Belmo Triumphs with PBA PLAYER OF THE YEAR Accolade

elsie

Social media networks are abuzz as tributes flow across the world in response to today’s momentous win by Australia’s Jason Belmonte of the coveted PBA PLAYER OF THE YEAR award.
The accolade caps his stunning rise to stardom in the professional ranks of tenpin bowling that began as 2009 Rookie of the Year and includes seven PBA titles, including the prestigious USBC Masters.
“It's humbling and it feels so bloody good,” Belmonte quipped online as he summed up his emotions on achieving this pinnacle career achievement.
Renowned and now widely emulated for his unorthodox two-handed delivery Belmonte joins Venezuela’s Amleto Monacelli and Finland’s Mika Koivuniemi as the only non-US players to win the PBA’s highest annual competition honour. He is also the first two-handed player to win the award which was inaugurated in 1963, twenty years before Belmonte was born in the regional city of Orange, New South Wales.
“This award has a lot of meaning for me because it represents the fact that you can do it your way and be successful,” Belmonte said. “I’ve taken a lot of criticism but I’m a firm believer in pinning your ears back and going for your dreams,” he added.
Jason Belmonte is recognised as one of the most charismatic and influential figures in international bowling. He has amassed innumerable amateur and pro titles on five continents and has twice been named World Bowling Writers BOWLER OF THE YEAR – initially in 2005 when he was the first Australian male to win that award and the youngest male bowler ever to be honoured by the world’s bowling media, and again in 2008.
Belmonte was presented with his latest award at Michigan’s Thunderbowl Lanes where the Barbasol PBA Tournament of Champions gets underway this evening, local time.
The 2012-2013 Chris Schenkel PBA Player Of The Year Award was the culmination of an expanded 14-month campaign that began in November 2012 and ended on 31 December, 2013, as the PBA returned to a traditional calendar year season that began on 1 January this year.
Further details can be found at www.jasonbelmonte.com, www.pba.com, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
ends

Congratulations Jason. You are in very rare company now to have won rookie of the year and player of the year. Off the top of my head, only Mike Aulby comes to mind with both trophies.

There's any number of superlatives that would be appropriate to describe just what an achievement this is. But let's face it. Only those that win it or get damned close will ever fully understand the depth of commitment and effort combined with raw ability that is required to scale these heights. The rest of us can just imagine.

Outstanding mate. Outstanding.

Cheers,
Jason Doust

Back
Top Bottom