try your hardest maybe, be prepared to maybe move yu feet , i know most of you people don't like doing that ha ha ha just handle it but if all else fails give up and go home and water your garden or something and to LAWRIE 100% agree if you don't look after your sponsors they mysteriously disappear and boy you guys need sponsors
just one more thing Heather would come back even if she came last

4. To hold a raffle which I thought was for a bowling ball and then have a 1st prize of 1/2 an entry into next years event, given the money collected by the raffle was very poor.

Carol here..
I feel offended that my integrity has been called into question over a raffle
The Hammer Classic has always ran a raffle - early years the raffle was always supplied by Andrew Drew... now we do a 1/2 spot with the hope that a bowler may appreciate it and so far it has been !
At no time was it ever announced that a bowling ball was on raffle - even the TV monitors avertised that the raffle was a 1/2 spot in the 2014 Hammer Classic.
As for the money Raised $220.00 ($1 a ticket or 6 for $5) to be precise.... (not every one bought tickets and I have no problem with that!)
it went to pay for
  • the 1/2 spot $105.00
  • balance $115.00 put into the bank to assist in the accredation of 2014.
we considered it quite a fair prize... perhaps next year you may wish to donate something of a greater value

the only time anything to do with a ball, was mention was on the entry form - $500.00 cash prize for the first 300 bowled USING a Hammer Ball which alas did not go off and you can be assured I had my cheque book with me to pay on the spot as I have done in the past..

at the end of the day no one twisted any arms to purchase a ticket!
my rant over
Carol
Unappreciated Sponsor
Fundraiser and Co promoter of the 2014 HAMMER Classic .... MAYBE!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully the minority of bowlers who happened to complain haven't broken the spirit of Mr and Mrs Animal. With over 100 bowlers at this years event, If 5% don't return next year there will still be close to 100 bowlers next year... It would be a shame for the bowling community as a whole to lose such a proud sponsor.

In response to an earlier post re: lane machine

Yes it's a kegel with sanction technology with all upgrades..
The backends are clean as a whistle.. Always
You most certainly can lay a pattern with a sanction machine that plays a rb..

Glad u said that mothership, I thought this was a seniors tournament but it sounds like some spoilt 5 year olds were allowed to play too. Can't believe what I'm hearing. Animal and Carol are bowling GODS in Qld and I am disgusted to hear some of this rubbish

At the end of the day there is only one happy person and that is the winner. However at the end of the day most of the time the winner hasn't learnt much/anything, the rest of the field from last to 2 learn alot eg what their strengths are and what needs to be worked on regardless if it's a senior event or not.

I know that I am one of the middle of the road bowlers, however, I do bowl better on some patterns that others and I did struggle on the weekend. I spoke to Batesy on the weekend and he was most upset that the bowlers were unhappy with the condition but TBA instructed him to lay that pattern because of the world cup team trials. I honestly believe that Batesy, Animal and Carol put on the best tournament for us that they can. Animal does a great deal of sponsorship and that should be appreciated. Also, Batesy has always looked after his bowlers, even the league bowlers with cheap practice for all of us. I think it is a shame that the minority have abused Animal - it should not happen. Everyone has bad days, it shouldn't be taken out on the organisers.
Having 100 bowlers was also an issue because the lateness finishing of the second squad "senior" bowlers. Cutting to 16 games was the tournament director's decision and as such I abide by the decision. To be honest, I would have preferred that the two games cut on the Saturday be added to Sunday - then again, it may have ended too late for the interstate bowlers' flights home.
Even though this tournament was not a good result score wise for me, I still put my name down for next year as did many others.
Lastly, I wish to congratulate Batesy, Animal and Carol for a well run tournament under extreme heat conditions.
Also, congratulations to Heather and Warren great bowling.
See you "all" next year in Caboolture.
Annie

Great tournament. Well done to Animal, Carol, Brian & sponsors. Congrats to Warren & Heather.

I for 1 did'nt have a problem with the condition. Did'nt find it that tough. Was the humidity that killed me.

As for abusing the sponsors &/or organizers. Grow up people, sponsors are in short supply when it comes to tenpin bowling. They fade away fast enough, no need to give them a reason to leave prematurely.

Hopefully Animal, Carol, Brian & the Sponsors will be back next year knowing that there are far more people that appreciate all there hard work every year.

The tournament will be just as successful next year with three less bowlers. Complaints & criticism are one thing, abuse is another - sans an apology, don't invite those bowlers back next year. Problem solved.

Hi guys, I have been reading all the posts and I would like now to wade in as well
I can honestly say that I did not execute my shots as best I could, no one elses fault but me. End of story!!!
To improve we all need to play on more demanding patterns, and not the standard house pattern were you close your eyes and still average 210 plus
I will be back next year as really enjoy bowling and competing and of course catching up with friends from interstate
A big thank you to animal and carol for the continued support, you both do so much.......please stay involved
Thank you to the Bowl and bowling staff for all their efforts
Lastly congratulations to warren and heather, both of whom were the most consistant and worthy winners
See you all in Melbourne
Cheers
Phil

I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion however I decided to make a few observations of my own.

1. I don't think the lane conditions were as bad as they have been made out to be, I was surprised at the lack of oil given it was a WTA approved condition however the same same cream rose to the top ant the best bowlers their finished up the top.

2. I was surprised at the decision to reduce the number of games, given that when we were checking in paying $210 for 18 games the decision had already been made to reduce the games to 16 this would seem to be taking money under false pretences and probably against the law, "false advertising" and if challenged could result in bowlers claiming all their expenses back.

3. Then after taking the bowlers money for 18 games announcing that the games have been reduced to 16 game. The decision to raffle off $800 of the bowlers money which there were not entitled to, without consulting the bowlers who's money they were then giving away I think this is again would be against the law if challenged.

5. Also I am not a fan of pre arranged lane draws, I think that if every bowler draws the own lane draw and partners out of a hat it is a lot less open to critism.

Then this event off the lanes and probably on ( can't say without watching you bowl) sounds like it is not your cup of tea then.

I was not at the tournament but i also take offence to this as this is very belittling to Lawrie & Carol and these guys bust their asses for our sport and you are questioning theirs, and Batesy's integrity by such crap!

I suggest stay at home next year in January and put your feet up with your slippers and pipe perhaps.

Disgusted!

Jase

Back
Top Bottom