Canberra Seniors Cup 2013

Hi Hollywood. I have to say I am very disappointed with the decision to stay with the London pattern. Following the AO and the debate over what patterns are appropriate for our tournaments, I was led to believe the London pattern would not be used at Tuggeranong. Based on this, I decided to stay in the tournament and have bought flights and I know others from SA have also confirmed their travel arrangements. I would have withdrawn had I known what the plans are.

On your proposal for the tournament, I agree with Robyn - reducing the tournament to 14 games is only making a bad situation worse (especially for those that are travelling to attend). Further, increasing the purse is, as Robyn said, benefitting a few. I think the best option is to bowl 10 games on the Saturday and 6 games on the Sunday.

That will make it a little difficult for the "B" squad bowlers but please don't switch the times of the squads as our timing is already tight and I/we would definitely have to withdraw if "B" was moved to the Sunday afternoon.

The circuit this year has turned into a bit of a circus. I don't know who to hold responsible but I think the TBA have had a big influence on the Seniors programs to the detriment of the first three tournaments of the year. I hope we have learnt from this experience and stick to what we know works in 2014.

Again, it is disappointing the organising committee of this tournament have decided to stay with the London pattern. Is there any link between the decision to stay with the London pattern and why Warren, Darrell and Frank have withdrawn?

Cheers

Hi Glen,

Thank you for your feedback. Officially no-one ever said that the pattern was changing so I don't know why you would have thought that. After there were obvious questions asked down in Melb after Day 1 there was a meeting down there which I only found out about late on Sunday and was waiting for the official outcome of said meeting when bowlers returned of which it was then explained to me that it didn't matter which pattern was used BUT it still had to be a WTBA Pattern of our choice. Given that I had already looked at the 12 that I was under the impression we had to pick from ( the Olympic City named patterns ) I chose London. I then searched through all 27 that were listed, some old patterns as well still WTBA, London was still the best shaped pattern to suit Tuggeranong lanes. To be quiet honest it doesn't matter which pattern you choose they are all going to be hard because there is no surface left on any lane outside 10 board and I would say that would be the case on a lot of centres around Oz that are 10 plus years old and haven't been upgraded. Tuggers has just gone 15 yrs last Nov. At this stage after bowling some 12 games on it over the last couple of weeks and experimenting I'm still happy to be averaging in the 190's. It will just be a slower shot for most.

There was never been any mention by me of moving B squad to Sunday afternoon. The normal pattern of play will continue.

Unfortunately the first 3 tournamnents have been the guinea pigs for this selection criteria and that is something we all have to deal with frustrating as it is. I too will be looking forward to the rest of the year and 2014.

It is extremely unfortunate if people withdraw and It would be sad if that continued. I hope that doesn't happen. Everyone has to bowl on the same condition, unfortunately they have obviously been extremely tough patterns. But I am letting you now that this is nothing like what you played on in Melb given the scores and for anyone out there to say that it is going to be unplayable has nothing to base their comment on as they haven't as yet bowled on it.

Again thank you for your feedback Glen and I still hope to see everyone here in Canberra.

Cheers,
Hollywood.

Hi David,

It is tough, nothing worse than sitting around for 20 minutes waiting for the rest squad to finish then trying to start again partially siezed up.

If you opt for the 10 games & 6 games Sat & Sun. Which is what they did at Caboolture. A squad bowled 6 games then re-oil & bowled last 4 games. Then re-oil & B sqaud bowled 6 games then re-oil then bowled last 4 games. With 3 re-oils during the day on Saturday I think we finished around 10.00pm for memory (may have been even later) Then B squad has to back up again 1st up Sunday.

If you dont have a re-oil mid squad, bowling 10 games with 5-6 bowlers per pair your bowling equivalent of 25-30 games. Dont know how pattern will hold up over that many games between oils.

Like you said its a bit of a nightmare. Wish you luck.

Robert

Hi David,

It is tough, nothing worse than sitting around for 20 minutes waiting for the rest squad to finish then trying to start again partially siezed up.

If you opt for the 10 games & 6 games Sat & Sun. Which is what they did at Caboolture. A squad bowled 6 games then re-oil & bowled last 4 games. Then re-oil & B sqaud bowled 6 games then re-oil then bowled last 4 games. With 3 re-oils during the day on Saturday I think we finished around 10.00pm for memory (may have been even later) Then B squad has to back up again 1st up Sunday.

If you dont have a re-oil mid squad, bowling 10 games with 5-6 bowlers per pair your bowling equivalent of 25-30 games. Dont know how pattern will hold up over that many games between oils.

Like you said its a bit of a nightmare. Wish you luck.

Robert

Hi Rob, Sorry I thought you meant no re-oil between squads !! ( Senior moment ). At this stage they need the bowl back from 8pm onwards so oiling during the ten game first day would not be a viable option
unfortunately, and yes with that scenario B squad is at a distinct disadvantage.

Cheers,

Hollywood.

Hi Rob, Sorry I thought you meant no re-oil between squads !! ( Senior moment ). At this stage they need the bowl back from 8pm onwards so oiling during the ten game first day would not be a viable option
unfortunately, and yes with that scenario B squad is at a distinct disadvantage.

Cheers,

Hollywood.

does make it extremely difficult then.

Hi my 10 cents worth... I entered this tournament with the accredited format of 16games, 8 each day.
There will always be bowlers withdrawing at the last minute, I myself had to pull out of Melbourne !
It is a shame that you have lost a pair of lanes but still think the original advertised format will work.
Cheers

Hi David

Caboolture actually bowled Saturday Squad A then B and again on Sunday Squad A then B.

The original plan was for the Saturday Squads to bowl 12 games which would leave B squad finishing at 12 am which is why they opted to not rotate the squad and eventually reduced the Saturday games to 10.

The mid squad re-oil did not make much of a difference to the lanes but did make a difference to what time we finished.

Maybe you need to ask if some bowlers would be prepared to bowl a C Squad on Friday and Saturday Nights which could then be used to reduce the amount of bowlers in the A & B squads and get them finished earlier. I for one would be happy to volunteer for the C Squad.

Maybe this would be a good opportunity to try a 3 squad format, with numbers growing, something has got to give.

Regards Susanne

To all bowlers,
Just to let you all know that I have nothing to do with the running of the CSC this year.
Firstly I would like to thank you the bowlers for supporting me in the past 10 years that the CSC has been running
To all my sponsors that supported the CSC from the start and the ones that have stuck by me in the last few years.They all know who they are,too many to mention individually but I sincerely thank you. Without you there would not have been a CSC.
For the first time some of the ATBSO of ACT committee decided to take over the running of the CSC and I was pushed aside.
So once again to all sponsors and bowlers thank you for making the CSC the great tournament it has been.
Cheers
Ian Swan (Swanny)

Hi Ian,

Everyone on the committee past & present and all the bowlers know how much hard work you have put in over the years with the sponsors and it has always been very appreciative, having someone with the rapport
that you have with the seniors over the years is an important and very integral part of a tournament like this one and on my behalf I thank you wholeheartedly for all that tireless work.

The email dated 14 Feb from you direct to the President of the ATBSO of ACT explained exactly why you were not taking part in the running of the raffle and that is all that needs to be said.
As a true friend I find it hard to comprehend why you say you were pushed aside so please don't blame others and make them look like the bad ones, we are all part of one big team I thought.

Kind Regards,
Hollywood.

Hi Bowlers,

I would like to let everyone know of some events that have occurred recently and hence would like some important feedback from bowlers in the CSC. in order to help this run as smoothly as we possibly can.

We will only have 22 lanes in which to bowl on, 23 & 24 are definitely out of action this change has recently been approved by Cara.

So as we currently have 48 & 60 for A & B squads respectively we are going to open A squad to 50.in order to
If we leave 22 lanes in play we will have 5 pairs in A squad & 6 pairs in B squad waiting approx 20 mins for the others with 5 & 6 bowlers on to finish each block which I don't believe is at all smart for us oldies getting cold.

So the thought is we use 20 lanes so if our squads remain full we will have even numbers on every pair, 5 in A squad & 6 in B squad. And we will use 1 & 2 as breakdown lanes.
This means within reason everyone finishes each block basically at the same time give or take a frame or two.

This will mean a longer day on the Saturday unfortunately but bearable I believe. But Sunday is a different matter for those flying home in A squad if there are any?

Your thoughts please on the following, we will be happy with the majority and run with what best suits the bowlers.

I think the timing issue is more relevant to those in A squad for Sunday, but to all regarding the games and costs.

1. Would you like to cut the games on the Sunday to 6 as you did in Caboolture and have the two game lineage cost go into the prize fund? OR have a return of $12.40 each messy but doable.
We would envisage a finish time on Saturday of around 6- 6.30pm for B squad. Sunday still starting at 7.30am B Squad finishing around 11.15-11.30 - reoil - and A squad finishing around 3-3.30pm.

This has a two fold win it gets us finished at a normal time for flights and long drives home and also more money into the prize fund if you choose that option.

I would really appreciate your feedback by next Friday at the latest so we can start planning.

The Pattern will remain as London, as it is the best suited and shaped pattern of the WTBA patterns for Tuggeranong, so please be assured it is playing well and is down every weekend before the Cup. More of us will be bowling on it again tomorrow afternoon after they oil.
I have attached the London pattern beside the Los Angeles so you can see the difference between the two for your own peace of mind. It will play nothing like what you experienced on the weekend.

I have also the latest squad listing for everyone and we now have 1 spot available in A squad.

Look forward to your thoughts, and thank you for your time on this & look forward to seeing you all here on the 23rd.

Kind Regards,
Hollywood.

In order to expedite the tournament we will be doing a hat draw by members of the committee on the Thursday or Friday so it can be loaded into the system the night before. Otherwise it would take forever on the day.
Hi David, Barb Richmond, I have just changed my flight, so I would appreciate a spot in A squad please, also would prefer to stay at 16 games please. prefer 8 :& 8 NOT 10 & 6 Could you please confirm me into A squad [email protected] Thanks Barb Richmond

Hi Frosty,

You finally have your wish Barb Richmond has requested into A squad . You now have a start into B squad.

Regards,
Hollywood.

Hi David,
I would be happy to shift into "A" squad to lessen the numbers in "B" squad if it would help. I would also like all 22 lanes used and 10 games Saturday 6 games on Sunday no re-oil Saturday.
I have a good plastic ball.
Kevin B.

Hi David
Paul Terry here...I have been looking at the posts, it is plain to see the frustrations at the last two tournies and again them coming out here.
TBA said they couldnt facilitate roll offs for the seniors world bowling teams and thus our great tour has been fiddled with to enable this to happen, any association in Australia can organise roll offs within a week...not hard, even on a national basis, and we are volunteers, I am sure that TBA could have organised something within a week, anyone else can. But we have been stuck with this and have to cope the best we can.
Those who withdraw simply due to the pattern not suiting them is a little short sighted....none of these pattern suit me but I still have decided to support the seniors tour as I always do as I feel that is more important. We have the most successful tour ever and growing.
In Perth this year we will still be able to facilitate the 18 games in an 18 lane centre, as we did last year AND we still managed to keep it within the timeframe with 4 and 5 to a pair...can't see the problem here...stick with your 16 games let people adjust their times in and out...us from Perth have to and we have to fly the furthest with restricted times...so suck it up guys..lol
Let us not make problems or issues for ourselves, the organisers have stuff to deal with as it is.
Let us not forget that even though caboolture dropped two games to facilitate for times, the Sydney Cup did too a little while ago so it is not a new thing, I would hope you just let it go at 16 games or increase it to 18 games (lol) as travelling 6000 km makes it more worthwhile.
Those who gain an advantage bowling on short oil need to have the chance to regain some ground by bowling on a longer pattern, so changing to something that suits seems to be putting some behind the eight ball even more.
Its time for cool heads and to put our priorities in the right area..support the seniors tour..its all we have as we are classed as second tier bowling citizens anyway so it is up to us to look after ourseleves, lets go out there and bowl and not withdraw for reasons not important...I love bowling with all you guys and it is something I thouroughly look forward to....thankyou for supporting the WA Seniors Cup as we will always try our best to support yours.
Cheers...time for dinner and a scotch

Hi Paul Terry,

Yes the reason I pulled out was the pattern did not suit me and I think the only one that has said that in all the post, it is very easy to label every one that pulls out I could have said I had to work, most people that know me if I have some thing to say it is said.I busted my guts last week to finish 7th on a tough pattern & I am still feeling the pain in my legs to say I am short sighted is wrong,to spend 16 hours in a car up & back,to use 2 days leave spend $500 all up is not smart if you know you cant cash.I have given support to the Seniors since I have been back bowling after 13 years off.As I said TBA has a lot to answer for,best of luck to you all in Canberra.

Darrell Holt.
No Ditch No Daz.

As paul Terry Said.....
TBA said they couldnt facilitate roll offs for the seniors world bowling teams and thus our great tour has been fiddled with to enable this to happen, any association in Australia can organise roll offs within a week...not hard, even on a national basis, and we are volunteers, I am sure that TBA could have organised something within a week, anyone else can.

Yes I find that hard to believe too...................I thought TBA could have done better with this................

Bit of a joke................Next thing you know they will be trying to run the ATBSO Nationals..............better still take over ATBSO..................It will be a sad day if that ever happens, when Seniors have built something up to be something good...........................They then probably want to run everything out of Sydney..................

I think we should leave things as they are at 16 games. 10 on saturday and 6 on Sunday.I don" t understand why the 2 lanes
broken down can"t be repaired between now and the 23rd? Also why take another 2 lanes out of play, just in case more lanes
break down,( IF ) that happens we just need to double up Cheers Jules.

HI Hollywood
After reading your post, I think you are "having a panic attach" LOL,,,,
You will have plenty of time to play 8 games each day, 5 to a pair, and get finished at a reasonable time.
6 games on the sunday is just not on, a lot is at stake for a few people at this tournament. !!
Start earlier each day, if necessary. (It is daylight saving after all for those that dont like the dark) !
Keep to your published entry form, 8 games each day please.
my 2bobs worth.
brenda kirkwood

Well said Paul, I had been thinking lately that a long pattern hasn't been put down yet and they are generally harder than the short. A roll-off could easily have been organised but as usual the TBA didn't want to go that way as they have their own agenda, it has always been that way over the 50 years or so and will always be that way. I wish the ATBSO would create a ranking system using the same events and their own nationals as this would be a better option as the ATBSO knows what seniors needs are and the TBA is trying to grow adult bowling when the seniors are the growth of the game.

Hi all, glad you are staying with London, after killing myself on the SHORT pattern in Melbourne, I for one am looking forward to playing on the LONG oil. As for games, I would like to stay at 16 games 8 & 8, with early start both days. 8 & 8 plays more fairly, as you can find the shot day 1 and build on that day 2, just my thoughts, looking forward to the event regardless, see you then.

Gordon Robinson

Back
Top Bottom