Closure of Mt Louisa Lanes (Currajong Superbowl) today

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
A sad day in Australian bowling history, Mt Louisa closing its doors today for the final time. To Judy and her staff, thank you for the fond memories, Currajong was such a huge part of my bowling life, I cant imagine life without it.

I'd like to encourage people to write there own personal memories of Mt Louisa lanes (aka Currajong Superbowl) to post them here. I've got a few I'd love to share

* My first bowling coach, Tony Toogood, a gentle giant who loved the game more than anyone I know. Always with a smile on his face, nothing but positive words of encouragement inspired me to be the best bowler I could be. I still have etched in my memory his 'turd' coloured Manhatten Urethane being hooked off the left gutter with his unconventional backup cranker style. RIP Tony, you were a generous and gracious man.

* Bowling in my first junior league at Currajong with a few friends on a Saturday morning, Leroy Simpson, Sean Trelour and ?? (someone else), we were called the Eagles. My mum purchased us cream coloured polos with a dark brown collar, my mum then 'hobbytexed' an Eagle on the back. With chocolate brown trousers we thought we were the best 7yr olds around. Every Saturday for 6yrs before we moved into the 'Teenagers' league featuring the NQ stars like Stephen Hunt, Matthew Savage, Troy Timmins, Fiona Bredsall, Peter Hunt, Kenny Bebb, Jason Moxham, Ian Dietric the list goes on.

During this league in the next few years, I purchased my first ever Urethane ball. My Brunswich Edge looked like a tomato and for the first time ever, I went Fingertip and hooked the ball a good 2 boards (not much has changed). I then got to represent Townsville and play along NQ legends like Joseph, Angelo and Sam Nucifora, friends I still have today. I couldnt have asked for a better and more stable bowling environment for my upbringing.

* Bert Harris - I'd like to thank him for the hours he put up with me hanging around the pro shop and watching him drill balls. I'd listen with baited breath on his tales of bowling in the big smoke against Australia's best, I never thought one day I'd get there. I may have been a pest and borderline stalker but I hung off his every word knowing one day I'd get to use the big drill press in the bowl. Whilst everyone thought he was a grumpy weirdo I got nothing bad to say about the guy, he helped and inspired me.

* Bruce Haskin aka 'Brolga" the lanky 6" tall employee who seemed to work at Currajong forever. He drilled balls, managed the bowl and was one of Townsville's greats back in the day (especially at Punari Street). I've know Bruce for over 25yrs and is a great friend. Not so much involved in bowling these days, he can always be bribed to come in and drill balls in exchange for a bottle of Kahlua :) Bruce can still talk you ears off, I wouldnt change it for the world. Enjoy your golf now Brucey, you'll never have to drill a ball again!

* Judy and Ken Hunt - First introduced as the 'legends mum and dad' (Stephen was the legend not Peter), over the years Judy and Ken always had a passion for the sport. Ken focusing on coaching, my 2nd real coach I appreciated any words of encouragement he put forward. Judy, my surrogate mother, I have always felt close too, never having anything bad to say about anyone I learnt a lot about how to conduct yourself amongst others at the bowl.

Judy has put in blood, sweat, tears and heaps of money into the bowl in recent years. Something all bowlers in Townsville appreciate with a passion. With a lot of bowlers migrating to Kirwan there will be a significant number who will just retire from bowling full stop. Most league bowlers attended Currajong not so much because they wanted to be better bowlers but because of the social interaction which made Mt Louisa lanes the No.1 league house in Townsville.

Significant moments for me at mt Louisa lanes:

* Winning the North Queensland masters at Currajong
* Bowling a perfect game on lanes 13&14
* My father bowling his only perfect game with a dull as hell Track Superfreak
* Winning the Suncity open twice, the last just a few months ago, I am very proud and honoured to have won the last ever at Mt Louisa.
* Going fingertip when I was 13
* Purchasing my first ever Urethane ball in 1987

People from Currajong/Mt Louisa I'll never forget (for good, no so good and awkward reasons)

Adrain Mann, Kenny Bebb, Terry Burgess, Robby Merchant, Tony Toodgood, Justin Wellington, Ronald Roderick, Peter Hunt, Veronica Pitt, Stacey Millard, Fiona Bredsall, Troy Timmins, Matthew Savage, Geoff Off (bloody Victorian), Stephen Hunt, Steve Brunell, Gary Bailey, Gary Norman, Wally Walquist, Harvey Watkins, Paul Hatfield, Daniel Ponti, Shane Roseburg, Bob Brunell, Ricky Brunell, Sylvia Webb, Peter Draper, Gordon Neilson, Marg Condon, Kerrie Merritt (now Bailey), Alice Bailey, Bob Walker :eek:, Leroy Simpson, Tony Toogood

My entire family has bowled in that centre for just on 30yrs now, such a significant part of all our lifes, thank you for the memories.

is the bowl/business up for sale...or has all hope been lost?
Anyone who has information as to why this bowling centre has shuttered the doors, please let us know here, so a lesson can be learned by others who may find themselves struggling to stay open.

Your post was great George, and I can still remember you as an awkward little left hander that had less revs than me (which was quite an achievement :D )

I have been bowling at Mount Louisa Lanes (Currajong Super Bowl) since it first opened in 198? Back then I was just a pesky kid who wanted to know how everything worked, and how I could be as good as some of the legends that Townsville had produced over the years, people like John Cowan, Robert Rigby, John “Scotchy” O’Neill, Terry Burgess, Rick Merchant and Rob Merchant.

I have so many fond memories of this place that I could write a book, on personal achievements, people I have met, friends I have made and characters that have come and gone. I mean all the ladies will remember Tex Skinner and his one eyed Trouser Python that could often be seen peeking out at any given time :eek:

Some of my fondest memories of the bowl that I have are;

* Meeting my future wife at New years Eve party when I was the tender age of 17. My Mum was pretty worried as Nicole was an older woman (Cougar in today’s terminology) and she thought that I might be led astray. Well I am happy to report that Nicole did in fact lead me astray, and we have been having a blast together for the last 22 years.

* This one night at the bowl Nicole and I......... better not tell this one kids might be reading :D

* Bowling the first 300 in Townsville (Lane 17 & 18 – July 1996) – It then took me another 8 years to bowl my second one.

* Qualifying for my very first Australian Adult Masters in 1990

* Winning the very first Sun City Open in 1996 (Sparing the 4,7,10 and beating Geoff Ott in the final). I was lucky enough to win it twice more in 2001 and 2007.

* The Sun City Open. This has always been such a great tournament, the social aspect is awesome especially the Friday night Calcutta. But over the years the tournament has had some of the games greats take part including; Ian Bradford, Frank Ryan, George Frilingos, Brandon Qualischefski, Carl Bottomley, Ann Maree Putney and Kate Wilton.

* Bowling my first 600 and 700 series (3 game) and 900 and 1000 series (4 game)

* The "Malakas" team and their undefeated run in Sun City League (Undefeated!!!)

* Tony “2T’s” Toogood, Bruce “Brolga” Haskins and Bert “Grumpy” Harris. These were guys that worked at the bowl over the years and gave me some frightful earbashing, as I was somewhat of a challenging child. However they were always willing to offer their services when it came to helping me develop as a bowler offering their wide ranging expertise and knowledge.

* Steve “Shaky” Baverstock (RIP), Dave “Skippy” Reynolds, Bob “Milat” Brunell, Bryan Norman, and Rod Hurst were just some of the great technicians that we had over the years. Rod was the best man at my wedding and is still today an awesome guy.

* I would love to mention all of the great people I have met over the years, but there just wouldn't be enough room.

* Finally to my Mum and Dad who have put their hearts, souls and wallets into the bowl for the last 5 years, and Mum in various capacities for 30 years before that. I know that things didn’t work out as you had hoped, but you gave it 110%, and if it wasn’t for you guys the bowl may have closed a lot sooner. You should be proud of everything that you achieved and should walk away with your heads held high. The fact that the bowl was still a great place to go for a chat and a bit of fun, and will be sorely missed by so many people speaks volumes for what you achieved.

I guess the most appropriate way to close this amazing chapter of my (and many other people’s) lives is to quote the final episode of MASH and say;

“Goodbye, Farewell and Amen”

Two other really fond memories are;

* Watching Denis Frilingos bowl his first 300 on Lanes 9 & 10. Who could ever forget the look of unabashed joy on his face as the last shot carried all 10 pins, and the way he then got down and kissed the approach. Denis is an absolute gentleman, and I cannot think of anyone more deserving of such a great game.

* Winning Coca Cola Doubles 8 times with two of my best mates Gary Bailey and Terry Burgess (4 times each).

I also obtained my 50,75,100,125,150,175,200,225 pin at Currajong. Use to wear them weekly to league along with my 30 and 50 over average patch I got from ATBC.

Thanks for the reminder about Tex Steve, I choked on my martini laughing so hard.

It was a backup centre for the '92 Junior Nats in Townsville (the main centre was Kirwan with the squash courts out the back).
Really nice little place too that one, had a real homeliness to it that I liked.

I remember bowling there in the Nationals, might have a been a doubles or a teams or something and the girls on our pair freaked out something huge doing the "OMG! OMG! OMG! What is that?" as this very large frog was sitting there on the lane just out before the arrows.
So I took my bowling shoes off, put my street shoes on, grabbed my bowling towel and walked down the capping and managed to wrap ol' Freddo up in my towel and take him to the front door and let him go so he could go about his business elsewhere.
It was a whole new experience with the exception of squashing a huntsman spider shooting a 10-pin up in Burnie or Devonport once.
The other memory I have was shooting a 289 in the place in Australian Masters qualifying, the only ball I put in the pocket all game was the one that didn't carry (left a 4-pin).

Lovely little centre though and sad to see it gone, and regrettably I don't think it's going to be the last of the good centres we see shut its doors in the not too distant future either. :(

Wow - reading the two great post from George and Steve - bring back so many memories - I started my junior bowling in the Burdekin so did a lot of travelling to bowl in Townsville and 90% of the time was at Currajong - the names mentioned are truly legends of the game and the region.

You could always guarantee a warm welcome from Mrs Hunt and the staff and all tournaments that I have attended there have always been so very well run and welcoming.

To Mr & Mrs Hunt thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the sport.

Leanne Nastasi (Carr)

To Judy & Ken Hunt, we would like to thank you for all your help, with many fond memories at the family centre of Mt.Louisa Lanes for the last 11 years while my children Cameron & Missy were bowling.

One of the memories I have of Mt.Louisa Lanes was when my daughter Missy who was about 10years old in 2001, when her coach had moved away and we struggled to find someone that would coach her. It was in a Mt.Lousia junior tournament, that Judy Hunt (The Technical Coach) & Cynthia Merritt (The Mental Coach) offered to coach her. From that day onwards Missy as everyone knows her has never looked back. ;)

Judy, Ken and Cythina have given up their time helping many juniors over the years and onbehalf of the juniors we thank you dearly. This family centre will be sadly missed by all bowlers.

Farewell.

From Gavin,Carolyn, Cameron & Mariss Schulze:theCabin:

To Judy and Ken and Cynthia and all the wonderful staff that I have had the pleasure of knowing for many years.
Apart from leaving the "10 pin" often at Currajong/Mt. Louisa (Just can't get used to saying that), it has always been an absolute delight to keep coming back to this wonderful place. The cheery disposition of everyone there and their enthusiasm reflects what a truly wonderful place Currajong (I have to keep calling it Currajong) is and their combined love of tenpin bowling.
Ken - Thank you for all the cold beer and putting up with all our racket in years gone by.
Judy - Thank you for all the kind words. You always seem to know just what to say.
I will miss Currajong/Mt. Louisa but I will miss seeing you so much more. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication.
Maddy Hill

I would just like to thank everyone for their kind words on the closing of our Bowl. It has always been a pleasure being involved in the industry, watching juniors blossom , whether to go on and become elite bowlers or simply just enjoying our great sport.I have seen some of them go on to have little juniors of their own,who are now bowling.
Also my ladies in the day leagues,they have become wonderful friends over the years,some who were bowling when I first started working at Currajong Bowl in Punari St.
To all my bowlers,league or social it has been a wonderful journey,and I thank one and all for being a part of it.
My hope is that someone will buy the Bowl and reopen it so that there will be many more good times for you all.
So in closing thanks for the memories,and good luck to all.
Judy Hunt

Back
Top Bottom