East Coast Challenge Cup - Whats it All About?

Geggy

There has been plenty of back & forth banter in this forum, and references to the competition being a "closed shop" affair.

Maybe information about how you can be a part of this fantastic competition next year may help??

The requirements for eligibility selection in the Tenpin Queensland side are as follows.

1. You are required to be a financial member of Tenpin Queensland Inc for the year in question. This can be through bowling in one of the many TQ leagues or TQ/TBA dual sanctioned leagues. Sports registered players (ie: TBA League bowlers who have no current membership with TQ for example), are also made eligible by the payment of a tournament fee of $20.00 prior to the commencement of the TQ championships. CLOSED SHOP ???? I THINK NOT. Talk to the TQ Tournament committee about this loophole if you’re interested. You do however need to have 30 games up in a league prior to May 31. ( Figure for 2005)

2. Interested parties are required to complete a "First nomination form". This form has all of the details of further requirements regarding fund raising & nomination fees listed clearly. There is not an endless supply of these forms available, so if they are not to be found in your local bowl, ASK TQ! If all else fails PM me & I'll see that you get the required contact information.

3. All bowlers nominating for the ECCC team are required to complete an "ALL EVENTS" entry in the TQ annual championships which is usually bowled over 2 weekends. This is important because the BEST result from EITHER of your first two Singles, Doubles and Teams entries form the initial 9 games of the ECCC roll-off.
You are not required to bowl two or more of each event, but obviously two goes will give you a better chance of a decent series.

4. The main roll-off, 16 games in 2 days of 4 x 2 game blocks held on a single weekend, is generally held in two different centres if the ECCC is to be held interstate, or in one centre if Qld are hosting the event as was the case this year. Fairly logical to hold the majority of the qualifying in the centre where the comp will be played.

After this point the team is named. The Teams are as follows.

Under 21 Open Girls. 7 bowlers
Under 21 Graded Girls 7 bowlers 90% 200 Hcp
Under 21 Open Boys 7 bowlers
Under 21 Graded Boys 7 bowlers 90% 200 Hcp

(In boys & girls U21 Divisions, all bowlers complete their 25 games & the top 7 bowlers on scratch scores form the open team. Handicap is then added to the remainder and the bowlers with the top 7 corrected totals form the graded team.) U21 @ December of previous year. Ie 21 on Jan 1 is ok.

Open Women 7 bowlers
Open Men 7 bowlers
Graded Women 7 bowlers 90% 200 Hcp
Graded Men 7 bowlers 90% 200 Hcp

(In adult divisions, bowlers must nominate their preferred division prior to the roll-off.)

Seniors 7 Bowlers MIXED 90% 200 Hcp (Must be 50 years of age Prior to Jan 1 of Current year.

EVENTS CONTESTED ARE – Singles, Doubles, Triples & 5 Man Teams. (Each 4 Game Blocks.)
Points awarded in each div. (ie open & graded men or U21 open & graded Girls for example.) are added together to form the team total (14 bowlers) except for the seniors.

The East Coast Challenge Cup is contested each year in QLD, NSW, or VIC on a rotational basis. In 2006, the tournament is to be held at Fairfield bowl in Sydney.

Do yourself a favour – Get involved. Even if you don’t make the team, you can still compete in the East Coast Championships which are held during the same week.

TRUST ME, IT’S AWESOME.
(I’ve bowled in various QLD sides on 11 occasions, including QLD’s first 27 years ago.)

Ps. If I’ve mucked any of this up, I’m sorry & will post an amendment if required. If you would like anything explained further, pls let me know.

Hope to see you all at the next roll-off.

GREG KELLY

How many days is this event held over? Also what sort of costs/expenses are involved (apart from the obvious - travel & accomodation)???

the east coast challenge cup is run over 4 days (tuesday to friday) the championships is run from saturday to saturday (8 days) of same week.
thier is also a dinner dance the last saturday night were team trophys are awarded and individual awards as well. normaly the cost is about $285.00.
first nomination form is $80.00 if you decide to put second form in that is $50.00 and then for roll offs $30.00, plus $125.00 fund raising.( fund raising you normaly get options on that of just paying the $125.00 or selling chocolates, numercards ).
if you make team TQI will cover lineage cost for ecc cup (tuesday to friday) and normaly 2 events in champs , also if bowling interstate will put around $200.00 towards accom, this is prebooked by TQ as we all stay in one place . this is only ruff costs and may change but not by much.
hope this helps
thanks fred

Hey,

I bowled in the ECCC this yr in toowoomba and also in 2003 when it was in Blacktown,SYDNEY. It is a great event to get into if you want to improve ur bowling career and skill. You also get to meet a lot of new friends from QLD, NSW and VIC. The best way to get into this great event is ask your centre manager, they should know all details and have forms next yr for the next great ECCC. Next yr it will be held at AMF Fairfield in Sydney, i hope to see a lot more competitors next year and we be hoping to see all that bowled this yr there again.

Have a good think about it as you can be put back a bit in money if u not careful, but it usually works out fine as Fred(Flinstone) pointed out the, those costs are roughly the same every year.

Have fun,

Philby

Hey,
I bowled E.C.C.C this year. And i have 2 say that what everyone keeps telling me was so true. I had heaps of fun and ill be there next year wether i bowl or not ill still be there. So i hope all the new bowlers from all the states had fun and hope to see u all next year at Fairfield Sydney.

Flicky Murphy

I have bowled ECCC for 14 yrs now and it is te best. I have made a huge mount of life time friends and I have also gained hugh amounts of knowledge and experience from a large number of bowlers and being on the lanes and having fun is what the sport is all about. I recoomend ECCC to anyone and everyone who wants to bowl in the best team atmosphere you can get it. It is a great experience.

Kathy

Hey Greg

Thanks for your great post - I now understand ECCC.

Just two things I would comment on -
1. Why aren't Seniors male and female as well as open and graded? (ie 4 teams).
2. If you make a team, do you HAVE to stay in the same accommodation as your team members?

I ask the latter in regard to costs. Often you can get accom with relatives/friends/caravan etc which helps to reduce costs. I have bowled in several Qld teams where you just HAD to stay with the team and at a huge extra cost. Great for "bonding" and team attitude but a cost that prohibits a lot of bowlers trying out.

Could you kindly post a reply?

Cheers and again thanks for a great explanation.

Feral

Hi Feral

In response to your questions...

1) The Seniors division is a new division that only joined the competition of the East Coast Challenge Cup 4 years ago (it has been on trial in each of the states for the past 3 years with this year being the first year as being an official division). The reason for not having the 4 teams is that there was not enough bowlers in the beginning the fill all of the teams. Also, there would not be enough time for all of the divisions to bowl each day! This year the singles for the East Coast Cup started with the Under 21 sides at 10am on the Tuesday and didn't finished until well into the evening with the Adult Scratch division.

2) Yes, the team must stay together when away. This has always been the case.

Hope this helps.

Kyles :D

i didnt realise that this was still an event , is it ?
not bowling for a long time i am sort of lost as to what events are still around
what reqiurements and rolloffs are there for this years if not all ready done and dusted
daniel

yes it is still going
requirements -- bowling in a tqi league and the roll offs are championships are held in may and there is one weekend in july where you bowl 8 games on saturday and 8 games on sunday then the teams announced top 7 in each section in announced shortly after all bowling is done on the sunday.
there should be entries out now at each centre if not contact tqi at Mt Gravatt

This may sound like a dumb question, but how do you know which centres are TQI? We bowl at a few different centres, and have done so since we first came to Brisbane, and we have never been approached by any TQI representatives at any of them to pay membership......are they only at a few centres, or Brisbane wide???

Most centres if not all will have tqi leagues at them... just at the control desk and they should tell you who is the rep for tqi at that centre is. They are all over brisbane so. By the sound of it you bowl in a tba leagues which means that you will probably have to pay another sanction fee to be in tqi and be able to try for eccc.

Folks, if you have another look at the original post you will see that it is NOT a requirement that you bowl a TQI league. You do need to be a "sports registered player", ie TQI or TBA and pay a tournament registration fee at the championships if you are not a TQI member - but you do not have to bowl a league at all!

The nomination forms are out now. They should be available at most centres.

Remember, you need to complete an all events entry in the TQI championships, (Bowled on May 13 & 14, & May 20) to be eligible for the qualifying trials on the 15th & 16th of July.

Greg Kelly

My understanding of the eligibility of ECCC in qld is that you must be a financial member of TQI before the championships, have an established average over 30 games before 31/05/06 and bowl until the end of 2006. If you are wanting to just bowl in the championships the is an extra fee to bowl in them if your not a TQI sanction bowler. If i am wrong correct me.

The championships is the first 9 games of 25 games total which if your are in the top 7 of your elected section ie graded or open then you are in the team.
The rest of the games are bowled in July 8 games on the Sat 8 games on the Sun.

Back
Top Bottom