Are the days of bowling down 5 board slipping away?

Toon

OWN IT!
I do enjoy the straight down 5 board line, gives me alot more accuracy. With todays gear, (though I do have quite an angular release) I find it harder and harder to roll straight down 5.

Moreso see myself rolling 10 to 5 or even 15- 5.

I am learning to roll with more forward motion to eliminate this.

Does anyone else find this happening with the modern coverstocks and cores?

How long till they are so aggressive t hat rolling straight down the line is obsolete?

I have noticed that Norm Duke used to roll inwards with a slight angle. rolling from 1-5, now seems to roll straight down the line and sometimes throwing it out a few boards.

anyone else changed their lines over the years to acustom to the new technology?

Cheers.

Toon,

There are a few factors that have to be taken into account in answering your question.

1. Are you using extremely aggressive coverstocks? If so, the probability is that they will burn up if played straight up 5, especially if you are a bit rev dominant. There are plenty of less aggressive coverstocks tht will allow you to play your preferred line.

2. Are you using aggressive layouts? Most bowlers still request aggressive layouts which, in the majority of cases, make the ball too powerful to play straight up. There are plenty of less aggressive layouts (e.g. 1 -1 1/2" Pin to PAP) that will allow you to play straighter lines.

3. Has your game changed? As we get a bit older, we generally lose a bit of ball speed, making it imperative that we change angles. Or have you gained a bit of hand over the journey? All these will mean you can't play your preferred line as easily as you used to be able to.

4. Has your centre upgraded its lane machine? An upgraded lane machine wil clean better than older one (if it is calibrated properly)

Good points Brenton.

(sigh) I miss playing 5 board badly. It's one of the reasons I like the Sport Series so much. On the short patterns, you can actually play along the edge.

To name the elephant in the room though, the main reason is called CHEATING, or as it's known, the Typical House Shot. Most houses simply don't oil out to 5 any more. Or put so little down, it's impossible without chucking. I remember that 3-3 was a great line for hitting the 4 pin at Tuggeranong. If your lanes are blocked on 10 board, 5 board probably isn't an option. Too dry and no room for error.

Sorry, but I see it everywhere. Just calling it what it is.

Cheers,
Jason

Simply a lack of oil as Jason says, l'm using the same balls now at Boronia as l used 18yrs ago at Ringwood. (Purple Hammer pin on pap) There is no possibility of rolling up outside 5 board on any house shot but back at Ringwood it was the only line we played.

Thanks guys for the opinions. I have a new ball arriving in a week or so. I will try a less aggressive layout and see how things go.

Lol, you buy a super aggressive ball then wonder why you cant throw it down 5 board.

Wasn't that long ago that bowlers had brain cells that they used. I guess now it is an unfair advantage.

What have you got coming?

It might take more than a tame layout to give you the reaction you seek, if the ball is too coverstock aggressive.

Good luck.

Lol, you buy a super aggressive ball then wonder why you cant throw it down 5 board.

Wasn't that long ago that bowlers had brain cells that they used. I guess now it is an unfair advantage.

It's more the case of I haven't bought a ball in 4 years and things change. Both in my own shot/release and ball design

G'Day Toon,

I went through the same thing when I started again. Bought a handful of balls from entry level to advanced level. Played with the surface and layout, then once I had what I liked to bowl, I bought three with progressively different layout. If I want it to hook I can either add some texture or slow it down get a little more hand on the ball.

Now the only excuse is user error, which for the last few weeks has been high as I try to work on a few areas of my game that are quite simply put as, poor.

I'm sure there would some people that would have a red pearl Hammer or something similar collecting dust in their closets that would do the job for you Toon ;)

To be fair i think it needs to be remembered that there are wide and varying levels of experience in this forum and that a bit of useful information is probably more productive than some of the comments being made.

In a nutshell mate most balls today are not good for straight down 5, some conditions might suit it but in a house league its just not the shot, move left, adjust and keep trying.

Just stick to the likes of Brenton and Jason for your advice, cant go wrong.

Good luck.

As it happens, i know a few guys in my home centre have found old urethane balls, drilled them up and throw a successful 200+ average with them playing off the edge.
Urethane, as obselete as some people may think it is, serves its purpose in the modern game just as everything else does.
It is an option for you if you want to throw that line otherwise its just all adjustments not necessarily a ball change.

As it happens, i know a few guys in my home centre have found old urethane balls, drilled them up and throw a successful 200+ average with them playing off the edge.
Urethane, as obselete as some people may think it is, serves its purpose in the modern game just as everything else does.
It is an option for you if you want to throw that line otherwise its just all adjustments not necessarily a ball change.

Hi Ubby,

This is an area that I find interesting. You tend to see people move a long way and throw the ball the same way. Even though they may have been able to throw their natural line with an index finger position change and hand position adjustment on the release.

Maybe the new balls has really dropped the craftsmen like bowling off the requirements list.

Just to add my thoughts to the debate ... a good percentage of the PBA regional events are being won by bowlers shooting a very wide line (around 5 board) so I dont think the shot has become obsolete just yet.

I guess it comes down to how the lanes are 'dressed' and the type and layout of the balls being used.

The fine tuning adjustments are something that every bowler that walks into a competitive rena should know and understand.
At the same time though, if you have a good technical knowledge as far as your equipment goes and you know a ball change will get you results quicker then by all means, thats the way to go.

G'Day Ubby,

So really, limit the number of balls allowed per bowler per event. Lets say four, then you have to make an educated decision on technique as well as ball choice and line. That is what makes the greats like Norm Duke the players they are. They change their release and run a aggressive ball up any line they choose.

Back
Top Bottom