2012 Sydney Youth Cup

elsie

The winners of last weekend’s Sydney Youth Cup reflect the widespread appeal of tenpin bowling in Australia. Both 19 years old, Daniel Webb achieved success at his home Centre, while female champion, Nicolle Williams, travelled thousands of kilometers from her home near Perth to compete with players from Singapore, New Zealand and all around Australia.

Record entries for this year’s Sydney Youth Cup delighted organisers and players alike. Now in its sixth year, the SYC is a TBA ranked tournament for bowlers 21 years and under, organised by the Junior Committee of TBA Sydney and hosted by Campbelltown City Bowl in Sydney’s south west.

Following ten games of qualifying in both squads on Saturday the top 16 male and 12 female bowlers advanced to Sunday’s final, with pinfall carried over. The remainder of the field then had a handicap of 90% of 210 added to their qualifying pinfall to determine winners of the graded consolation prize money following a further eight games on Day 2.

Sam Cooley from Mt Warrigal in NSW led the Men’s division at the start of Day 2, but slipped to third behind local bowler Daniel Webb and Victoria’s Dwayne Vivian after the eight games of Stage 1. Cooley has just returned from Kuala Lumpur, after competing in the 35th Malaysian International Open, during which he threw a perfect 300. In the women’s division Rochelle (‘Rocky’) Mottlee from Queensland’s Gold Coast remained top seed after Stage 1, with a 245 in the second game of the 8-game block edging her just ahead of WA’s Nicolle Williams and Laura Kairn from Victoria.

Before the Matchplay round began, Tournament Manager Leanne Triulcio announced the top six Graded winners:- Mitch Mitchell, Kaitlyn Dodd, Amy Toonen, Shaun Vidler, Kaitlyn Bowen and Brandon Wilshaw, all from New South Wales.

Despite a strong finish by Sam Cooley, Daniel Webb’s lead was unassailable and bonus points from wins in all five games of matchplay saw Webb clinch the title on 4747, followed by Cooley on 4548 and Vivian finishing third on 4451. It was a significant win on local soil for Webb, who is half-way through his degree as a High School teacher, and a member of TBA New South Wales’ training squad and the Campbelltown City Academy of Sport. “I virtually grew up in a bowling centre from a very young age and Dad was my first coach….then Dr Ed Kee and now Eric Jang. “I read their textbooks and studied the diagrams of strokers’ patterns, and that’s how I’ve developed my bowling style,” he explained.

Rochelle Mottlee came out of the blocks strongly with a 208 and win in Game 1 of Matchplay, but lapses in Games 2 and 5 allowed West Australian bowler Nicole Williams to take the honours in the women’s division. Williams, who hails from Baldivis near Rockingham leads the TBA Youth Rankings and will represent Australia at the forthcoming World Youth Championships in Bangkok next month. “I feel technically stronger than last year, and playing more of a mental game,” said Williams who bowls league at Cannington Bowl and also practices regularly with the guidance of her father, and her other coach Ken Thompson. “With their support and extra coaching by (National Coach) Chris Batson and Bob Alexander, I’m quite confident going into the World Youth, and very excited by my first opportunity to represent Australia,” she added.

Complete SYC results are posted on the events page of Tenpin Bowling Australia’s website - Default Page Redirect.

Back
Top Bottom