2006 Warrnambool Cup

Pretty exciting finish to yesterdays Warrnambool Cup. With one round to go (positional round). David Andrews led Merv Billing by 4 pins with George Frilingos a further 9 pins behind. Also within striking distance were last years winner Chris Thomas (35 pins behind leader) and Mac Stewart (41 pins behind).

A brilliant 269 by George in the last saw him get home for a 68 pin win with Chris Thomas and David Andrews tying for second. Well done to George with a 25 game tournament average of 220 - i guess it made the trip down from Qld all the more worthwhile - hope you had a good time George!

From a personal point of view i would also like to congratulate Merv for his superb effort - just couldn't quite match George in the last game - well done Guru!

Thanks to Ian Nichols for all the score updates - I for one really appreciated it!

Well done George
I was a bit disappointed in your effort though, I kept hanging around for
a 300 & all you could produce was a 289.
All those poor little kids that were watching you. lol

Too bad "Tonks" was not there, otherwise a lot more cash would have exchanged on the weekend. :cool:

It was an absolute pleasure making the trip. Thanks to David for taking me down, and Mac and co for putting me up. Sue, Patrick, Ian and the team who made this event one to remember. There is a certain atmosphere that you get in smaller country centres that capital cities have never been able to reproduce.

I had a blast and really had to pull out all the tricks to win this one. It was most memorable and I hope I can drag a few more people down with me next time. As for the 300, give me lanes 5&6 everytime and there would be a perfecto soon enough :D They are my new favourite pair of lanes in the country!

Congrats to the locals who bowled, certainly a huge amount of talent hiding in the country, you just need to get out more :D

Thanks again!

PS It's a shame my friend Tonx didn't make the trip, it wasn't the same without him (approx $250 I mean)

Maybe ill buy some paint off you.... oh wait, do you still sell paint?

You haven't responded to my pm Georgie boy... does this mean you are 'chicken'?

Well Done to the competitors for supporting this year's Warrnambool Cup.
To George, a great fightback of sorts after giving up the lead. True champions will always rise to the top. I totally concur with you also about the tournament. For anyone who hasn't been there, you don't know what your missing. For next year, lets start promoting this now and make it even bigger. Especially because it will be Neville Vagg's 25th anniversary year of bowling sponsership. We owe this man so much. If only there were more like him.
As for the Chicken comment that Tonx made to George, well all i can say is that Tonx's absence spoke volumes and i'm sure i'm not the only one saying it either.
So, Who's the chicken ???

Dave Andrews.
ps. Go the g'bung!

just out of curiosity, what makes the Warrnambool Cup so popular with u out of towners? i don't get to bowl in melb tournaments really, so i don't really know the difference, but everyone raves about our tournament!

Hey ppls,
Dead set tonx what are you hiding from thats all i wanna know? I would like to see you guys go at it in one way or another weather on the golf course or on the lanes but you can't just dis someone and then not be able to stand the backlash which is going to be coming your way....
George is a good guy and knows how to go about his bowling thats all i have to say and thats why he is where his! On top.... Keep up the good bowling cheif, your a gun. Well done on winning down there as well. :D :D
I'm only expressing an opinion on the subject thats it nothing else.
Peace out
Jimmy

Only thing i'm upset about(despite the rot i produced scorewise on saturday!!:confused: ) is having to wait 12 months to get back there and do it again, now if we could get a few more northeners and 10-15 South Aussies to make the trip again like in past yrs it will be even better, this eevnt deserves to get back to a 75-80 bowler field again. Expect a couple more Mt Gambians to make the trip next yr too!!

Congrat's to George on his terrific win
in what was a thrilling final finish...well done =D> =D>

Also a huge congrat's to Dave Andrews on his fantastic =2nd placing you bowled super all weekend ...however i'm still having re-occuring nightmares of the horrifying vision you put before me whilst
i kicked your butt..not once!....not twice!!...but three times
in poker the previous night.... i fear you have scarred me for life :shock:
Warning peoples!!! beware the Gbanger....eewwww!!!

And also congratulations to everyone who made the finals
Mac on a hard earnt 4th...AL baby...Strauny great effort guys\\:D/ \\:D/​

Once again Warranmbool Cup has been run & won. Another great event, and a huge thanks to Neville Vagg who once again has put in a huge amount of sponsorship, to ensure this event runs.

The event itself is just so much fun, and the atmosphere does not really feel like a tournament, more of one where a group of bowlers have gotten together to have some fun. Most people make a weekend off it, including dinner on Saturday night after qualifying. The trip to the bowl is not far to travel, for the City folk to support the event, the format is great, the prizemoney is excellant for the entry fee (fantastic really, great return if you make the cut, 1 in 2 payout). The payout goes beyond the cut, which brings more bowlers into the prizemoney, and make it even more appealing.

Overall l would say this is one of the best events in Victoria, and l would hope that the numbers increase year on year. Itwas dissapointing to see the numbers drop at the last minute on Saturday, but l am sure those bowlers had thier reasons.

Allready looking forward to next years event.

Hey Whasup!
No wonder you are having recurring nightmares. But you would have to say that for Barry's sake. hehe... Save the bluffing for Texas hold'm Mary.
Looking forward to next year's event for sure. C'mon bowlers, support it or it's gone!
Dave Andrews.

Back
Top Bottom