Australian Team Selection Criteria

T

Tonto

So what are peoples thoughts?

What should the criteria be and what importance do you place on each criteria?

After the ladies rolloff I was intrigued to see that one of the ladies selected did not even make the final.

As per my question does anyone know where to find the criteria?

Apoligies in advance if I have my info wrong.

icon_eek.gif
icon_confused.gif

Drew,

I think you've explained the reasoning for the selection better than any I have ever heard.

I thnik we all accept that the job of seletcing the local under 8 side is tough enough so we can only imagine the difficulty and pressure (and backlash) that goes along with selecting a national team. Not a job I'd enjoy.

But, as you've explained it's not necessarily about selecting the 6 best. It's about selecting the 6 that can perform the best together and I think people forget this.

That being said I think the selectors (and I dont even know who they are) should be more open with why certain nominees omitted. This may possibly already be available but I believe whoever nominated should be offered the opportunity of feedback to explain why they missed and what they could do to improve their chances in the future.

Hopefully this would stop some of the usual remarks and offer people incentive to continue to try and improve knowing their following the selectors thoughts.

I hope you are correct and that those chosen on "Experience" and to "get the team members going right from the start in Hong Kong" actually do what they have been put in the team to do.

Don't matter if they don't bowl well, as long as they get the team going!

My opinion based on what I hear around the centres.

Good Bowling
Boomerang

Hi Tonto,

Noticed nobody has replied to you and this could end up a fairly sensitive issue but here goes...

I was chatting to a couple of people who are far more knowlegable in this area than i am and their take on the selections was this.

You have a team of 6 ladies, 3 are in by default. In that 3 you have a lady that has never bowled on an international stage before(Kate). The selectors are obviously looking to blood some new bowlers by picking Kathy which is great but now you have 2 bowlers(Kate and Kathy) who have never played internationally before. So really taking the makeup of the team into account, making sure the other two players that went away had plenty of experience and fit into the team makeup was vitally important. Sue and Amanda really fit the bill in this department they've both been away many times and have been hugely successful. They can be there to help get the new members going from the moment they get to Hong Kong. Blooding new talent has to be done but you'd never see the other successful Aussie teams do it in a broad manner(if they can help it), so while the selection may look a little strange on the back of one tournament result when you look at the bigger picture it makes more sense. The selectors never have an easy job and it's difficult to keep everyone happy but i'm sure they've got a team there that can do the job!

Just a perspective to consider..

Hey BOOMERANG and TONTO!!!!
Stop hiding behind your alias, let us know who you are and just come out and say what you really want to say!!!

Frawls,
Who they are isn't very important unless you want to counter attack them, however what they are trying to say is....well you are in a situation of being a little bias with this one...knowing closely one of the competitors who made the team...I would almost go to say you could get a little defensive if someone points the finger.
But I would be very interested as a old bowler (not of your standard of course) how teams are selected fairly, and also would like to know who the selectors are and there experiences in this matter....unless it is a national secret of some sort.
drewc mentioned of new blood in the team which is good to see and also having old blood there as well (sorry girls about the old) providing they are in form over the previous 12 months or so to at least have something to base there actions as being part of the team.
You my friend should know what has happened in the past of previous teams in that certain people "I BELIEVE" (not naming any vics.)have been so far up the presidents A**E and buy him lots of drinks at rachuig dinners that he was almost certain to be part of the team.
I know it would be difficult to be part of any SELECTION (theres that word most of us hate especially here in S.A.) committee and also for bowlers that are good enough that can't travel around the country to bowl in all the tournaments(those that are left).
Please your comments on this one.
thanks
TONY STOPPEL

im guessing that maybe your refering to sue. well all i can say is that people do have their bad days and i think its clear thats what happened. the selectors not only look at how u performed that weekend but also how u have performed previously. like the majority of the girls in the team sue has been overseas and in most cases performed well - winning a gold medal.
all the girls in the team this year deserve to be there so congratulations and good luck in hong kong.

just a point of view....

This happens every FIQ year!

You critize before the event, then congratulate after the Australian Teams bring home the medals. IT'S A JOKE!!
Can't people just congratulate bowlers for their achievements.

Well I have to say that these women deserve to be there and the people having a whinge need to get a reality check.

I cannot see the problem. For many years the Women's FIQ Team have returned home with medals.

Four of the women have had experience at the World level and for them to be in the FIQ Team is essential to pass on the knowledge and teach the youth about the FIQ level of the game.

Sam made the point in her post. It is the big picture that gets you selected in the National Teams. At State and National level, one poor performance in an event should be overlooked as just a bad day. We all have them and not just in sport but in life!

Tonto & Boomerang - WHAT'S THE GO??

here is just a short list of why these women should be in the FIQ Team to compete in Hong Kong.

Ann-Maree Putney - A World Champion
Amanda Bradley - A World Champion
Sue Cassell - Numerous FIQ Medals and is also a champion of many tournaments
Debbie Baldock - Past FIQ Team Member & Represented NSW & WA numerous times.
Kate Wilton - NSW State Rep and is very talented and has the youth on her side.
Cathy Elwell - Qld Rep and a talented youth bowler.

All have bowled numerous 300 games.

Girls you need to post all your wins and achievements from State,National & International levels.

That might stop those whinging posts! It might not actually, forgot the Men's FIQ Trials are two weeks away.

icon_mad.gif

Christian

Carl,

Your spot on there about the nominated bowlers knowing why they missed the team. I think we need to know so we can improve that area of our game.
It will make us better bowlers and help us succeed in the sport at tournaments and also State and National Team Representation.

It cannot hurt to send a letter to the bowlers missing the team explaining what areas they need to improve for future selection.

Selection is never easy and not many would lie to be given the task.
It is always open for slander against being biasis, this i can never forsee in changing

I have to agree with Carl it is imperative that bowlers are given a call or letter written explaining why perhaps they missed out so as they can attack that part/s of their game to enhance their chances nexxt time

As for blooding new bowlers this is a must every year.

I believe Frawls made comment in here once about Gilmour picking a rookie some 15years ago or more and now look at him "Andrew Frawley" one of Australias best performed International and NAtional players and one hell of an Ambassador.

Lets take a quick look at our 3 heroines Carol, Cara and MAxine all doing well on the PROFESSIONAL TOUR.
THEY DIDNT GET THERE WITHOUT SOMEONE PUNTING ON THEM MANY MOONS AGO AND GIVEN A CHANCE FOR REPRESENTATION.

Personally though from what I can make out even at National level there are too many great players not throwing their hat in the ring, this needs to be looked at and resolved, as Aussies seem to do well at the Asian Zone level but Worlds (more so in the men) seems to fade away. Are the Swedes, Colobians, Qataris and Americans that much better than us?

Simply my humble opinion, very curious to suggestions on how we can get more players in the pool for selection.

5 of the six women in this team played together as NSW Rachuig team members,and the record of NSW womens Rachuig teams speaks for itself.
Sue Cassell, without doubt Australia's finest Tenpin ambassador, (men included), deserves special recognition as she is in the unfortunate position of having to bowl sometimes on Tournament conditions laid down by Andrew.
Correct me if I am wrong Sue, but you must have it in the back of your mind that if you perform well people will say or think, "Yes but look who put the condition down".
That can't do a great deal for your focus.

My congratulations to the selectors, they have done a great job.

I have never seen or heard of Andrew Frawley putting down a condition at a tournament or incharge of putting down a condition at a tournament (exception of Shell Harbour) cause Sue and Andrew own the place.

Thought Andrew was a Proprietor and Bowler not a Head Technician!!
icon_razz.gif

hi all, yes it's correct, selectors are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

For those who have been unfortunate to miss out on selection I am sure June will be open to providing you with some information. I did do this and am happy to say that I did receive some written information within a few days after my telephone conversation with her.

Whilst the disappointment remains, I suppose being named 1st Reserve is some consolation. Albeit, it would be difficult to take up a position on the team if one became available knowing it would be as a result of someone else's misfortune. However, I am raring to go, so anyone one of you 6 girls who wants to break a leg in the next few months, feel free
icon_wink.gif
Just kidding, but wish you all the best anyway, Bring Back those medals. Good Luck.

I know that almost nobody is going to agree with this, but once having appointed selectors, up to, say, five, with a provision to replace, say, two of them every two years, I would then let them get on with the job, using any criteria they decided to use.

Shock !!! -- Horror !!

Why would I do this?

To try to always send the best bowlers available at the time.

This needs flexibility more than it needs eligibility criteria (including roll-offs, participation in specific events, etc) - I would be simply trying to find the best team.

This may include those currently in top form and it may also include others, who, for instance have a record of lifting their game when the pressure is on, or are presently carrying an injury, etc., etc.

Selection trials of any type, not just in bowling, but in any sport, offer a measure of protection against criticism of selectors, more than they help to select the best.

Were I a selector, I would know I was going to cop criticism, and frankly I would not care. I would know why I made the decisions I did; I would be happy to tell any one why I made those decisions, and that would include those who had not been selected. I would then know that a number of people would still not agree. Again, I would not care, so long as I knew that my motivation for selections, had been to produce the best team available at the time.

So, my way, nobody would be cemented in position, but to get them out, someone would need to be performing better. No one would be guaranteed a place by where they finished in a specific event or events, at they would still be compared with others performing well in other (non selection) events, and in the same way that I wouldn’t necessarily select someone because of how they went in a specific event, neither would I exclude somebody for a poor performance from time to time

The only exception I would make to the selection of the best bowlers I could find, would be to exclude someone with a poisonous or disruptive attitude, and if that was the case, I’d tell them so.

Finally, regardless of how it is done, being a selector is always going to be a thankless task, and selectors seldom deserve the criticism they get. It is a fact of life that they won’t always get it right, but I believe that the more they are allowed to exercise their judgment and the less they have to work ‘inside a square’ the better chance they have of getting it right.

I wouldn't be a selector for quids. After seeing some absolutely wonderful bowling at the women's Adelaide Cup on the last day, it would have been a very hard decision for the selectors.

Jo, I know you are disappointed, but it's still nice to read your comments to the gals who did make the team, and that you are behind them.

I would also like to congrat those who made it, and wish you all a great tourny in Hong Kong (lucky you, I love Hong Kong), and I have great faith in you all that you will do your very best bowling wise and also be great ambassadors for our lovely country.

Also, to the guys who make it - ditto (looking forward to seing who will be in the team).

Heather S

Well I'm still waiting for my answer to who are the FIQ selectors..(names please) just for interest sake. Surely someone is capable of telling me.
thanks tony

Strop

To my understanding, the selectors are Ken Thompson, June Voukolous and Kevin Braun. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

G

Selectors are Kevin Braun, Ken Thompson, Brett Riley and June is Chairperson of Selectors. I am not sure whether June has a "vote" or just oversees the selection process??

Jo

Back
Top Bottom