Chris Batson's heading overseas again

Shoey

Shoey
below is a link to Chris Batson's website. Bats comments are a MUST READ for all bowlers and i believe a sad endictment on bowling today in Australia.

what can we do to keep Chris and others with the skill, knowledge and expertise here in Australia to improve bowling in this country not other countries around the world?

link is www.batsbowling.com.au

cheers
Shoey

Chris and I are in total agreement. His remarks are 100% correct.

One of the reasons why I am running for the TBA Chair, is to assist the bowlers in taking back control of their 'sport.' We need to band together and get this done.

look everyone who is involved in the sport of bowling wants the sport to gain more exposure and promotion of the sport but when the biggest bowling company in Australia (AMF) truly dont give 2 hoots about bowling as a sport then the sport will never go anywhere...there are some centres where not even the managers know anything about bowling...i remember when i was 3 and 4 and watching Rushcutters bowling alley completely full for a tournament...thats 52 lanes guys...the manager at the time is now the AMF National League manager...but apart from him there is noone that works on an upper management level in amf who knows nor cares about anythin else apart from bringing in socials...until ppl face this reality nothing will ever change

my 2c

Yes I agree, the game is messed up, other Sports would give heaps to have what we had set up for years, Local association Tournaments, State Championships and National Championships. All were well patronised but I think the game has got too costly, AMF started the trend and the smaller Centres followed, I believe they have costed themselves out of the Game.

I was only talking to a former Bowler yesterday( now lawn bowls) took his Son to Bennetts Green, found it was closed, so went to Superstrike Warners Bay, said it cost him over $30 to Bowl 2 games each, he thought it was a little expensive, I can't see him hurrying back for another game.

willey.

i posted this to bring to the attention that one of the greats of our game is basically being forced to go overseas to work in the industry because the system here fails him and others like him (among other things).
yet with 136 views and only 3 posts, the concern in a little underwhelming. is it that the other 133 people who had a look just couldn't be bothered getting involved or are they happy with the way things are in bowling in Australia at the moment.
how many of our greats and current HP coaches have to go overseas to work before we sit up and take notice?
do we want to reach a point where there are no trainers to mentor our Level 1 and level 2 coaches? where there are no HP coaches left to help any or all of us attain the next level?
sounds melodramatic, yes, but with the downward spiral our sport is currently on all of the above is possible.
Shoey

Part of amf problem is the fact that the owners only care about money seeing it is a huge bank.

I agree with the fact that most amf staff dont know about bowling, but i remember when i was younger walking into blacktown on a saturday night to bowl and we were half way thru the game when staff came down and asked if we wanted to join a league, now adays they dont.

as for coaching, there is no real jr leagues and i have not seen coaching clincs for a bit, not even drilling clincis for up and coming pro shop people.

as for coaching, there is no real jr leagues and i have not seen coaching clincs for a bit.

There are some coaching clinics going around, you just have to find them. For example Lanemasters is sending a gold level coach over to Australia some time next year to do coachin with anyone who is interested. As for the newspaper articles, In Grafton, we do have the occasional write up on the backpage (a few of Ashley Clark, my brother and I and results from our local championships), but that is due to the fact we are happy to just to have someone attempt at a state level thing, let alone achieve it;)

But i do agree with what Chris has said. Australia wide, promotion has been crap for bowling. The only time i have seen a bowler in a national newspaper was last week when they did an interview with Belmo, and he only made it next to the joke spot in the comic section. Bowlers need to be given more of a chance to prove themselves and with the glass ceiling over head, that's practically impossible.

Coaching has been mentioned on this thread, i have just posted in a separate thread information i have received about a super school course in Sydney in February 2008 for everyone's information.

as to advertising, everytime we in Tamworth go away we contact local newspapers and TV to arrange our own promotion of results. not that we want to brag its just we'd like to get bowling out there in the public eye more. the more noticed it is the better it is for the sport

Shoey

look everyone who is involved in the sport of bowling wants the sport to gain more exposure and promotion of the sport but when the biggest bowling company in Australia (AMF) truly dont give 2 hoots about bowling as a sport then the sport will never go anywhere...there are some centres where not even the managers know anything about bowling...i remember when i was 3 and 4 and watching Rushcutters bowling alley completely full for a tournament...thats 52 lanes guys...the manager at the time is now the AMF National League manager...but apart from him there is noone that works on an upper management level in amf who knows nor cares about anythin else apart from bringing in socials...until ppl face this reality nothing will ever change
my 2c

This is Very Mis Informed

This is Very Mis Informed

greg u know that when i made those comments im not talking about facilities...u and i both spoke in length when strathfield was being opened and that i have the utmost respect for what u and dave wilson are doing...but as u and i both know there are other upper level management outside of facilities that are more interested in socials than league and tournament and its not the staff at the centre levels fault but it all comes down to training...when it comes to punches theres only one way to keep this sport goin...

support the independant centres...they support bowling and so should we

Lanemasters is sending a gold level coach over to Australia some time next year to do coachin with anyone who is interested.QUOTE]
Pffffft... first I heard of it, and I just bought a Lanemasters ball.
That is NOT with anyone who is interested. It should say anyone who is in the know/loop whatever, and has been told, "gee do this", may be attending the clinic.
WTF is a Gold level coach anyway? That's rhetorical, I have a fair idea.
Way off topic here, but damn, a Legend of the game in this country is gone AGAIN. Meanwhile we're expected to pay lotsa moolah for someone we never heard of.......

Sorry I'm over it, and O.K. now. Remembering why I lost interest in this game years ago.

Sorry I'm over it, and O.K. now. Remembering why I lost interest in this game years ago.

So if you lost intrest in the game years ago, why are you complaining about people who are hear to help those INTERSETED??? And for the record, it's not an inner loop thing that's causing people not to know about it, it's what Chris has said all along, the lack of promotion.

I'm here complaining because I realized that I liked the game, and have returned to it after a long absence.

Whom am I complaining about? Fill me in please, I really need to know.

Nebster, you miss the point - mostly because I didn't elaborate - I'm with you... I'm a hack here who has no idea about what goes on because the promotion of this sport outside of TotalBowling is next to none.

I'm here complaining because I realized that I liked the game, and have returned to it after a long absence.
Whom am I complaining about? Fill me in please, I really need to know.
Nebster, you miss the point - mostly because I didn't elaborate - I'm with you... I'm a hack here who has no idea about what goes on because the promotion of this sport outside of TotalBowling is next to none.

if u look more u find more sitting on yah pc doing sh*% all will help no one if u are realy that interested u will find the info. if anny one wants to help the sport get up and go do it =p sobbing and mopeing is not gona help anny thing. i know thair is hardley anny promotion in the sport but it is thair just hard to find its getting better but its slow getting every where but meh we will all see.

potter

Good idea Potter, we should all get off our behinds and do something, at least something will get done.
i see 2 problems with this, firstly it will disorganised chaos with thousands of people going in all different directions and doing all different things.
secondly this is what we have a board for, to put plans into motion. even though we do not elect them (bad idea as well all members should have a right to vote on board representatives for each state) these non elected reps should be taking notice of ideas posted or put to them by bowlers discussing and if warranted put the wheels in motion to implement.
they should also be ensuring that our top line coaching personnel remain here for us to utilise to build our own bowling strength not another country's and be making these people far more accessible to bowlers by hosting more and more clinics across the entire country.
shoey

Back
Top Bottom