Disgraceful act from Trey Parker and Matt Stone

Cam S

BEEEEEEEEEAVER
source www.smh.com.au
Irwin show 'bad taste'
Email Print Normal font Large font October 27, 2006 - 4:10PM

Advertisement
AdvertisementThe creators of the South Park cartoon series are unrepentant about a new episode that shows Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin attending a party in Hell with a stingray barb protruding from his chest.

Irwin died just eight weeks ago when a stingray barb pierced his heart as he was filming off the north Queensland coast.

The South Park episode, which had been scheduled for broadcast in the US on Wednesday, is expected to upset Irwin fans and his family - wife Terri and children Bindi and Bob.

But the show's creators say it's not the first time their work has created waves.

"We have offended people in the past and probably will again," a South Park spokesman told a London newspaper.

"We know that regular watchers will not be shocked."

In the episode, Satan hosts a fancy dress party attended by Irwin, Princess Diana, Adolf Hitler and other famous dead people.

But Irwin is kicked out by the Devil because he's not in costume.

Britain's media watchdog has labelled the episode distasteful.

"This is such bad taste and the makers of South Park should review their decision to show it," watchdog John Beyer said.

"Steve's family are still grieving.

"To lampoon somebody's death like that is unacceptable and so soon after the event is grossly insensitive."

AAP
Ive gotta say ive been a fan of these blokes and enjoyed their movies like orgasmo and bassketball but to do something as insensitive as this is disgusting. It seems these blokes have no respect for anyone or anything.

Issac Hayes who played the Chef in southpark even quit the show earlier in the year when they bagged his religion on one episode.

I think its just when they have been insensitive before and it didnt affect you and now it does.

Some people have a different sense of humour than others. I watched the episode, it was piss funny.

Oh and the party is not held in Hell, its actually in LA. But the media love to jump to conclusions quickly.

Isaac Hayes quit South Park due to mounting pressure from the Church of Scientology for him to quit. Hayes never had a problem with anything that Stone and Parker did. He was also quoted as saying that they shouldn't be taken seriously and that it was their way of expressing their feelings.

Besides, most of the stuff they do has a point. Scientology is a bull**** religion.

We love South Park and the boys are p*ss funny but really the Steve Irwin thing has overstepped the mark. The guy hasn't even been gone three months and they're already making a mockery of his death.

Terri, Bindi and Bob are still trying to make sense of his death and now they have been plagued by a stupid cartoon. They've summoned up the courage to finally walk out the front door and now they'll be bombarded by media "Terri, what do you think of the South Park episode" etc etc. Leave them be and let them mourn in peace as the embark on the huge feet of having their first Christmas without their husband and Daddy.

Maybe it would've been better accepted in 12 months or so, when he death was not so raw and emotional. Steve was a larrikin and yes he'd probably have a laugh and see the funny side. But don't throw it in the families face so soon.

Just an opinion and venting of frustration!!!

Just my opinion...

Let's take Michael Jackson into consideration here. Comedians like Rodney Rude and Eddie Murphy have been taking the p*ss out of him for years. Some people still have a bit to say about him. He was proved innocent, so why do comedians still pick on him? It is called entertainment.

Not all comedy is tasteful, and not all of it is called for. Jokes went around for a while about Shane Warne (say what u like about his antics), Michael Jackson and Heather Mills (anyone see 'the big questions' last week?). Were these blocked by censors? NO. South Park should be no different.

Comedy is not an art form where 'one-size-fits-all'. Some people will laugh at Michael Jackson jokes but won't laugh at Steve Irwin jokes. It's a personal thing. I take comedy for what it is - a form of entertainment, not a chance to slag off on people who have died/done something wrong.

Again, my opinion only.

ok well i have seen the episode, and murderdoll is right it is a funny episode, and i dont reckon trey parker and matt stone overstepped the mark, if you see the episode the tiny part and i mean tiny probably less the 30 seconds that they have the steve irwin character isnt mocking his death, the hell on earth party is a costume party and have it as iff someone has dressed up as him...
Satan's minion: Satan we have a problem, one of the guests has turned up in a Crocodile Hunter costume, and it's really offending some of the other guests.
Satan: Oh Jesus (Walks across the party to a guest in a Crocodile Hunter outfit.) Erm, ah the whole Crocodile Hunter thing, it's just not cool. He like only died a few weeks ago! You're gonna have to go.
Steve Irwin: But Satan it's me Steve Irwin. I am the Crocodile Hunter!
Satan: Oh, well, then no costume, you gotta leave!
Steve Irwin: (Being dragged away) Come on Satan, I thought we were friends?
Thats is the whole section with him in it, so personally i dont think they overstepped the mark and didnt make a mockery of his death, it was just something small, matt stone and trey parker have gotten away with alot more conterversial stuff then this...
in my opion it isnt as bad as the media are trying to make it....
And if you want to see heres a link to the scene...YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
Just my 2 cents worth

Thats it omg........................:shock: Yea its soon after his death but hay get on with life death ( opps 2000 people just died this second omg no! ) yes its true lots of good/bad people die every second should we all just stop living or just get on with it?

Gary..............................................:rolleyes:

Some people gets offended by these things and some people see it as funny, it is really up to them. The producers are just "doing their job", i personally didn't find it very funny because i had met Steve in person. I think as a compromise, the least the producers could do would be to write to the Irwin family.
R

I think its just when they have been insensitive before and it didnt affect you and now it does.

Exactly. Its funny until they do something that upsets you. When they laid it on scientology, nobody cared that the scientologists were up in arms, and why should they. Same when they poked fun at christianity and muslims. Chef was a crazy scientologist, he didnt have a problem with the show when it was making fun of other religions, funny that !

I havnt seen the episode but im sure ill laugh like always. It is a bad taste show that doenst really look for aproval from the mainstream media, so im sure they have achieved their mission goals.

I dont get it when the country starts calling for episodes like this to be censored, isnt that the type of society we've worked for so long to get away from?

cheers
Brad

Very true.

Follow the link near the top of the thread and u can see the 40-odd seconds that refer to Steve Irwin. IMO, no different to the aforementioned religions - only that it was someone a little closer to us.

Back
Top Bottom