Australian Open & Vic 150

Glenno

"Sorry!!"
Hi there,just a question regarding those respective tournaments,why dosent both tournaments coincide with each other with the dates? Im sure one year not long ago they both were on the same dates?
thanks
glen.

hey guys..

for as long as i can remember....... vic150 has ALWAYS run fri thru sun and AO was sat thru monday. gave the guys the chance to see the ladies bowl on the friday and vice versa on the monday. i have been to 3 or 4 vic150s in the past and my mum did the same before me... and i am fairly positive that its always been like that..

cheers guys
martina :)

ps - also its ALWAYS been on the easter weekend.. eeeevery year... thanks

Here's some history for you.

The Vic 150 first came about in 1981 with Pat Brook as TD and promoter - and Sue Rafelle [sorry if the spelling is wrong Sue] and Sandra Hornibrook deeply involved..amongst others. I was the MC for that event over the 3 [or was it 4] days.

In 1982 along with Phil Brook and Mike Rollo I gave a rebirth to the AO - it had been a "dead" title since 1977 [Eric Thompson was the carry over champion]. The event held [I think] at Keon Park was huge success - we had 2 TV stations shoot the finals and Ken Watson was the winner...great memories...and it was always, to my mind at least, a title that should never have lapsed. We were very proud to have injected some life into it!

So, and given the relationships between the two groups [ATBA and WTBA as they were then] and the natural connect with the "Brook family" from there on the two events were locked in place on the same Easter weekend in Victoria - and thanks largely to [then] AMF's Steve Mackie they were linked from [I recall] 1983 onwards as tournaments of a "twin" status..the VIC 150 at Keon Park and the Mens AO at Sunshine...timed exactly as they are now and for the very reason MS mentions so as the men could watch the ladies Day One qualifying on Easter Friday and so the Ladies could watch the mens Finals on Monday.

If my memory is not correct on any one point [maybe more] I know someone will correct me and will in fact do so with care - it's all a little but hard to remember!

Steve,

Not sure about the event back in 1983, but nowadays the Australian Open is exactly that, it's no longer a Men's only event.

Peter - I recall without any real clarity I have to admit speaking to a number of ladies at the time about a Ladies AO division - Barb Richmond I recall was a critical influence on whatever direction we went, I always respected Barbs input - she seemed to have a very good understanding as to what the mood of the ladies elite was. In the event I don't recall if we ran a Ladies Division or opened the tournamentt up or in fact didn't do either because the VIC 150 was up and running.

i havent bowled vic150 in a few years, but i can say to any one that is ever considering bowing a womens event, this is definately the one to bowl. an absolute FAAAANTASIC event!!

the ladies that run this tournament are truly the best! i have never and will never bowl in a tournament that is this welcoming and well run.

this is by far, the ladies 'premier tournament' of the year! and i believe ALOT of australian female bowlers, young and old will agree.

cheers guys
martina

Hey Steve your memory is pretty good, if I recall did Lee (Osler) Booth win a Womens Australian open at Sunshine. Dont remember the year but I know she was only a baby then:rolleyes:

Thx Joe - well done - I need to really look into my files and see what I can find - Lee Osler indeed, good memory mate. Trust all is well.

Joe

I recall the Ladies AO was bowled at a different time to the Mens AO due to Vic 150 event.

I know it has been open to women for a long time but do not know when that entry criteria changed. Maybe Cara might know.

The Ladies AO use to be run over the long weekend in June and before it ceased to exsist was usually at Ringwood.

It coincided with the Melbourne Cup which was open to both Men & Women.

I know when I first bowled Melbourne Cup at Mooralbark in the mid to late 90's alot of the women at the time like AMP, Debbie Granger(Baldock), Katrina Willeme were bowling both of the tournaments.

The 2 centres were reasonably close together which helped make this occur.

Much like why Keon Park & Sunshine aren't that bad to spectate at 1 centre and bowl at the other.

Back
Top Bottom