Youth Team Challenge 2003

Just curious, after reading the selection process for this event, it was my understanding that....you have to rolloff and the top 4 are selected male/female and or top 3 and select 1, my reason for posting this topic is that i have heard that 2 states have selected there side with out a rolloff?? if this true, im pretty sure that, it wasnt done with in the rules for this event. if some one can help with my question please post.

Mark Foster

South Australia's Youth Rachuig Team

Hi all... :lol:

Just thought I'd add my bit to this as I do, since apparently someone seems to think I have more balls than all the men in SA!! Anyway here goes...

Our Team was selected over a tournament held last weekend..... Under 23 Youth Classic out at Elizabeth. They didn't have a Rolloff nor was it the Top 4 South Australian bowlers that made the team. The 'selectors' chose their 8 bowlers obviously out of a hat!! But I know that they SELECTED those 8 bowlers that bowled in that tournament. I have been told that THIS years Team and THIS YEARS Team ONLY would be selected during this tournament due to the lateness of it's organisation. BUT future Teams would definately be having Roll-offs!! I honestly believe that 4 months IS NOT long enough to get the important things done that need to be organised!! I.E - ACCOMODATION for starters.. Can you get accom that time of year anywhere in Sydney?!?!? Why have the Youth Rachuig in 2003, with such short notice why not postpone it 12 months?? i guess if everyone has a spare $1000 hanging around then why not have it in January. But those that are also bowling Rachuig and Youth Rachuig are going to find it a bit difficult to do both unless they do some miracle fundraising or find it elsewhere.. I don't know that our Rachuig Team has even done any worthwhile findraising for this years tournament??? And it's only how far away??!?!?!? But how would I know, it's not like I'm bowling in it...

Back to the Youth Rachuig though.... I'm not sure that I totally agree with our Team. Not sure if I should be posting it, but everyone knows now...

GIRLS - Leisa Lumsden
Michelle Cottrell
Kim Smith
Clair Johnston

BOYS - Jason Mooney
Michael Chugg
Scott Smith
Ben Johnson

I don't agree with the Boys Team coz I honestly believe that the 'selectors' have overlooked someone that has great Team spirit and would have been a real asset to the Team... But due to his involvement in something that happened during Under 23 Youth Classic it was held against him and he was not one of the chosen few. I think that really sucks! Who were these 'selectors'? And why not give ALL the people that missed out a VALID reason for not being selected!!!! I know that TBA (SA Division) are not permitted to reply on here, but make it known that it's not fair what has happened.. Everyone has the right to know why they weren't selected. Regardless of who they are, or what has happened in the past. Aren't these things meant to be for the betterment of our sport????? Put the best Team in hey.. Yeah rightio!!! Well, guess I have had my say, so I better be off.

To the betterment of Tenpin Bowling... Not just here in SA, but Australia wide!!

Yours in bowling
Martina

P.S - Mark, where are the Rules for the Youth Rachuig??? Are there really Rules?...... :shock:

ms - Youth Challenge Rules and Regulations have been available for download from the TBA web site for quite sometime now. Check them out at www.tenpin.org.au and go to the Rules and Regs link.

FYI, the roll off for the Victoria team is to be part of the Under 23 Melbourne Tenpin Cup. Top 4 eligible Victorian male and female bowlers will be invited to form the team. Should one of these bowlers not accept the offer then we'll go to the next eligible bowler.

You should read the eligibility requirements for the "Youth Rachuig" teams as not all youth bowlers are eligible.

The suggested selection process is included in these rules.

First thing first, rule 8 of the National Youth Team Challenge states:
"Each State/Territory/Zone committee will assist as much as possible to finance and equip their respective contingents, and assist with the payment of transport and accommodation costs for the purpose of contesting the National Youth Challenge."
My understanding of this is that the zones don't have to book travel or accommodation for the team (although if asked by Northern bowlers I will do that) they only need to assist their bowlers financially - possibly with fund raising. We are talking about adults here not juniors and they may have their own transport and accommodation not to mention partners they may wish to stay with.

I agree with Marty, this tourney should have been delayed.

I know here in Tassie we are going to have problems making up the required numbers and am sure we aren't alone. 6 out of our 7 women in Rachuig are eligible for this Challenge, but seeing it is held only 3 months after Rachuig, I can't see many of us having the dollars or the holidays from work to be able to fly off for another week to represent our State. If this tourney had have been delayed, our best bowlers would have known about the chance they could be representing the State again and would have time to save and prepare.

Before anyone screams at me about the draft, yes I realise teams are able to draft two bowlers... but my point here is I believe as a State we could have sent away a very strong team of our own bowlers, but now won't have the chance thanks to the timing and delayed notice of this tournament.

FYI, the concept for this tournament was hatched in November 2001 and ratified by the TBAL board shortly thereafter.

The trials for this event , and the event itself, have been on our state calendar since late last year. All states, territories and regions are in the same position.

FYI, originally this event was scheduled for December 2002 and then deferred to give states, territories and regions more time to select their teams. It was also deferred so as to coincide with a Youth Ranked Tournament normally conducted at the same time every year in Sydney.

To me, this makes sense as many wanting to bowl both events would only need to meet one set of travel costs.

Well i think it would help if bowlers were informed cause i didnt really know anything about it until shield this year? Maybe thats my fault im not sure but it certainly wasnt well publicised down here in tassie

The first time most people became aware of this was the 5th of August this year when Kimberley Kosztan posted details on this site. It doesn't matter when you hatched it you certainly kept it to yourselves. Qld didn't know about it before then. How about you stop trying to put a spin on the matter and include us in your communications.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

Andrew - I haven't spun this post around to make any of your guys feel guilty. The fact IS that this tournament has been on the agenda for quite a while.

How often do you check out the TBA web site at www.tenpin.org.au?

I've inherited the webmaster role recently at this site, with Chris Batson heading overseas, and I can tell you that barely a day goes by when new information, entries, results, photos and /or announcements, etc. are not uploaded.

I originally posted on this topic because some one hadn't seen the rules for the Youth Challenge. The fact IS that they have been on the TBA web site for quite some time and the person concerned had missed them.

I also plan to post here more regularly when new items are uploaded to the TBA web site.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Pedro - I am the Secretary of the Tasmanian Association. I can assure you we were not notified of this tournament going ahead anywhere near the time periods you are suggesting, and surely TBA should have at least ensured State Associations were aware of it? I would take a guess we first heard of it three months ago. Plus, when we were first informed of it, it was that there was going to be a State team for Youth ages. No details, format, and only rough dates. I can't see how that is adequate notification.

In reply to another point you made, yes this tourney has replaced what was once AIYC and then changed to Sydney Youth Masters. BUT that tournament was based over a weekend... the Youth Challenge is over an entire week!! I don't see how you can compare the two.

Thanks Kimi, yes drafting is possible according to the rules for this tourney. Don't get me wrong, I am all for drafting in Shield and Rachuig when you still have majority of bowlers from your own State. But sending away a team that has half it's bowlers from other States? I must say I can't see the point... :?

The concept meeting for this tournament was in November 2001.

A representative from each state was in that meeting.

You all seem to be focusing on a what you think are negatives and not looking at the big picture. This tournament is full of positives. How about focusing on these?

1. The main reason this tournament was put in place was to bridge the gap between President Shield and Rachuig.
2. Many youth leave the sport once they get out of Juniors. This event is aimed at giving them something else to aspire to and keep them in the sport.
3. It gives the youth bowlers in the 18-23 age bracket some familiarity with the FIQ format.
4. This years Youth Teams Roll Off was the only other event of a similar format. We need more.

Back to Mark's original post, could some please let us know how the Central team was decided as apparently it has been but no word of a roll off for that when the rules clearly state it is necessary to hold a roll off.

For this year's WA side, as far as i am aware, if you wish to bowl, then you send in a resume of sorts to the committee, with your bowling details and achievements on it. They then select 4 girls and 4 guys for the team. As far as i know, it was up to the state mangers (i think) to choose the format in which they found most appropriate for this year. I would say as of next year, every team would be rolling off. If any of this is wrong, im sure someone will tell me.

Are you serious!!!!!!

This little post is for our wonderful little kimi. :twisted:

I'm guessing that just because your dad was involved in TBAL, you think you know every god damn thing to do with bowling in this country. Well sweetheart, YOU ARE WRONG!!!

For starters, I am NOT going to tell you who I think should be in the Team. Why humiliate the person/people that missed out any more than they already have been humiliated!!! You have NO IDEA what the hell is going on here, so how bout you keep your opinions to yourself and get your FACTS right!! Well, instead of keeping you in suspense I might aswell tell you why I'm not in the Team hey..... But you seem to know everything maybe I should LET YOU TELL ME!!! But then everyone won't get to laugh at you when I say that I AM TOO OLD !!! I told you that up at Caboolture at the end of June.. Feeling a tad, I don't know.... Silly.....

As for your explantion regarding why the tournament is so soon all I can say is you must be kidding.. Like you can even make that an example. You can't compare your shield trials to this what so eva!! Here in South Australia we only found out about this Youth Team after the 2002 Junior Nationals because it was discussed there and finalised that yes it would be happening in January 2003... Is that not correct miss kimi???? So therefore this leaves us August, September, October, November and part of December to organise getting the Team together, fundraising, ETC...ETC!!! Am i making sense to you?? As for the comparison to shield, you as a bowler know that your roll-offs are coming up and you might make your shield team (Yes, your team, not NT!!) and know that the expenses are going to be what they even before you make the team!! Please correct me if I am wrong, but this Youth Challenge Team has only just come about.... As opposed to Shield..... It's been around for YEARS!!! You always know it's coming up!!! At the same time of year... Not just that factor, but why have your roll-offs so late in the year, I think most Teams these days have there roll-offs over and done with by the end of January.. Guess thats just your associations fault hey....

So, kimi, I am too old for this Youth Rachuig, I only wish I was young enough to bowl.. I would have loooved to have given it ago playing you!! Sorry you weren't here for the Under 23 Classic... Not that I bowled of course.. Being too old and all!!! :roll:

I hope that I have answered all your questions kimi, and this wasn't a personal attack at you incase you think it is.. I was just replying to your questions like you asked!!

Yours in bowling, hope to see you round
Martina

the format for the WA side was chosen as being straight out selection from the bowlers that nominate and the reason for there being no rolloff held (as i was told last night) was that there is not enough room in the WA tournament calendar to organise a rolloff. however next year, more than likely, a tournament would be created (whether it be a rolloff or a normal tournament is something i don't think has been decided)

and the WA nomination forms are supposed to be out this week

later.

After Reading TBA's rules and regs on this tournament, it states that a rolloff is nessacary, weather top 4 or top 3 (select 1)........someone correct me if im wrong??

bboy you are right it does state that a roll-off must be conducted. I just wish people would quit griping about it and get it done. Some people dont realise the great opportunity this has created for those aged 18-23, we have bowlers in Northern that have been waiting for this a long time and a lot more that are too old now that would have jumped at the opportunity to bowl in a tournament like this. Too many bowlers left bowling once out of Juniors simply because there was not this bridging between Juniors and Adults. I say great work TBAL for finally realising that this was needed.

Back
Top Bottom