High fives in league ??

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Here's a post on the PBA forum that had me in stitches...........

What up with that? I remember one mixed league I bowled in. I caught one fellow picking his nose and eating it during the second game :shock: . I quit giving and taking the obligatory "high five" hand slaps and daps. What a disgusting habit A lot of "sneezers" were in the league too and those with active post nasal drip. If you didn't extend the "high five" salutes, everyone thought you were conceited. I told them to "f#*@ off" and told them about this dude and his nasty habit. It damn near started a fight. Nowadays, I don't do the high five with just anyone while I bowl, especially during the cold and flu season we're in. I wonder where this stupid habit began? Forget the NBA, we aren't playing basketball here. Obsessive/compulsive and healthy:confused: :D

Get rid of it

All this high five rubbish has to stop. It has got to the point where if you don't want to do it then people get really offended. As far as I'm concerned it has gotten way out of hand to the point of giving five for a near miss. In a team environment it might possibly have some benefit i.e. team bonding ect...but even then the use of it should be limited to clutch strikes or making a double or three bagger when you really needed it.....not just for making a spare. :shock: :shock:

The hardest thing to understand is when you see two people playing matchplay happily slapping each others hands like there is no tomorrow. I thought that the idea of matchplay was to beat your opponent , not make him your best friend. Sure after the game you can be nice , but during the game you should be more likely to punch them in the face than slap their hand and make them feel good. Maybe something like this would make tournaments a bit more interesting , not the actual violence (unless they are left handed) :lol: , but a bit of agro wouldn't be such a bad thing. (save the punching for the carpark later).
:twisted: :evil: :shock:

it seems to be really evident up here in queensland, i remember when i first moved up here, i kept getting greasies off everyone, for not giving five, took me 12 months to get my head into gear and start supporting and helping my opponents mental games.

I have actually thought of extending this coutesy to maybe even asking them, if they would like me to clean their balls everytime they get a double and maybe carry the balls out to the car if they turkey and probably even offer to give them a lift home if they go any further

but everyone does it, so you just go with the flow

there is a difference between being a good sport and basically sucking up to your opponent.

and excessive high fiving is definately classified as sucking in my books

Gees, what happened to this being a game and being fun? Take a step back and enjoy it for cryin' out loud!

High Fives...

:D

I never refuse a HI FIVE - bare in mind I also shake hands when I meet someone, for all I know they have just jacked off in the car-park to a dirty magazine....

enough crassness - My recommendation is this...

ALWAYS take a high-five when offered during league/ practice/ qualifying...

During tournament play - DON'T...

Why - the psyc. affect - Personally, I do even in tournament play, but I have noticed when people dont HI FIVE me back, it tends to distract me....

So now, I never offer, and never expect it. Unless I reallllyyyyy hate the person, I will always reciprocate...

For those of you who want to win more than enjoy the game - sure, dont reply during tournaments...

George (aka Greek GOD) - just out of curiosity, have you ever rejected a HIGH FIVE to take advantage (after all your false stick at the line seems to still work for you!~!)

Browny

hahaha nice one pete, what?? sticking at the foul line and then laughing when your opponent does the same when there really wasn't anything wrong with approach at all?? hahah it's all tactics and only works on certain people.

Actually I don't think too much about high fives, I rarely pass on strikes in matchplay and step ladders, I'm a little too busy concentrating. If I am in a pro am or similar sort of event I will but at the elite level I don't think it is necessary. Your there to win, your opponent is there to win why encourage each other? stick to your own game.

As for league, well try bowling at Caboolture in a 5 man team and giving a high five to 9 other bowlers after every shot??? hahah you'd be there all night. As the 12th man said " It's all fun and games until loses an eye ". There is a time and a place for high fives and it's called " Basketball ". Not bowling!!!

Sounds to me like you people take this game far to seriously, and it is only just a GAME. Its just a courtesy thing even if i dont like the person thats bowling if they put their hand out i high five it. To me when someone doesnt doesnt even acknolege you when your bowling they are stuck up. Ive met a few and if they thought their own shit didnt stink that much theyd be bowling for australia or something like that wouldnt they.

So grow up remember we bowl for fun
Or dont we????????????????????????????????????????????????//

Yes it is just a game, but there is alot more at stake when that game or shot is worth $1000+

Tournaments are usually for money and lots of it and you should respect your opponent by shaking hands or at least acknowledge them before you start bowling but I believe you do not need to congratulate them on a good shot, 12 shots in a row, yes go ahead or a 7-10 split, but it might throw some peoples rythmn if they high five you.

Some people are very intense while competing..... so its best to be left alone. But after the game or squad you have a drink congrautlate eachother, show your opponent some sign of respect once again.

In league its another story, you should show it up, have fun, enjoy it, for not TOO much is on the line. So you high five or something, scream or such.

Have fun in league but choose your own attitude in tournaments

Hey,Sinister and others,if you want to bowl for fun,feel free,that's fine with me. If I want to be serious about it,isn't that O.K.with you?
Hi fives annoy me,because they tend to break my concentration,and I like to concentrate -- forget that,I NEED to concentrate - more as each year passes, but I go along with it out of courtesy when I have to,but hope if I don't pursue it myself then others don't continue to pursue me.
Those who seem obsessed with it,have you ever thought that that is pretty intrusive of you?
You like to do it,you think it's great,so everyone should agree with you,or there's something wrong with THEM?? Or they're stuck up?

I'd like to think that you might give that a bit of thought - just try to read people a bit,and as you would like to do 'your thing',see if you can't accept that it may be O.K.for others to do their's,without you making judgements about their motives.

Re: High Fives...

boybrowny said:
:D I never refuse a HI FIVE - bare in mind I also shake hands when I meet someone, for all I know they have just jacked off in the car-park to a dirty magazine....Browny
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think exactly the same now after bowling in a Monday Morning League a few years ago against this guy who kept telling me incessantly that his hands kept slipping out of his ball because he rubbed oil into his wife's back the previous Tuesday :x :( :evil:
Obviously didn't come down in the last shower I thought, or the previous one, or the previous one before that either...... :x
He stunk like a sewerage treatment plant and had nits :x I just made sure I wasn't around when it was time to high-five.

Generally I don't mind high-fiving people because in league I suppose it is showing a little common courtesy - something that I think lacks these days.
I find I do it without thinking anyway, on more than one occasion I high-fived people that open frames or threw gutter shots.

Also I don't mind people who don't do it in tournaments so long as they are not jumped up, arrogant little turds about it.
So long as they have a drink and a chat with you afterwards that's fine.

Just on the PBA Post from George there, about the guy picking his nose.
I'm just glad that old Athol "The Cup King" from Moonah doesn't bowl League and want high-fives - the amount of times i've seen him "going to the TAB" on the nostrils and "picking a winner" it's a wonder he hasn't dug his way to China by now :shock:

I think its a matter of personal preference ..

I agree wholeheatedly with Craig .. its getting beyond a joke when people expect High Fives for MISSED SHOTS !!

I think the old High Fives should be reserved for special shots - strikes under pressure etc etc not just for any old wishy washy crap. I didnt high five in league last year and i got a few weird looks .. but hey thats me and thats what I want to do. If you want to high five .. feel free, just dont get upset if another person doesnt want to. Its your choice, AND its their choice also. Respect others choices.

Ok so maybee what i have writen has come out the wrong way a bit. Yeah fair enough everyone is entitled to do whatever they want to do and i understand that people are competitive in this world of ours and thats fine. But Jim i was once taught that you should be able to bowl with a grenade going off behind you (so to speak) and not lose concentration. Do you really lose concentration that much by acknolegeing someone????????

Yes,or I would'nt have said so. Sometimes people [including me]can bowl with distractions,sometimes not. That's really not the point. Being critical of anyone who does'nt like something which you like[regardless of what it is] is the point. I just plain don't see how you can logically come to that conclusion.

Up until now,I thought I was the only one who was always right [with the possible,though remote,exception of George.]

Back
Top Bottom