Best Australian Bowler in History (vote now)

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Who is the best Australian tenpin bowler of all time? List your pick and why you think they deserve the title of BEST EVER!

Terry Wenban: He could win from the gutter to 25.And did he win

its clear as day who is the greatest australian bowler of all time........

heres the portfolio...

over 100 major / minor tournament victories.
somewhere near 13 300,s
a number of fiq medals
countless rachuig reps
numerous australian records
etc, etc, etc, etc

stand up and take a bow......

"IAN BRADFORD"

also note that all these stats where preformed "pre" and post eurothane stuff.

ok he,s the last person to shout at the bar or drink til dawn with his mates pre tournament day,,,, but so long as my backside points to this earth of ours, his record of tournament wins will never ever be broken.

icon_smile.gif

All time - Ian Bradford
Present - Stephen Best (He is on fire in my books!)
Future - Evan Matthews. Actually Nathan Paterson from Sunset.

You all might think that I'm full of crap for posting this, but time is proof, and as the saying goes, it is the express opinion of the author.....

Weazal!

Hmmm - arent we overlooking some people here "narrow minded" bowlers???

FEMALES that should be considered include:

Honeychurch, Gurster, Gionotti and.... (oops forgot the name - the first Australian to win the crown of World Amature Champion - she did it two years running - back in the 80's....).

Anyway - I am sure you got the point - dont overlook the achievements of the ladies guys - they have achieved more on the world stage than any male to my knowledge...

ALSO - what is the name of the guy who hosts the TV show - wheel of fortune? He used to be a pro bowler before taking to a career of TV.

Wayne Chester - do you class as an Aussie?

AND - what other Australian born bowlers who had careers overseas?

Food for thought.

Just another note - COULD BE's for this title in the future...

CB (if ever he decided to take it seriously)
ER (has the physical game - just needs motivating)

Oh yeah, if Sue Castle and Andrew Frawley ever have children - LOOK OUT !!! LOL

bye.

hey browny

a bit disappointed in your last post there pete !!!!!
the question is...... "who is the best australian bowler of all time"
we can all sit down and make up formulas to determine how to rate the best......well i for one say tournament wins is ahead of any other achievements, being fiq, rachuig, 300's, or overseas placings.
ian bradfords records stand alone and the proof is in the stats.....please let me know if there is someone out there that has gone close too, equalled or surpassed his efforts.

no one can take away the achievements of the girls you have mentioned....
ruth gurster in particular has won over 60 major and minor tourneys, and has similar (if not better) fiq and rachuig stats as bradford.
cara's record is up there too, we all know her stats.
carols is close behind.....
barbara richmond must have a mention among the greats,
so too amanda bradley....
and of course our double world cahampion of the 80's jeanette baker......
sue cassel is in the field too....

of course lets not forget the other guys either.........

steve mackie
terry wenban
ron powell
eric thompson
frawls
chris batson
steve lovell
john sullivan
brian bridges
richard hall
flynny
tom kury
frank ryan
fred allsop
mike muir
joe velo........
theres probably dozens more........
BUT.........
i still stand to the original question asked....our GREATEST of all time bowler.
IAN BRADFORD......take another bow...

sorry pete, i,m just answering the question asked from the original post.

Trev...

I see where you are coming from - how many amature victories equate to a world title or professional victory?

Hell, I've won plenty of tournaments (no-tap, junior, handicap etc..) - dont get me wrong, I am not saying that Bradfords titles weren't against the worlds best - because some of them (SPC) were.

My point is, if you are doing a tournament count and using that as the criteria - do you know how many tournaments each of the people mentioned has won?

AND - how many local amature titles equate to a professional or world title? Are there not many (every one in fact) professional bowlers who have not won in the professional ranks who have numerous victories in Amature tournaments...

Dont get me wrong Trev, I am not saying you are wrong in naming Bradford as number 1 - I just wonder if he would have made as big an impact as Carol and Cara in particular on the Professional circuit if he had been playing the "BIG BOYS".

Perhaps the author of this post, Wayne, having bowled in both the amature and professional ranks may be able to contribute...

Cheers,

Peter
icon_biggrin.gif

Browny your getting to indepth about a Question that was relatively straight forward.
Trevor is pretty much on the money in saying Ian Bradford which i agree with having bowled with the guy and i have bowled with alot of the good ones.
Wenban was great, Kury was Great, Thompson, Lovell, Powell, Mackie, Velo all were great but to me Bradford just seemed to be that bit in front of them and i feel it was due to his methodical approach to the game.
Granted Carol and Cara are fantastic as well and i think at this stage that Carol is the best Female bowler having amassed over $800000 USD in her career and been successful nearly every year that she has been on the Pro Tour but i think eventually that Cara will surpass that and become our best ever women bowler and possibly our best ever bowler.
The Ref

On my last post I only mentioed males. Sorry bout that. In the female ranks I would have to say it would be close between Jeanette Baker and Carol Gianotti. At the moment I would have to say Cara, but lets not forget Maxine Nable. I think she is great bowler with loads of potential!

Weazal!

the other person I couldn't think of a few minutes ago was Amanda Bradley. One of the simplest, yet best styles I have ever had the pleasure of watching! Classic text book style in my opinion.

Weazal!

'Best' 'Greatest' are they the same? If greatest means the longest list of wins, medals,etc, that's easy just compile a list,BUT,if greatest means best,then that is a matter of opinion. First,it now matters who you beat,as well as what you won. Second,it's not possible to compare bowlers in the 60's and 70's with current and reasonably current bowlers - Why? In those early days the only thing a ball could do was what the bowler made it do.Even so,some moved the ball a long way - Eric Jang,for instance - God knows what he would have done with an aggressively drilled pro-active.
Thirdly,there just were'nt the numbers of events to enter,and travel was not as easy.
So the past and present can't be directly compared,but having seen most of those already mentioned,from 1961 to 2001,I might as well add to the silly answers with one of my own.
So let's suppose we can get them together,each at their peak,and bowl them over a fair number of games on a variety of conditions,with the same era of equipment,say the first 2 years of reactives,or better still,one ball [ say a black U Dot ] and if anyone wants to run a book,I'd have to spread a bit of money around on Joe Velo,Ian Bradford and Cara

Blokes

Best in 60's -Velo and Mackie(tie)
70's- Eric Thompson, Velo, Batson, Mackie
80's- Bradford, Wenban, Bridges, Lovell
90's- Wazza, Bradford, Ryan, Frawls, Flynny, Muir
00's(So Far)Bruno, Flynny, Muir....

Birds

Ruth, JB, Sue, Cara, Carol, Maxine, Trish Datson, Jean Soderlund etc etc....

and how about Kury, Kee, Powell, G Smith, Manning, Davy, R Smith, Rodrick, Bucket, Hunt

Next Question?

Back
Top Bottom