2008 Aspley Youth - 20 & 21 Sept

Obviously you wont have exact numbers until the day so couldnt you do a revised payout on the numbers you have at the moment. If you have to change it on the day then so be it but atleast you will keep the bowlers that you have a little more happy by doing what they are asking.

It's really a catch 22 situation.

For the prize fund to be a good one with the little bowlers that we do have, we need to have a fairly high entry fee.

We will post the revised payout as soon as possible.

Taya

This is unbelievable WHAT CATCH 22 ? you should do the right thing and either cancel it or move it to a date so that you have a chance of getting more bowlers to bowl.
Cindyd

Its a bit late to change the date now Cindy!!!

The catch 22 is that we can either lower the entry fee and have a poor prize fund or we can leave the entry fee the way it is and have a better prze fund. Either way we go, noone is going to be happy.

Taya

No they are not going to be happy but can you blame them?
I'ts not just the entry fee its the loss of wages,travel, accommodation for some!!!
Can't wait to see prize fund based on 13 entries.
Cindyd

Just a suggestion, can we have all but the last 8 games on the Sunday? Otherwise it will be an extremely late finish, and some people have flights to catch.

Thanks

This is unbelievable WHAT CATCH 22 ? you should do the right thing and either cancel it or move it to a date so that you have a chance of getting more bowlers to bowl.
Cindyd

No they are not going to be happy but can you blame them?
I'ts not just the entry fee its the loss of wages,travel, accommodation for some!!!
Can't wait to see prize fund based on 13 entries.
Cindyd

Hi Cindy,

This is really quite contradictory, you're suggesting to cancel this event or postpone it. Then you're saying you can understand why people would not be happy. How would people who have "loss of wages, travel and accommodation" (as per your previous post) be happy if the event was cancelled or postponed?????

To a certain extent I do understand your point, but please don't shoot the messenger. Taya was working today and was asked by Bruce (Asst Manager) to post a squad list. She is not running, organising or responsible for this tournament. She to is a youth bowler and can understand the concerns and suggestions raised by all.

Unfortunately Mum is away from the bowl until Thursday. At which time she will be meeting with George (Manager) and Bruce (Asst Manager) to discuss the final format, entry fee and prize fund for this event. At the end of the day, even though Mum is the Promotions Manager - all final decisions come down to senior management and are out of her hands (whether she agrees or disagrees)

No matter what the outcome is, it is as Taya said a "catch 22"
There have been suggestions to postpone the event to a weekend that is not quite so "bowling busy" but how does this help the travelling bowlers who have booked flights and accomodation etc. If the event runs as per schedule you risk a small field and a s h i t t y prizefund.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an overall good outcome at all.

Perhaps someone might win the lotto this weekend and put up a huge prizefund and everyone will be happy :banner_88x31_f1:

Does anyone happen to have any constructive ideas to help this tournament and the youth bowlers???

Ta Rachel

Is this tournament still going to be ranked with a field of only 13 bowlers??? As Hamish stated previously, these ranking points help in determining our national team! Surely this cant be right.

And I dont think mum was pointing her comments at anyone in particular, just trying to get an answer and a decision from Aspley in ANY way would be nice because these bowlers have every right to know what is going on. Especially when 5 out of the 13 are required to bowl the event regardless of the entry fee, number of entries or the prize fund.

And also you say either lower the entry fee and have a poor prizefund or keep it high and have a better prizefund, im pretty sure either way it was not looking the best based on the numbers of 40 anyway, so even just a rough estimate when it can be produced on the prize money based on current entries and an answer to Rachaels question of whats happening to the females division with only 6 entries.

Yes it may be too late to do a great deal, but sitting around waiting any longer for some information like a definate start time, a definate entry fee, a definate of whether its a 1 day event or 2 or if its going to be too late finishing that some cant make their flights home is stuffing people around.

I totally agree with you Rachel that "If the event runs as per schedule you risk a small field and a s h i t t y prizefund." - the options to please most a) post pone the event. b) lower the amount of games and make it a 1 day tournament and lower the entry fee or c) combine the male & female divisions, lower the entry fee and and games amount and keep it a 2 day event and d) pray someone wins the lotto.

Maybe some more organisation of a ranked event from Aspley management is required, and perhaps those that ARE in charge of the event inform the bowlers of what is going on and answer all their questions! I have no doubt that if it was a different date n perhaps a more appealing prize pool that there would be any problems in filling the tournament succesfully.

Hayley

I have run many tournaments with varying degrees of success, but the intent has always been to assist the bowlers improve their skills, promote the sport and encourage co-operation - between the bowlers, proprietors and sponsors.

I have worked very hard and sat back biting my nails to have the bowlers nominate then hold by breath on the day to see if they turn up. Afterall I have to face the disenchanted Centre maagement, the sponsors and the bowlers when the numbers are not to everyone's liking.

Purely personal thoughts:
You have enough junior and youth bowlers in South Queensland to get behind the tournament
A ranked event in Queensland will save the extra spent on travelling and accommodation interstate
You are trying to build up a stronger youth group and transistion between the juniors and youth

Leanne

Hi guys,

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, in person, via this thread and PM.

I have been in touch with Melissa and Chris (on Mum's behalf, I'm quicker and a little more skilled on the computer :frusty:) as they are the bowlers travelling the furtherest for this event, Mum just wanted to get some feedback from them ie: how they would feel if the event was postponed and what expenses they would incur if this happened.

They've both been lovely and offered really supportive feedback.

The weekend of Aspley Youth is an exceptionally "Bowling Busy" weekend. At this stage it appears that the most logical thing to do would be to postpone and Mum's suggestion would be one of the following two weekends.

October 18th and 19th
November 1st and 2nd
Following the original format

Would it possible to get some comments, suggestions and feedback from all the bowlers who have and originally had their names down for this event. Mum will be back at work tomorrow and the more infromation she has to take to the management meeting the better.

At the end of the day, Mum wants an outcome where everybody is happy and supportive of this event.

Purely personal thoughts:
You have enough junior and youth bowlers in South Queensland to get behind the tournament
A ranked event in Queensland will save the extra spent on travelling and accommodation interstate
You are trying to build up a stronger youth group and transistion between the juniors and youth
Leanne

This is a great event and a chance for QLD youth bowlers to have an something in their backyard.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your feedback
Rachel
for and on behalf of Gloria Reggars

TBA might not take it too kindly if you run an event against their own Nationals which start on 18th October..

Hi Rachel, you asked for some feeback and this is my opinion.

As per your first weekend it clashes with the adult nationals as andrew has stated and most youth bowlers are bowling in rachuig. And your second weekend is 2 weeks before sharp and interstate bowlers may not travel here two times in two weeks, and sharp is apart of the qubica rankings and youth bowlers may come to this in preference to aspley.

Jacinta

Hey,

Just got a PM from a Mum with a junior bowler (thinking of bowling this event) and she has informed me that the first weekend was not an option. This was confirmed by Andrew and Jacinta. Not sure about the second weekend and Championships being at Aspley. I'll have to double check!

I actually had the same concerns about Sharp (interstate bowlers not wanting to travel twice so close together)

Would there be another possible weekend for this event to be held - that wont clash with something else.

We have such a large number of junior and youth bowlers wanting to participate in as many tournaments as possible (which is a great way to build experience and confidence) that we'd love to see everyone accommadated. The challenge is finding a weekend that suits both junior and youth bowlers!

TBAQ last week advised Aspley to postpone this event, and were told in no uncertain terms that the event would go ahead on the scheduled date regardless.

Now that Aspley appear to be considering our advice more seriously, it might at least be a reasonable idea to wait until the Calendar meeting on Monday night before attempting to re-schedule.

Back
Top Bottom