1. Paul Robinson
2. Josh Colbert
3. Tyson Hinton
4. Russell Hinton
5. Mac Stewart
6. Gavin Cox
7. Vi Huynh
8. Andrew Thorpe

Note that I make this point with objectivity.

I would like the format to be reconsidered as far as the stepladder goes.
Top five one game knockout stepladder final is a product made specially for television.

In my opinion whether an event is 8 games, 20 games, total pinfall or matchplay the top player at that stage should be the winner.
With a stepladder the "reward" for being first is to sit out for an hour and wait to be assassinated by another bowler who has warmed up and just won a match on the same pair of lanes!
It seems nonsensical to me that, for example, a bowler who finished fourth by maybe 100 pins after eight games can then win three more games by say one pin each and win the tournament!

If we must have finals make it top two over two games or give the top qualifier a repercharge.

Barry

From what I saw of the format I beleive you keep bowling until you are the lowest bowler. So there is no sitting out as you have to keep bowling until you are eliminated.

Thus in this case I don't agree with you where normally I would as the best bowler on the day is going to end up the winner due to their ability to keep ahead of all the others.

Barry,

The VSS was started to offer bowlers a chance to compete on patterns that require them to raise to a higher skill level. While a typical bowler might find one pattern suites their style, the next event could have them drop 20pins in average, so the series is there to help them develop in to a more rounded player. With this in mind, we try to keep entry fees low enough that you can get enough games to grasp the concept of the pattern and still have a fair prizefund spread. For most of the bowlers, the finals format is unimportant as their focus is on the experience, however we are always happy to receive feedback from the bowlers and are always willing to look at making changes to ensure the series remains something people want to take part in.

I understand where your coming from and we are looking at running a "straight" games format at one of the events this year. We are trying to work a few different finals formats into the single day events while the "main" section of each event will remain at least 8 games. Matchplay finals format has been ruled out for these one day events due to time and cost constrictions.

Where possible when running a stepladder final, we try to have each match on alternating pairs to eliminate one bowler from "working" the pair through 4 games to the final. There is also usually a warm up pair for the next bowler to get going on.

The final format we are doing for the Geelong event has the top bowlers ALL bowling each game with lowest being eliminated. Your concern about the top bowler going "cold" should be taken care off here as they don't stop bowling.

Cheers,

Luke

Entry List:

1. Paul Robinson
2. Josh Colbert
3. Tyson Hinton
4. Russell Hinton
5. Mac Stewart
6. Gavin Cox
7. Vi Huynh
8. Andrew Thorpe
9. Chris Mackenzie
10. Amanda De Lange
11. Barry Wicks

Luke and Terry

Thanks for the input, my remarks were not specifically directed at the next event, rather for the future tournaments. The last event was top 5 all on the same lane and no repercharge.

Barry

Entry List:

1. Paul Robinson
2. Josh Colbert
3. Tyson Hinton
4. Russell Hinton
5. Mac Stewart
6. Gavin Cox
7. Vi Huynh
8. Andrew Thorpe
9. Chris Mackenzie
10. Amanda De Lange