2006 GEICO Classic Results

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
New York, New York
CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. - February 26, 2006

New York native Doug Kent captured his second career Denny’s PBA Tour title in his home state, as he defeated Norm Duke, 222-201, in the title match of the 2006 GEICO Classic at AMF Thruway Lanes.

Kent, from nearby Newark, N.Y., won his 7th career Tour title and his first since the 2002 Empire State Classic in Latham, N.Y.

“It’s been a long year and a half for me,” said Kent, who earned $40,000 and an exemption for the 2006-07 Tour season. “I feel like I’ve been bowling well but just haven’t been winning matches. It’s the best feeling to do it in front of my friends and family.”

After starting the title match with spares in the three of the first four frames, Kent strung together four straight strikes while Duke opened in the 2nd and 7th frames.

Duke needed to strike out in the 10th to force Kent to get eight on his first ball of the 10th, but the 22-time titlist struck and spared to give Kent the win.

Kent advanced to the title match with a 227-213 win over his brother-in-law, PBA Hall of Famer Parker Bohn III. After three consecutive strikes in frames 7-9, Kent only needed a mark and eight pins in the 10th frame to shut out Bohn. A spare and a strike gave him his first berth in a title match since 2004. Bohn fell to 0-4 on television this season.

In the second semifinal, both Duke and Edwards started the match with six straight strikes. Duke took a one-pin lead in the 7th frame as Edwards had an eight-spare and Duke had a nine-spare. Duke then struck on his next five shots, locking out Edwards by striking out in the 10th frame to win the match, 279-265.

Duke earned $20,000 for 2nd, his third runner-up finish of the season. Edwards (Tulsa, Okla.) and Bohn (Jackson, N.J.) took home $10,000 apiece for the 3rd and 4th place finishes, respectively.

The Denny’s PBA Tour heads to Fairlawn, Ohio, for the 2006 Pepsi Championship, March 1-5 at AMF Riviera Lanes. The live ESPN finals take place Sunday, March 5 at 12:30 p.m. EST, with the winner taking home the $40,000 top prize and an exemption for the 2006-07 Tour season.

Notes
Kent used a Hammer Road Hog in the first match and a Hammer Vibe in the second match.

Back
Top Bottom