Australia’s Reps decided for 2012 QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup

elsie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Wed 11 April

Melbourne’s AMF Keon Park bowling centre hosted a hectic schedule of bowling action over Easter as top bowlers from around the country battled for the coveted berths as Australia’s representatives at the 2012 QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup.

Over three days from 6-8 April, a record line-up of male and female bowlers simultaneously contested the Grouped Property Services Australian Open and the Vic 150 tournaments.

27 year-old Ben Coupland from Melbourne’s Brighton East won the Australian Open trophy and top prize-money, while former Bowling World Cup champion Ann-Maree Putney from Newcastle took the title with a superb 231.7 average over eleven games of matchplay in the Vic 150 event. The win gives ‘AMP’ the right to challenge for the title that she won in St. Petersburg in 2007 and will be her eleventh appearance as Australia’s female representative at this prestigious international tournament.

Coupland came into the final day’s play as top seed after posting a stunning 244.63 average in 16 games of qualifying, 96 pins ahead of Victoria’s David Porto who had won the Australian Open tournament in 2006. Following the cut to top 14, the round-robin matchplay provided a thrilling finish, but Coupland held on to victory with a narrow 16 pin margin over Porto. Victoria’s Mac Stewart took third place and bonus-point top honours by winning eight, and tying one of the 13-game matchplay games.

“This is the first big milestone for me after returning to competitive bowling following a couple of years travelling in Europe” commented Coupland today. “Watching events overseas really drove me to get back into training and I’m thrilled to have this opportunity to represent Australia again,” he said.

The format of the Vic 150 pairs Open and Graded female bowlers, and the partnership of Ann-Maree Putney and Susanne Jack from New South Wales withstood a concerted challenge by Lexi Nicoll and Chris Niquet, with Jacinta Gilliland and Debbie Naughten combining to take third place. The Vic 150 also provided an edge-of-the-seat finish, with bonus points to Putney/Jack for wins in ten of the eleven matchplay games edging out the Nicoll/Niquet pair by a mere eight pins overall.

Detailed scores for both tournaments can be found on the Tenpin Events page of the website of the sport’s national governing body, Tenpin Bowling Australia - Tenpin Bowling Australia: Tenpin Bowling Australia

ends

lc

Well done to all the bowlers who have been selected for these teams.

A special well done to Bec who had to make a very hard decision and decline the invite to go to Cyprus. All of these bowlers have to fund these trips themselves and it makes it difficult to take take time off work.

I am sure that all the teams will do Australia proud.

Back
Top Bottom