When is a Rep Team really a Rep Team?

Johnny G

BOWL-A-HOLIC
At the end of 2006 my local Association called for nominations from bowlers wishing to be considered for the 2007 Zone Championships Intercity Challenge. This event was to be held as part of the 2007 Zone Championships, which this year was to be hosted by a centre some considerable distance north of ours. A Scratch Male, Scratch Female, Hcp Male and Hcp Female Team was required.
After nominations, a roll-off was held followed by a meeting of an appointed Selection Committee who then selected teams according to the criteria on the nomination and roll-off forms.
The proposed list of team names were given and accepted by the Association. Whilst on our Xmas break the Association sent letters to the successful players. This letter reads as follows:
""Congratulations! You have been included in the 2007 (Nominated Venue) NQ Team, (***** Male Scratch).
Due to unforeseen circumstances NQ 2007 may NOT be held in 'nominated venue'. The ***** Adult Committee will be informed of a decision by Sunday evening of the 14th January 2007.
On behalf of the ***** Adult Committee
(Secretary's signature)
Secretary **** Inc.""
At the commencement of our first night of League after the Xmas break (23rd January) a member of the Association made an announcement to the whole League that the original Host Centre had declined from holding the event. The new Centre to host it is to be our Centre. He continued to say that nominations for a new roll-off to select Teams was to take place. I asked how this could be as Teams had already been selected and notified in writing. He proceeded to tell me that the Teams had been dissolved because of the change in venue and new Teams are required.
As I am one of the original Team members I was both disappointed and outraged at what had just taken place.
I have two questions that maybe someone can help out with:
1. Will this set a precedent allowing Associations to throw out any Rep Team they don't like with the weakest excuse?
2. Can they legally do it due to the fact that we have letters signed by the Secretary stating we are in the Team?
Where the event is being held, to me, seems irrelevant.

1. Will this set a precedent allowing Associations to throw out any Rep Team they don't like with the weakest excuse?
There's another side to consider there, sometimes changing the venue is all the difference on wether or not people want to participate. Potentially there are people in the team who want a legitimate out.
2. Can they legally do it due to the fact that we have letters signed by the Secretary stating we are in the Team?
Where the event is being held, to me, seems irrelevant.
I would think so. I think the change in venue is very relevant to a tournament, and potentially to who I'd send as a representative.

Is it still the same tournament with the same accreditation? Did the tournament rules include the center, thereby making the tournament null by changing the venue.

I understand it's irritating from your point of view. I'd be annoyed myself. But if you're good enough, make the next roll off. Don't take that with the bluntness it reads with, but that's... well... life...

I think you have every right to be pissed.

I agree with you, where the event is being held, to me, seems irrelevant.

Are they going to re-run State trials 3 months down the track because the bowling centre the Nationals were going to be at burnt down 2 months before the Nationals & they had to find an alternate centre.

I dont think so.

Or are they going to re-select a National Team because of a change of venue for similar reasons.

I dont think so.

Johnny G said:

I would ring TBA head office and put the above question to them if your worried about it.

Thats crap...I would be pissed and not to mention...do you have to pay to roll off again???

Surely you want your centre to field the best possible team for the event. I gather not everyone was available to travel 13-odd hours to the original venue in Mt Isa but since the venue has been changed to your centre, many more people would want to nominate for their respective team. If you are good enough, which i think you are, there shouldn't be a problem making the new team. I wouldn't want to pay for the new rolloff though.

Dinesh

There is also the issue of respecting those who were originally prepared to make the journey. Whether it's the centre's "best" team or not, it is simply rude and thoughtless to arbitrarily scrub that team and ask players to roll off again.

The whole thing is a joke.
The people who made the teams were prepared to travel the long distance to Mt Isa and lets face it, the trip and bowling there for a few days means nearly a week off work and for us (four of us) lots of dollars out of pocket...but we were prepared to do that.
Also it seems to be the same people ( who like others, have work and family commitments) rolling off for the 'away' tournaments and the others just sit back and wait for our turn to host the event before they roll off. Not fair! The team was chosen. We all have letters stating we made the rep team.
As we had to roll off in a five man league (the only one being on a Tuesday night) I had to give up my Tuesday night work to qualify for this event. Others put themselves out too.
Whether the team picked was the 'best' team or not (actually it's a bloody good team) is hardly the issue.
And yes Johnny G, you and I are good enough to make it through the next roll off but it is still not fair that a few people can take it upon themselves to make this kind of decision without consulting any of us.
Louise

Just to clarify - has the association called for new rolloffs to fill vacant positions on the team, or has the whole team been canned and started anew? The situation here is the former - we have called for applications to fill the team, but anyone who had nominated for Mount Isa is guaranteed to be in the team.

The whole team has been canned. No team members pulled out and no team members breached any rules or conditions to be kicked out. The Association was aware of the possibility of a change of venue prior to sending letters notifying team members and there was no mention of a new roll-off if the venue changed. This indicates that they had accepted the teams regardless of where the venue was to take place.

Good on you Johnny G & Louise!!!!!!!............Being a member of the original team, may I suggest a meeting between the originally selected team and the Adult Committee to discuss the issues which abound .........this could be held with a mediator if warranted...............we need to know why those who were willing to travel & support their bowling centre and our bowling fraternity,are now at risk because "they are not the best team". I believe that "fostering good sportsmanship" is the key phrase here...................not rorting the system.......
Dee

Back
Top Bottom