Female Aussie's doing well Again

Cara finished 3rd overall : story courtesy of http://www.pwba.com

LIL’ BIT COMES UP BIG AT

GREATER TERRE HAUTE OPEN FINALS

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. – It was a special day for the girl nicknamed Lil’ Bit. Brenda Norman claimed her first-ever national title when she defeated Tiffany Stanbrough, Oklahoma City, Okla. 195-148 in the finals of the Greater Terre Haute Open. Norman took home a first-place check worth $10,500.

“I was very nervous,” said Norman. “I didn’t get off to the best start and Tiffany is a tough competitor. I just kept telling myself to make good shots and give myself a chance to win.”

The seventh-year pro, who is a native of Indianapolis, Ind. became the seventh different player to win the event. The former University of Nebraska star won the championship in front of a large contingent of family and friends who made the one-hour drive to see her perform during the live ESPN telecast.

“It was great to be so close to home. Having so many fans cheer you on was a huge boost for me. It was very special to have my family and friends here to share this with me.”

The top seed entering the championship bout, Norman got off to a difficult start by opening in the first two frames while Stanbrough threw back-to-back spares. However, just as Stanbrough looked to gain control of the tilt, Lil’ Bit started to claw back with three straight strikes in frames four thru six. Stanbrough then opened in the fifth and sixth helping contribute to a 31-pin swing by the start of the seventh frame.

“When Tiffany opened two frames in a row I knew I got a break. From that point on I didn’t want to take anything for granted.”

Also seeking her first title, Stanbrough won over the Hoosier crowd in the three-way shootout when she upended PWBA Player of the Year Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, N. Richland Hills, Texas and Kendra Gaines, Sebring, Fla. 235-225-202. In the semi-finals the left-hander defeated the Player of the Year Runner-Up and defending champion Cara Honeychurch, Melbourne, Australia 197-179.

“Every time you bowl in the championships you can gain valuable experience and learn from it,” said Stanbrough. “Today I came up just a little short but I feel good about the way I performed.”

For her efforts Stanbrough cashed for $5,800. Third place Honeychurch won $4,000 while Dorin-Ballard and Gaines took home $3,200 and $2,800 respectively.

The Greater Terre Haute Open is scheduled to re-air on ESPN2 on June 10 at 8 p.m. (eastern) and on ESPN on July 3 at 7 a.m. (eastern). Next up on the PWBA schedule is the Greater Harrisburg Open from June 12-16.

TERRE HAUTE, IN-Championship-round results and their scores, earnings and playoff results in the Professional Women's Bowling Association's $65,000 Greater Terre Haute Open;

1. Brenda Norman, Indianapolis, Ind., 195 -1 game- $10,500

2. Tiffany Stanbrough, Oklahoma City, Okla., 580 -3 games- $5,800

3. Cara Honeychurch, Australia, 179 -1 game- $4,000

4. Carolyn Dorin-Ballard, N. Richland Hills, Texas, 225 -1 game- $3,200

5. Kendra Gaines, Sebring, Fla., 202 -1 game- $2,800

Playoff Results:

Stanbrough def. Dorin-Ballard and Gaines 235-225-202;

Stanbrough def. Honeychurch 197-179;

Championship match: Norman def. Stanbrough 195-148.

Back
Top Bottom