1st reactive ball

turbotimmy

Hi all

Have just started regularly bowling and think I should move to the next level and get my own ball. Where do I start and what sort of dollars would I be looking to spend. I should also add have just purchased shoes!

Sorry for the noon questions and I did try the search function but couldn't find what I think I am looking for.

Cheers

Timmy

Welcome to the forum Tim.

As a newbie there is lots of info out there. Most of which will confuse the hell out of you and leave you with so many choices that you won't know what to do.

You haven't mentioned where you are from and your profile doesn't give me any help there either but I presume considering you bought some shoes you are relatively serious about getting better and are probably already in a league?

If this is the case then I suggest you talk to people in your centre about who does ball work and coaching in your centre as they would be the best to talk to and will be able to guide you in your first ball choice. There are many ball types and they aren't all the same. Some suit big hookers and others suit straighter bowlers and it's important to get the right ball that suits your style. You also don't want to waste $350 on a brand new ball when someone can help you get 2 balls for the same price by purchasing balls that aren't just released. There are mid range balls that will suit you and you can then save money and use it to get a wider range to suit different conditions ie as the oil pattern breaks down you may want something a little less aggressive.

Anyway ask around at your local centre on who you can talk to and make sure you are comfortable with your choice. Don't rush into anything and do some reading on what your are finding to see what each ball does and how it suits you.

On top of what roysa said it's cheap enough to experiment with 2nd hand balls to start out. Can always resurface to suit conditions.

Spot on benny.... Nothing wrong with first or second drill gear that others are looking to give away. Much better to punch some holes in a ball that didn't cost you 400 including drilling.

Another thing... If you aren't comfortable with the weight then drop back... (you gave no indication of your age). If you are still learning then starting with say 14s isn't the worst thing you can do (starting with 16s probably is)

Cheers Roysa

Am in brissy, I have not joined a league as yet due to 2 reasons -

1. Am worried I don't bowl well enough yet!

2. Due to work commitments I am away just about every week. However have just been told about an alias league at the local alley that may suit my circumstances.

I thought shoes were a good first option as then I don't have to hire them as well as them not having someone else's manky feet in them.

Also am finding it hard to talk to experienced people there due to the times I am able to bowl.

Am pushing the end of 30's so prolly a late starter. Was told by the local tech 2nd hand was the way to go but to be wary of balls that have been left in cars. The good thing about my job is I am getting to try alot of different places and will be rolling in Townsville tomorrow!

Ok.... Well I'm in Sydney but it won't be long before a QLDr jumps on this thread to help you out.

To help them help you... What centre do you go to now?

In regards to not being good enough.... No such thing mate. Leagues are for fun and learning. You don't have to win. Just enjoy it and use your league games to practise and improve your avg.

Well not bad advise from the tech regarding leaving your gear in the car. You can usually tell which balls he is referring to due to the rather large crack coming from around any previous plugging. :)

Am currently bowling at aspley. Also you mentioned earlier some balls suit big hookers, am I silly in thinking I don't know that yet as it is my understanding that house balls won't hook?

My current ave. is 138.

Yeah a house ball won't hook. Apart from being covered in oil they are made from plastic and don't hook much compared to today's technology of reactive resin balls.

Someone from qld will get in here soon and help you out no doubt.

I'd say Join a League, your local bowling centre will find a team for you, then if your away you can pre or post bowl for your league and if your after a reactive ball start with something like a Columbia 300 Freeze probably around $200 mark, Brunswick Strike King OREbonite Cyclone ect. all Entry level reactive bowling balls to how develop and control a consistent hook

I'm sure the team at Aspley can help you out. As you're near Aspley then go talk to the ProShop team at either Chermside or Kedron, both centres have good ProShop teams. Getting multiple opinions might help you out also. As GraftonGaz said an entry reactive level ball will give you a good introduction.

You don't need to be good to join a league, just join one and have some fun, if you find you want to get your own ball then a good proshop operator will point you in the right direction to something that suits your needs. Research at this stage may completely confuse you, talking to someone will provide a clearer picture what type of ball and models that will suit you. I'd recommend a team league so that you build up a relationship with other bowlers rather than just bowling by yourself, you'll find it more fun in the beginning.

Take a drive up to Animal's Proshop at Caboolture Bowl. He has the best and only full time Proshop in the area. He will be the best place for you to go.

Back
Top Bottom