A TRUE GENTLEMAN

SCOOPS

GUINNESS SWILLUS
Sad news just come to hand

Henk Van Dongen one of the nicest men you could ever possibly hope to meet and have as a friend passed away this morning

Henk came to Fairlanes back in 1988. It didnt take long before he and his partner Paul were joining a league, then 2 & 3 and so on. Buying balls, getting lessons man they were keen. I can still remember the Royal Blue maxim having half a dozen hole marks in it within a year. he didnt just want to bowl he wanted to achieve the best standard he could

He was soon bowling all the house tournies and championships around the state. Perth Cup and Gold Cups were a challenge for him that he just had to be apart of.

Henk was quick to put his hand up for anything. It was never any trouble to come down to the centre and help with the odd Learn to Bowl. And u would see him helping others at any time, whether he was just practising or bowling in a league.

You always wanted to put the new bowlers with him, cause u knew they would be looked after with extreme interest. It was a passion for him to help with the want of nothing in return, just the satisfaction that he had helped in some small way

When the centre based Assoc came about he was quick to volunteer his services to help the committee and the centre get this off the ground and credit to him and his heart for people, bowling and fairlanes the association wouldnt be half of what it is today without his inclusion

I was fortunate enough to sit with Henk on the Wednesday morning after this years Perth Cup and chat with him. It wasnt great news that he had to share, but i feel so honoured that he shared his pain with me.

Henk you are so special and will always have a place in our hearts and will never be out of our thoughts. I am just proud to be able to say that i have known you. 15years of friendship for a life time of memories thank you from the bottom of my heart

My love to Paul, Ronnie, Eileen and Les he'll be watching over you. I wish i could be there with you all at this very sad time.

Henk just let me know how the lanes are playing up there and if you can get that dreaded 10pin out.

One day we'll have a game again together and a smoke in the smokers room. and catch up on old times

Scoops...... your subject couldn't be more true. Henk really was a true gentleman. I have only known Henk for the short time I have been working at Fairlanes - around 2 years - but in that time I had never seen Henk walk in the centre without a smile on his face and I always got a cheery hello. Mondays certainly won't be quite the same without Henk there.

Rest in Peace Henk - it was an honour to know you

Alan Skupin you have just posted the best message I have seen on TotalBowling.....

I havent been at Fairlanes long enough to have known Henk personally, but after reading the above I too feel that bowling in Western Australia has lost a fantatsic ambassador and as you say a " True Gentlemen" of the sport.

Makes all others posts, such as the Kegel Post in another forum seem insigificant....

After all its not the new technology that keeps us coming back, its the friends and relationships we make along the way.....

Rest in Peace Henk

Clinton Phelps

Well said Clint, and thankyou Alan & CJ.

Yes what a lovely man Henk was....very brave and faced his illness with the courage he showed to all of us on the lanes.

You said you'd just have to face this hicup head on and that you did Henk. You are an inspiration to us all and perhaps we' should all grizzle less and enjoy our game while we can.

All our bowlers are special, Henk has touched us all in a very special way and all of us at Failranes offer our love and support to Paul, Eileen, Ronnie & Les.

Rest in Peace Henk

Sue

It is some time later that I sit and catch up on old posts and I was saddened to read this one.
I first met Hank at the Castlebets Tavern in Ossie Park in 1985, he was the bar manager. Steve Wimbridge and myself would eat there every week and catching up with the gossip with Hank was part of that ritual. Our friendship was strong throughout the 1990's at Fairlanes as he 'always' had time to talk. I sit here quite quietly typing this message just wondering...
Hank, I will miss you friendly face at Fairlanes.

A rather stunned Stax

Back
Top Bottom