2006 Ace Hardware Championship Results

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Seventh Time's the Charm
TAYLOR, Mich. - March 19, 2006

If Norm Duke has learned anything in his 24 years on the Denny’s PBA Tour, it’s how to deal with setbacks.

In his seventh TV appearance of the season, Duke finally broke through with his first title of the season and the 23rd of his career, defeating Chris Loschetter, 275-221, in the title match of the 2006 Ace Hardware Championship at Taylor Lanes.

Duke had four 2nd-place finishes in seven TV appearances coming into this week since his last title in Feb. 2005.

“I don’t want to say it’s been a struggle, but it’s definitely been a journey,” said Duke (Clermont, Fla.). “I hate getting stuck on those numbers. I’ve got this one and now I’m on to bigger numbers.”

Duke started the title match with four straight strikes
before a spare in the 5th frame. Loschetter tried to make a run at Duke with four straight strikes in frames 5-8, but a spare in the 9th frame gave Duke some breathing room. Duke closed out Loschetter by striking on his next six shots. With the win, Duke also took over the top spot in the 2005-06 PBA World Point Rankings.

Duke advanced to the title match with a 205-198 win over Walter Ray Williams Jr., who was making his sixth attempt at tying Earl Anthony’s all-time Tour titles record. Williams fell behind early when he left the 4-6-7-10 split and opened in the 3rd frame, and Duke responded with three straight strikes in frames 5-7.

Duke, however, left a 7-10 split in the 9th frame and opened, giving Williams a chance to strike out from the 9th frame on to force Duke to double in the 10th. Williams struck in the 9th and with his first ball in the 10th, but finished with a nine-spare. Duke’s spare to start the 10th frame sealed his fourth berth in a title match this season.

Loschetter advanced to the title match with a 236-201 win over Mike Scroggins. Scroggins took the lead with four straight strikes in frames 5-8, but he opened after a 3-7 split in the 9th frame. Loschetter, who had doubled in the 8th and 9th, struck with his first ball in the 10th to advance to his second career title match.

Duke earned $40,000 and an exemption for the 2006-07 season. Loschetter took home $20,000 for 2nd, while Williams and Scroggins earned $10,000 apiece for the 3rd and 4th place finishes, respectively.

The Denny’s PBA Tour heads to Indianapolis, Ind., for the third of four Majors on the Tour schedule, the 2006 Denny’s World Championship March 20-26 at Woodland Bowl. The live ESPN finals take place Sunday, March 26 at 2 p.m. EST, with the winner taking home the $100,000 top prize and a four-season Tour exemption.

Info: www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom