2006 Pepsi Championship Results

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Giant Killer
FAIRLAWN, Ohio - March 5, 2006

Walter Ray Williams Jr. has made a Denny’s PBA Tour record 150 career television appearances. Chris Collins has made just two.

Experience did not come into play Sunday, however, as Collins got the best of the PBA Hall of Famer and denied him his 41st career title, capturing his first career title with a 245-201 win in the 2006 Pepsi Championship at AMF Riviera Lanes.

Collins defeated two bowlers with a combined 62 career titles, knocking off the 40-time titlist Williams and 22-time titlist Norm Duke in the semifinals. Williams was looking to tie Earl Anthony’s all-time career titles record, but failed in his fifth attempt at tying the record.

“It’s pretty exciting for me having to beat Norm Duke and Walter Ray in one day. I never thought it would happen this way, but I always dreamed I would beat one of these guys,” said Collins. “The last few years I bowled out here before I got my exempt status I got used to bowling with all the legends. I’m just really comfortable out here now.”

After getting off to a strong start with strikes in his first three frames, Williams left a 1-2-4-10 washout in the 4th frame, but picked it up to avoid falling behind early. Williams split again in the 6th frame, this time the 4-7-10, which he was not able to pick up. Collins took advantage by striking five consecutive times to clinch his career first title.

Collins, who used an Ebonite Big Time, advanced to the title match with a 215-183 win over Duke. Duke had two splits and opened twice in the first four frames, giving Collins the early lead. Collins alternated spare-strike in the first five frames, but a key double in the 6th and 7th frames put the pressure on Duke. The 22-time Tour titlist could never string more than two strikes together and Collins struck with his first ball in 10th to win.

Williams advanced to the title match with a 247-207 win over Steve Jaros. After taking an early 10-pin lead through six frames, Williams struck four straight times in frames 7-10 to clinch his fist spot in a title match since Nov. 2004.

Collins (Fayetteville, N.C.) earned $40,000 and an exemption for the 2006-07 season. Williams (Ocala, Fla.) took home $20,000 for 2nd, while Duke (Clermont, Fla.) and Jaros (Yorkville, Ill.) earned $10,000 apiece for the 3rd
and 4th place finishes, respectively.

The Denny’s PBA Tour takes a week off before heading to Taylor, Mich., for the 2006 Ace Hardware Championship, March 15-19 at Taylor Lanes. The live ESPN finals take place Sunday, March 19 at 12:30 p.m. EST, with the winner taking home the $40,000 top prize and an exemption for the 2006-07 Tour season.

Info : www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes: (Dam it i was going for Walter)

Back
Top Bottom