DO NEW BALLS MAKE A DIFFERENCE

S

Sarah300

Just wondering on peoples views on new balls. Can people get away with using old equipment.

My theory says NO

Just wondering peoples points of views.

Some people say you dont need them.

SAZZ
icon_smile.gif

of course old balls are still in especially when in queensland, north of brisbane can even jump out of the reactive era to be competitive.

for the couple of times i have travelled south, yes i could have done with a new ball, but until i move, my turbo x will always remain close by.

Sarah

New balls always hit harder!! The new reactive and pro active balls we use are like sponsges, the more oil they are filled with the less effective they become. Cleaning your balls regulary helps also.

G

Sarah,

I clean my bowling balls with Isocol - a rubbing alcohol anti-bacterial lotion which seems to work just fine.

Other cleaning agents are just as effective but it's best to speak to someone who can point you in the right direction.
icon_smile.gif
icon_cool.gif

Sarah

I believe only bowling products should be used on bowling equipement. I heard acetone has long term effects on balls and makes them softer. May I recommend asking your lane technician for half a cup of lane cleaner, get a 600ml water bottle and fill the rest up with water. It's more than enough, just apply a little before and after league for best results. hope it helps

G

George,

what do i clean my bowling balls with:-

some people say acetone, but then someone says that ruins the balls whats ur opinion.

Sazz

If you define 'new' as straight out of the box i'd have to say yes, For example if you used a fresh out of the box Blue Boss and then threw a Ti Messenger with 300 or so games on it you would probably find the ball with the fresher suface would give you a better reaction and better hit. Taking this to the extreme would be doing what a lot of the PBA guys do and thats drilling up fresh equipment every block to get the benefit of a fresh ball surface(every 9 games now of course, 6 or 8 in the old days)

Is it a good idea to reguly getting the ball cut and polished often

Buck

The more you cut and resurface your ball the less it will preform. The best thing you can do is clean your gear before and after play. Look at re-surfacing after 120 games or so. If you want to get some finish back into the ball, may I suggest after 50 games or so, running a green / grey scotch bright pad over the surface and then re-polishing. I see your from Townsville, go see Bruce at Currajong, he's knows all and if he has any doubts he knows my number.

G

Id have to agree with george on that one.
in my view new balls always hit harder and ive found that they snap harder down back thus creating more pin action.

Whould this be a reason for nailing flush shots and not carrying a 7 or ten pin?
just curious.
like it says on the instrutions for my messenger 150 game life
well ive put about 150,000 games on that bad boy. Still a good ball but it dont hook as much as it used to, therefore i dont get away with as much
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Any ways stay cool people

I have found that using a degreaser/cleaner works well to help eliminate the build up of excess lane oil. The bowling ball should be cleaned immediately after use (league play or tournaments) so the oil does not have time to soak further into the ball. I personally use a product called "Simple Green", others use "409" and say it works fine too. After prolonged use, you can soak the bowling ball in warm water (about 140 degrees) with the degreaser added, to help draw out more oil - this method helps restore some of the snap the ball used to have.

just a question on polishing your balls (geeze that doesn't sound good hey?!!?!
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
) would u guyz recommened using a ball polisher (like the ones at the bowling allys) or would u guys condem it? in asking this, what i mean by it is 2 things, one will it enhance the balls effect and two will it ware out the ball?? thanx for your time.

From my recollection, (I could be wrong) Paul Trotter just won $3000 in SA Cup not long ago. I;m pretty sure he was using the same equipment I've seen him use for the past couple of years!! If you hit the pocket in the right spot, you'll get strikes with anything!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom