Wrist guards

Wrist guards

• Use

Votes: 59 44.7%
  • Dont use

Votes: 73 55.3%

• Total voters
I suffer from low muscle tone, so i need the wrist support, because i dont wanna damage my wrist, i only use 12 lbs balls because thats all i can carry

I personally use one, for good or bad im not quite sure, think with and without there is advantages, kind of depends on the bowler

to say that though, arguably the best bowler in Australia does use a wrist guard
cheers

I can bowl with or without one. I find i get a lot more revs with one on but without one i'm a lot more accurate. The more advanced wrist guardss thought like the ones that go a long way up your arm i find make drop the ball, i'll just stick with my enforcer thankyou very much ;)

cheers,harley :p

you can actually put more revs on the ball without a wrist guard believe it or not but it also depends what type of wrist guard you have, the main purpose of the guard is to stop your wrist bending back thats all :cool:

i never take mine off... if i don't use it, no revs for me!!! DRRIFFT!!

terry parsalidis said:
you can actually put more revs on the ball without a wrist guard believe it or not but it also depends what type of wrist guard you have, the main purpose of the guard is to stop your wrist bending back thats all :cool:

That is correct i get more revs with out my wrist guard but have a much more inconsistant roll.

I find that without using a wrist guard, my wrist and hand, etc. are free to do what they want, and I don't feel restricted. I've tried using a wrist guard...it didn't go too well :) But the advantage of not having a wrist guard is being free and unrestricted when bowling for me :D That's just me, though.

I have a wrist band, but I rarely ever use that, and even with that I feel restricted.

Bubyee

Rowey :p

i use a wrist guard only bcoz i have 2, i have 2 wear one coz i have a weird lump on mi wrist (its 2 hard 2 spell)! if i didnt have 2 use 1 i wouldnt!

As most from strikezone, Frawls also guided me in the direction of a wrist gaurd from early on. Many would say he's silly for not training us from the start without it. But think of the results, Slats, Cow, Craigy, Sammy, Leanne... All great bowlers!

I found the wrist gaurd induced my hand to be more around the side of the ball but also alot more consistent with my roll. As a result it restricted what I could do with the ball, I had alot of forward roll but enough speed to get a good match between them, when I was lined up I had as harder hitting ball than anyone. But give me a pattern where I had to play inside and I could not control the ball at all!

In the last year I have taken my wrist gaurd off, and feel like i am "bowling" alot more. I have to concentrate more, and achievments are much more gratifying now (winning my first tournament without a wrist gaurd, my first 300 without a wrist gaurd)... That's just how I think of it, its rewarding to me.

I still have a long way to go without it, but already I feel much more versatile, able to play more of the lane. It's just practice practice practice.. The more practice the more accurate and powerful I become.

While I dont use one, and am enjoying myself without it. I do however reccommend a wrist gaurd in the early development of younger bowlers, the hard bit is knowing when to take it off, and actually doing it

Good luck to everyone whichever they choose..

Craigy said:
I am yet to take mine off as I don’t feel I should for at least another 6 months so until I am ready I will continue to use mine.

Well this 6 months has now turned into a month ... while bowling in queensland i realised that the wrist guard was restricting some of the things i wanted to do and have finally decided to put the robbys revs to rest and start bowling with my new "air guard" and so far could not have been happier .. well maybe but anyway lol. I now feel that i have a strong wrist position and roll to work with while now bowling without a wrist guard which i know i would not have had at this stage if i had never gone into a wrist guard as many bowlers who knew me when i first started bowling and saw me bowl would know lmao. I would still stand by wrist guards as a great way to train you in your younger "learning and growing" years and am still encouraging younger bowlers with weak wrists who want to go somewhere someday in bowling to use one.

Craigy

i dont use a wrist guard but wen i did it didnt help at all. i noe it keeps ur wrist straight or sumthing but if u use it, it just makes it easier 4 dat person to keep puttin the ball in the same spot. personally i think every1 shouldt use a wrist guard

I think you can roll a better consistent shot without them, i used a pro release pretty much all the way through juniors until my last year. My average shot up 20 pins when i decided not to use it.

Also you cant skitch real good with a pro release or any other wrist guard

Hey all,
I used a wrist guard when i first started bowling, used it for about 4 years ('98 - '02). I bowled a 300 wearing a mongoose, After that i've never used one.

Sphiz21 said:
I personally use one, for good or bad im not quite sure, think with and without there is advantages, kind of depends on the bowler
to say that though, arguably the best bowler in Australia does use a wrist guard
cheers

Belmo has gone to using a wrist guard?

LOL.

Only ever tried it once, felt good, however couldnt be bothered sticking to it, as I enjoy being able to put revs on the ball when required.

In saying this, it is a fantastic thing for younger bowlers, as it stops the wrist break that commonly happens with developing bowlers.

Stuart Little said:
I cant even release the ball using a wrist graud. Personally, i dont like them, i understand if ppl need them because of injuries, but the whole keeping ur wrist in the same position every release just helps the game get easier and easier!

yeh same here!!! i bowl worse with one on.

cheers possum

I was going to write the same thing as Tonx about now knowing belmo wore a wrist guard :)

and as for George being able to bowl without one.......well no offence to G but i have seen it and lets just say i wouldnt be picking him to win a tournament without his beloved wrist guard on.

u know i love ya mate :)

Used a Cobra for many years. Decided to strengthen the wrist and started using a glove instead. This was sometime ago before I gave the game away. 4 years later I came back to the sport, but I had no gear. I used a mates Sky Bolt and did some damage to my wrist and now can't hold a ball without some degree of pain so now I use a Robbys Revs 1. I still get plenty of revolutions on the ball. I don't feel I've lost anything.

Back
Top Bottom