2002 Australian FIQ Selection Trials.

After just returning from the SA Cup I have a couple of questions re the idea of this selection process

Firstly I would say not knowing to much about the Kegel machine and with an explanation from George I now see the advantages of using this machine but that being said.

1. If this is the best machine and the one used world wide for all FIQ patterns why dont we bowl on this all the time at every major event. I was under the understanding that all events needed to meet FIQ standard to be rated and surely the Kegel IS the FIQ standard

2. Please correct me if I've been mis informed that a Rep from Kegel will be setting the pattern. WHY? The machine is a computer which can be programmed from anywhere so why the expense of paying an overseas person? We can control a machine on Mars from earth but we cant control an oiling machine without someone standing over it?

3. Again tell me if this is wrong but I was told that each day at the AO the pattern will be different and if this is to be the case I would again ask why? What will be the pattern for mathplay and who would decide that? I understand that you have to be able to adjust etc, but you'll get your most consistent bowlers and not the ones that perform best on the pattern set at that FIQ. FIQ is a showpeace of the best and the best in any sport always get the opportunity to play on a surface to perpare for the main event. Surely each FIQ should be announced and at the same to the lane surface, oil, machine and pattern can be released allowing every country the opportunity to prepare their best talent ON THAT PATTERN for this showpeace event? All FIQ's I played were played on the same pattern from the start to the end of the event and unless this has changed, why is the need for Australia to play on different patterns

and finally 4. I have not seen on the advance entry form or on this post that it has been announced about the different pattern for each day? If this is the case shouldn't it be widely publicised allowing people who choose not to partake in the rolloff the opportunity to decide whether they wish to bowl on a different pattern each day or save their money and wait till they can go and bowl with the chance to practice on the tournament condition beforehand?

Oh and one more. What is the benefit to AMF given that there is no point in practising leading up to the event as no advantage can be gained if the pattern isnt put down till the day so no money from people the day before and will there be a spinner per bowler in each squad so equipment can be prepared in that 15 mins oh and will each group of 6 players be given a coach and manager who can handle the ball preperation while the bowlers continue to practice as these are all things available at FIQ except the spinners nad lastly will all balls be checked for legality as with FIQ prior to the commencement of the event? Surely if you want to replicate FIQ as best you can these all have to followed.

Sorry I just thought of 2 more questions I would like to know in this era of transparancy and accountability.

Who determined this was the best mechanism for deciding half of the national team?

and was there ANY bowler consultation asked for in this process, and if so, who, how and when?

Frawls,
I would like to congratulate you and the TBA
for giving any bowler capable of making an Australian team a realistic opportunity via either the Aust.Open or Adelaide Womans Cup.
Not being a bowler of the standard required to make an Aussie team I am now faced with a
dilema. I love bowling tournaments and the challenges they create. However I have no real desire to bowl on changing FIQ conditions. I realise the TBA has to do something to make National selection as fair
as possible but in doing so they have taken away yet another of our long standing tournaments.
I bowled S.A. Cup last weekend and thought I
had walked into another centre. What ever happened to the days of the "house" bowlers
being given that slight advantage in mixing it with the best.
I suppose all I am really trying to point out
here is that while I believe the TBA is heading in the right direction, please dont
take the fun out of too many tournaments for
those of us who bowl purely for the enjoyment.
We pay the same entry fees and without us
guys the tournament numbers will crash to
a level that simply wont sustain the current
level of prizemoney. Forcing us to go out and buy new equipment to bowl on once only
conditions is not what I call fun. (Can anyone name a centre that puts down FIQ conditions for their league bowlers?).
Sure we can all stay home at Easter and go fishing but is that what this sport needs right now.
As a suggestion for future years I think all
those women and men who nominate for the NTS (and are eligible) should be invited to
participate in a stand alone tournament. I am sure most states would love the opportunity to host such an event and it could be rotated between states. Given the right publicity it may even attract major sponsors and even tv coverage. That way we may just get this sport back where it belongs.
Perhaps it could be held in conjunction with our Adult Nationals even if it meant changing
a few dates around.
Just a few ideas I hope you find helpful. And
yes I will be bowling at the Aust Open if only to support my fellow Sth Aussies. Not to
sure about purchasing that new ball though.
Regards Greg.

Hello from las Vegas,

CB the vicious bowler rumour mill has even got to you, there ain't been no desicion about lane conditions for the AO. Period.
Even I think 3 different conditions are a little far fetched, so expect one I reckon.

My machine will be doing the lanes(there is only 6 Kegel machines in Australia) and if you think that my tech is going to set the lanes with this event being so important AND ME BOWLING...Come on I had enough sh#t after Canberra.

Settle down the Sports Commission are well informed of the intended roll off and are SUPPORTING it, they are paying for total independence.. THEY ARE PAYING FOR THE GUY TO COME HERE.

As I have set out before:
1. the sport commission wants all sports that can conduct trials for representation to do so. Simple.

2. Bowlers have been asked about this: a vote was taken by the last FIQ team and all bowlers DID NOT want top have a separate rolloff of the training squad members. Don't blame them, it costs enough already to be in the Aussie team.

3. To get around all obstacles(Sports comm and training squad vote) having a rolloff in conjunction with the biggest event was seen as the best.

I just hope everyone settles down about the condition.... the 24 game all event ave at the 1999 FIQ world Champs was 226.
STEP UP TO THE PLATE (I'm in the states sorry) GIVE IT A GO. Instead of having 8 board to hit you may only have 3.

Finally, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, the TBA board are doing it's best in giving opportunites to ALL BOWLERS....the old 'ATBC mates with the coach days your in the team" are over.

Yes I am involved in the setup of making the National team. I believe that there are bowlers out there who maybe are suited to the 6 gme FIQ format, and some of those bowlers for whatever reason would not have made the National team using selection.
12 years ago the National coach Gary Gilmore selected a complete unknown.....this bowler had NEVER MADE A CUT AT A MAJOR!!! But I guess he saw some hope. I am proud to say that I have won 6 gold medals at asian zone and a silver at World, including being a part the only team gold medal in the mens for a long time. Nothing like wearing the green and gold and bowling as a team... and winning.

If you don't like what the board is doing (including me) any bowler can nominate for a board position at the upcoming AGM. 2 bowlers representatives will be voted in. GET that nomination in now, I will notify the office to be on standby for tons of extra mail.

AF

AF

and CB as far as your last paragraph goes in your initial post, I suggest take a 60 cent scotchbrite pad and use just in case you are not getting the reaction you are looking for.( Did you really need me to tell you that??) As for the rest of the crap I'll take it as the usual CB sarcasm and throw it where it's best.
AF

Andrew,

I'm sorry if you feel you shouldn't have to answer questions to members of the association but as a paying member and one who is likely to bowl in the tournament I feel I have a right to seek answers.

The questions I asked were all asked in SA and rather than make up answers or make assumptions without facts I (maybe stupidly) believed it would be better to go to the horses mouth (So to speak) and find out facts rather than rumours.

The reason I believe what was said was simple. George told me about the 3 patterns and said he had spoken to you re this. I then spoke to Tony who also said that you were considering this but when you both last spoke no decision made though you were tending toward one pattern. Now by you whether Tony meant AMF and you or whatever I dont know and dont really care.

My only issues were IF the pattern was to be changed each day then I believe the correct thing to do is publicise this well in advance so people NOT trying for FIQ and just going for the event can decide whether to go given airfares need to be booked promptly.

If the pattern is to stay the same for the event then well and good but again I would think people would want to know and not just the day before they go in to practise and discover they will be different for the event.

As for the KEGEL, as I have said I have learned a lot and can certainly see the benefits of using this machine. I would expect yours to be used as I would assume it would be the most convenient. If the sports commission or KEGEL are paying for someone to be here then great, but if not and (I dont know) and money is an issue which it always is then as you said there are 5 other Kegel machines which surely the TBA could impose upon their Techs if it was fealt that your tech was inapporpriate.

And no you neednt tell to to sand a ball but there are many others who I'm sure would love that sort of information.

Unfortunately not all bowlers have your ability or knowledge and giving then facts re different patterns or when oiling will be done may be of immense benefit.

Thankyou for explaining that bowler consultation was sought as as I posted I didnt know and am pleased to find that the bowlers are being asked their opionions which appear then to be implemented.

Yes the last bit of the post re manager and coach may have been a bit of crap but maybe you should learn not to be so touchy. As I have stated these were ALL questions asked in SA for which I did not have answers. Now if your not the right person to ask for these answers or if you feel its not your place to answer these questions then point me in the right direction.

You are obvoiusly very good at reading between lines as I didn't see anywhere in my post that I bagged the TBA in any way. I was asking question to know the facts so then I could make an informed decision but by what you've wriiten that's not the right thing to do.

I guess I just felt being a paying member and a tournament bowler that I had a right to know what I should expect but you've now put me in my place.

Carl,
points taken and I apologise if I seemed a little touchy, I am under plenty of pressure here just to get my money back let alone make some, so my apparent mild manners this event is becasue I picked up US$800 today which helps immensely.

Just ask me what you need to know, you don't need to cover it it what I called 'crap', I know some of it was 'carl speak". Man, I am just a bowler who got thrown into this when I found out the ATBC was going under. Mate, I don't need it, Sue doesn't need it and my business has been severely hurt by my time taken up being a director. I'm not looking for sympathy just a tad of understanding. Last year I was going to lose my house for What?? a bowlers organisation where the bowlers never seem to be happy. Thankfully both the propietors and bowlers have seen the TBA through financial distress with their support.

To top it off and to be blantanly honest, I got pissed off the most because You asked those questions and you have never shown interest in being in the team for 10 years. Being one of the best bowlers our country ever produced, and still a magor factor in every tourney you play, I only hope for the sake of our sport is you pull on the green and gold this year. Our sport funding is based on results and everyone knows that you can play on anything. You have your reasons and you don't need to tell the world, I'm just explaining why you 'got to me', I'm over it, sorry again for being so touchy every now and then I let off some steam.

These roll offs mens, ladies and youth have a message built into the format, the TBA is here to give all bowlers more opportunities and pathways. National training squad bowlers actually have 2 chances of making the teams by both rolling off (which they would of had to do anyway) and selection.

All elite bowlers who enter National ranked events deserve but should know what a 'real' lane condition is. I know people are going to say they never get to play on anything but a house condition but that is just the point. These rolloffs find those bowlers who can adjust to something they are not used to....isn't that the biggest problem our Nat team members face when playing overseas. 1500 bowlers played the high roller this week and maybe 10 of them have ever played outside the US. Their league conditions are all house shots, but the better players adjust, the guys who want to be better watch how they are doing it, and the ones who bitch and moan watch as well...from the grandstand. Overall more bowlers become better, our problem is that we never have a standard to work from, well the AO, Ladies Adel cup, and the Vic Goldpin Youth Challenge is hopefully the start of a new era in Aust bowling, we have to start somewhere as we a rapidly being left behind.

I applaude any centre who is attempting to lay oil from edgeboard to edgeboard and ask bowlers to support them. You will become a better player and have a greater appreciation for those who have practiced to gain greater skills. A national sporting organisation is supposed to do these things, create pathways and help bowlers become better. We already have plans for seminars to assist bowlers in ball selection, surface adjustments etc.

If any bowler needs any information re rolloffs, has a point to make or any other problem related to TBA you can email me at [email protected] ,
and I will do my best.

Once any information is finalised re all rolloff lane conditions I will post it on the forum.

Sorry for the long post.
AF

Carl,
I had to jump in here and post some very important reasons why having someone from Kegel come down and set the pattern is a great idea. True, most knowlegable techs should be able to follow instruction and programme the Kegel machine. But only an experienced lane man would be able to measure and chart the centre's variables such as lane topography and the humidity levels inside AMF Highpoint Bowl to come up with a fair and equitable oiling pattern which will reward good shot-making and punish poor execution.
The oil pattern alone can and will result in completely different ball reactions according to minute differences in the above variables just to name a couple.

I welcome all comments and opinions.

Wayne

Enough said, To both of you I thank you and To Wayne I can appreciate what you say and I guess that makes perfect sense. I'm the first to admit I don't know much about oils, patterns etc which maybe helps me as I dont get worried about the variables.

Andrew, first congrats on the results and the money which we all know is very important. The reality is I wasn't worried about the pattern from an FIQ point of view I was worried from a tournament bowler persepective.

I'm confident if the lanes meet FIQ standard (which they will) that the results will be good. Whether they be easy or hard as long as their fair (again I'm sure they will) I just thought it was unfair to ask people to paly on 3 patterns which appears not to be the case for which I am thankful.

As you say set a fair pattern that rewards good shots and the condition wouldn't need to be changed.

One question I would have when all has been finalised is, will your machine and the Kegel gentleman be available for the mathcplay day.

I would anticipate they both would to promote consistancy but is this in yours and TBA's hands or once the FIQ rolloff is complete does it revert to AMF and their decision?

Thankyou for your answers and the fact that you will post the information once available, I think it will help all bowlers to make accurate decisions and stop rumours which are always prominent in our game to be dispelled!

Back
Top Bottom