How much time and effort??

E

elmo

Just wondering how many games per week, (practice and league), people, (the elite 8) and the average chucker :cry: ) are putting into their bowling? What they are averaging? And how much difference they feel that this extra effort makes to their game?

Thanks also to Graham & co for the time and effort that goes into this excellent site :wink: ,
Regards, Lill.

At the moment I only bowl 3 games a week (League) and have been doing that for a few years and my average is 206. When I was averaging between 130 to 180 I use to bowl as much as I could. I use to bowl 2-3 leagues a week, as well as one sunday a month and sub a couple of leagues (I was single and lived at home). I also use to go to a coach when I had a problem with my game. I think it helped alot to get my average to where it is today. I would like to think if I bowled more I could improve but once a week is all I can afford these days.

What you mean is once a week is all your wife will allow you to bowl.

See you Friday Paul.. (And PS don't forget my Video Essentials disk)

Hi Lill,

I'd only bowled a few times socially before getting a job at Fairlanes City Bowl in March. Got into league bowling in May, and at 19 years of age, I'm deffinately a newbie, but thanks to my job I get a lot of free bowling in, and try and use that to my advantage as much as I can.

So usually, I bowl around 6-9 :oops: games per week, but have at times bowled close to 20! ayayay I've had a few great bowlers give me quite a few tips. Lately Clinton Phelps has been pretty damn helpful, helpin me out a bit with my game but also with bowling equipment.

Have been averaging a steady 170 lately, and manage to get in bout 2 200+ games a week (237 the other night!!).

I'm going on a holiday around the world next week and won't be back for 3 and a half months, but as soon as I get back, I'm going to look into getting some coaching once a week, joining a more competative league and see where I go from there!

The extra effort has deffinately helped me with my confidence and mental game. I think although there are deffinately several advantages to bowling frequently, the main one for me is feeling confident on the lanes.

I've still got a hell of a long way to go, but I'm trying ! :)

Andrew

for me it is usually 11 games a week... 2 3-game leagues on tuesday and thursday nights and a 5-game singles league on saturday...
i find this is enough and a welcome rest from what i used to do... (league 3 times a week plus training an extra day or two as well as before league --- would sometimes find myself in a bowling alley 6 or even 7 days a week)
then took a few weeks off at the end of last year and has rekindled the enjoyment of the sport, getting back to looking forward to league instead of thinking of it as a chore and something i wanted to get over and done with...

and now at the moment i'm bowling around the 190 to mid 200 mark (well for the last 2 months at least) and am feeling like i'm throwing the ball better than ever (surprise surprise... i even know how to hit a target now :twisted: :p :twisted: )

anyway thats my ramblings for now

later.

Practice is only good to a certain degree. yeah it certainly helps in the match fitness department but you have to remember that more you practise the more likley habits may creep into your game if you don't concentrate properly. Me, i believe I am in the same category as Luke D used to be in relation to the number of games bowled. I bowl 3 games Mondays, 2 x 3 game leagues Wednesday and ocasionaly bowl 6 practice games on another weeknight. On Saturdays I have been going down and bowling a block of 18 games (24 one week), partly cause of getting game fitness, partly cause I am addicted to bowling and partly because i am bored..... On Saturday nights I usually go down Revolutions (disco bowling) and bowl an average of 4 to 8 games depending on the number of players on the lanes. And then Sundays i have bowled the sports condition tournys at Caboolture (6 tourny's thru the year: 10 games) and the Twin Tour (bout 7 tourny's: 10 games). If I don't have one of those tournaments on I have forcing myself to stay away from the centre or leave my equipment at home.

League averages 186-189
Practice: bout the same sometimes higher sometimes lower depending whether I'm bowling for strike or playing around with my line

Hi all.

First post in here. great web site guys :D

Well i have only been bowling seriously since January this year. And i try to get to my bowling alley, chermside, as often as i can. This is partly because i want to better my self as a bowler and also through boredom, Most nights i have nothing better to do.

I currently bowl six games a week through league, moday and wednesday. Every Sunday i bowl in the Jackpot bowling, won once :D. And then i usually bowl on thursday and friday nights for practise or just fun.

So with in a week i bowl between 10 to 20 games of bowling. I spend alot of money there but its better then sitting at home. And i do have to say i have noticed a big increase in my consistency with bowling at least 5 or six of these games at 230+. But as the guys from chermside now damn i strike alot but can't spare for shit. :evil: this cost me many a 700 series.

Average at the moment 190+

But i am addicted to this game. so i always enjoy the fun yet competitive atmosphere.

The Skull chuckster

Used to bowl on average three to five 3-game leagues a week as a regular player or a substitute years ago with about 10 practice games a week on top of that - back in the days when it was affordable.
I currently bowl two leagues a week - and struggle to afford that - and maybe bowl a practice session of 3-4 games a fortnight.
I find that my favourite time to practice is in league as it actually means something - bowling "nothing" games tends to make me lazy and let errors creep into my game.
I find Instruct-o-mat very, very boring and lose interest quickly.
Current League averages are 207 and 216 for this season (we play either 69 or 72 game seasons in Hobart) and a total average for the year of around 207 for over 350 games.

Just curious on what people do for their mental game preparation and physical training? And what people's thoughts are as to how important that is compared to the practice that you put in on the lanes?

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

I bowl 3 games a week, havent been coached for 4 years, average 180

I bowl 3 leagues a week, each 3 games. Then another 3 or 4 every week just practice.

I don't do much work on my mental game, i just rockup to the alley and bowl, if i bowl well, cool, if i don't go well, such as life, come back next time and kill it!. Mind you i have only bowled in 2 major tornys!

I have raised my averge dramatically since i started bowling 12 months ago Started at 130 and now i am bowling 180 average hopefully during the off season i am hoping to raise that another 20 and get into the 200+ average.

Shaun

with regards to mental preparation and physical training, i find this very important.

for the mental side (before a tournament, or even before league) i tend to listen to loud, heavy music in order to be relaxed and also focused at the same time and it seems to work for me.

as for the physical training, bowling is it for me and this may explain why:
(taken from the fairlanes city website -- www.fairlanes.com.au )

For the Health Buffs

-- The world health organization defines "light sports"; such as cricket, golf and sailing as those burning off 2.5 to 5.0 calories per minute.
-- Research revealed that bowling consumes 5.45 calories per minute.
-- Bowling therefore ranks alongside other moderate sports including swimming, tennis and horse back riding.
-- A bowler will traverse nearly 3 kilometres for every nine games bowled.
-- A bowler will swing a ball that can weigh anywhere from 6 to 16 pounds and make over 180 shots.
-- Tenpin Bowling exercises practically all the muscles and is a game, which can be played all year round by people of all ages.

thats all from me for now

later.

Geez Lukey it does keep you fit - I'm glad I lost 29kgs in 20 months - now I feel like I can bowl more than 6 frames without being tired and wanting to stop :D

Back
Top Bottom