Wide Bay Suggestions...ACT NOW

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Here is my suggestion from a non bowlers point of view...(outsider looking in)

Keep the following events

Rum City Classic - Bundaberg
Gympie Grand Slam - Gympie
Heritage City Cup - Maryborough
Caboolture Open - Caboolture

Choose one or two of the next 3 events to make it the six rounds for the tour...Make your sections wisely...Taking into account that the WIDE BAY Tour is just that, and two of those centres fall into the Wide Bay area...You also have to take into account which events have been well supported over the years...And why others haven't...E.g Bad timing for that event to be held then...All i am saying is plan the Tour wisely...

Kingaroy Cup - Kingaroy
Harbour City Classic - Gladstone
Charlie Greyson - Alexander Heads

The only other thing i see is that you Don't now have Shayne and other Tour promoters doing the behind the scenes stuff, running around promoting it and getting numbers...Shayne himself is worth 30 bowlers just by emailing and private messaging and getting numbers to the event...Without this happening i know first hand the events wont run successfully...

Maybe some of the numbers have dropped since the Ladies section was removed i am not sure about that but just a suggestion...

Anyways enough from me...I was bored so i thought i would start a thread...

Its now up to you the bowlers, (and yes the ones that turn up also) to have your say and put ideas up for them to be discussed at the Wide Bay meetings...Post your ideas here for them to read, that's what its all about...

Oh and another thing, just because your not a centre manager or tour promoter doesn't mean you cant try and find sponsors for the tour...Surely out of 80-100 bowlers who compete in the whole of the Wide Bay Tour, knows someone or some local business outside of bowling who may benefit from sponsoring the tours held in your own centre...These are the grass roots tours that need to survive...

Jase,
If you are bored, you could be tour administrator again. Which squad do you want for Gladstone?

I agree with everything you have said, unfortunatley we need bowlers to speak their minds as to what will get them back to these tournaments. At this stage it just seems to be slipping away.

Thanks for starting this Jase,
I think 6 events is plenty to fit into bowlers budgets and tournament calendars. I would like to see a pole from all the bowlers who compete in these events by ranking them with votes from 6 points to 1. I think we have to get back to real prize funds based on 48 bowlers and increased if more entries are recieved, also a freeze on entry fees for 2 years with less money given to the overall series payouts and more money kept in centre with longer payouts maybe 1 in 2, even if you get $50 for 24th it still helps with some travelling costs. The Caboolture Open will continue with or without the Wide Bay but having it as part of a series makes it a little more special. Just something to get it started.

Baron Bates
Caboolture Bowl & Mini Golf

same entry fee but 10 game qualifiers and 11 games matchplay perhaps? maybe that would get first place up to $1000

same entry fee but 10 game qualifiers and 11 games matchplay perhaps? maybe that would get first place up to $1000

The Wide Bay Group decided to cap the 1st place at $800. Reguardless of numbers or format, 1st place will be $800 or until otherwised changed at the anual meeting.

I agree with Jase, The series does need some condensing.

For what it's worth, here is what i suggest.

Plus 1 event in the Brisbane or Gold Coast region. I know it is the Wide Bay tour, but by adding 1 event in this region there would be guaranteed numbers increase, and make the whole tour more appealing for more bowlers by reducing and spreading the range of travel.

I don't say this because i live on the Gold Coast, but purely because of the demographic aspects.

I also believe the ladies pool needs to be re-instated and have heard a few comments negative towards this being removed.

I also agree that $800 should be the capped 1st place for each event and a 48 entry calculation with a 1 in 2 or 2.5 would be more appealing. Something for the turn up is better than nothing and incentivises bowlers to try harder and push for more, and hence, turn up to more events.

At the end of the day though, numbers are everything. We need more bowlers to participate in the tour and a couple of more sponsors would be desireable. With regards to that aspect, i have not lived up here a massive amount of time, 2 years, but am willing to try at least and will see what i can come up with.

Bowlers, lets keep getting behind these events regardless of formats, number of events, it's the participation and enjoyment factor that counts. Support via entry alone, goes a very long way to ensuring the survival of the tour.

Thanks.

These places get my vote!

Re: Wide Bay Suggestions...ACT NOW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For what it's worth, here is what i suggest.

Harbour City Classic - Gladstone

My view is similar to what has been said earlier....
Reduce the number of tournaments again... Perhaps allow every palyer to be eligible for the end of year payout. Those that bowl them all will be up the top but they should be as they have supported the tour the whole way through. Other people that may not be able to bowl all the events could still potentially make the end of year payout, i think saying you need to bowl x tournaments for the year needs to be removed at the moment, maybe relook at the current points system again to refresh it.

I think finishing time is a big thing for a Sunday afternoon. I would like to see them all finish no later than 2 or 3pm on sunday if that is possible. That way most can be home at a reasonable hour before having to get up for work the next day.

Finals formats. I have seen some good in the knockout versions of the finals and i think they have their place but not all the time. I understand that it sometimes makes it exciting for spectators and for bowlers as more make the "cut", but the day tends to drag on and once people are out they generally leave so the numbers left in the bowl get smaller and smaller. I also think that by having the knockout it is a bit of a lottery as to who gets through, you could have a person that for 12 games qualifying has destroyed the rest of the field then makes the cut. Yet either does not go so well in the first match or has luck against him and is then out. Why should a person who slogged their guts out and come out on top be eliminated from the tournament, under a "traditional" format they could have still had a bad second day but potentially still win or finish up there. I know some wont agree with this but this is just my view.

Whilst i (like some others) have had an interest in the ladies division when it was going. I think this is one of the big things that needs to be brought back in. There used to be plenty of Women out there having a go and some made the cut from what i have seen this year the numbers seem to have dropped.

These are just my views and i guess some of the factors that have not made it possible for us to travel to them this year. I hope the tour can be saved and is back bigger and better next year.

Another suggestion could be that the tour approach (through Lauire) the likes of Hammer/Ebontie and see if a deal could be struck for the players on the tour to receive discounted gear throughout the year or even an incentive that if you play all events you receive a ball at the end of year. A small part of the entry fee could go towards paying for it or something similar. Laurie has been a great personal supporter of the tour over the years as have many other sponsors, it would be great to see them start to see a return on their investment.

I think the guys that have run and helped run the tour over the years have done a good job, even though it is a thankless job.

Love it!!!! I think they are all very valid points, there is no reason for letting the tour die a slow death, it just needs a slight revamp.

Yet again everyone in the South East is thinking of themselves. What about the bowlers from the CQ area that always support the tour. All that it needs is the bowlers that support the tour while in there back yard should also travel to the regional area and support it there. That is the biggest problem it is the likes of the South East bowlers bowling in all of the events down that way but when it comes to travelling more then 4 hours they some how have broken arms and legs. Rockhampton and Gladstone bowlers have to travel longer distances nearly every event. Yes maybe cut down on the number of events in the tour but the events that will survive without the tour should be cut first then look at what is left. Also maybe when it comes to a regional centre like Kingaroy and Gladstone lets try to get some more sponsorship and up the prize fund for these events. Money always talks.

Good post Andrew. I like everything except this bit;
Yet again everyone in the South East is thinking of themselves.
I can't let that go without commenting.

Everyone who has responded on this thread thus far can not be questioned on their past commitment to this tour and bowling in general. Pearson and Shayne have put more in than we can comprehend. Adrian LOVES bowling, but due health issues has not beeen able to compete. Mark Davidson bowls them all, as does Jason Scott and they both speak highly of their support for the Wide Bay. Chris also has bowled them all since he discovered the tour. We all know who Dominic is. Personally, I have not missed an event since I started bowling in March 2007. Brian Pilkington and his wife Kate have been avid supporters of this tour.

I'm not wanting to stir you in any way Andrew, I know you have supported the Wide Bay Tour as well. All points posted here have been valid (including yours). I just feel that in this company, the quoted comment is a little insulting.

Anyway...

You are quite right about the CQ bowlers, they travel an incredible distance and are always quick to put their names down. To name a few, The Dunns, Rob K, Rob M, John Oliver, Hamish, Kerry Stockwell, Dale, Stieny, Lisa, Graham A - there are many more names that I forget - are some of the bowlers that have kept this tour going. There are also many names from South QLD who have participated in events North and South.

As for the travel part. It is an issue that has been raised again and again. Myself, I only went to Rockhampton this year because of the support the Rocky guys have given the tour. I did not, and would not look forward to another Rockhampton tournament.

Gladstone have been awesome! Considering the fact that 2 events have already been cancelled and Rockhampton only really went ahead thanks to financial input from John McKenna, the fact that it looks like there will be an event there in two weeks time is a testament to bowlers' and proprietors support.

See you on the lanes in Gladstone!

Stuart

I normally don't post too many opinions but thought I would on this occasion given that I have supported the Wide Bay events in both the Pearson & Melton eras....hate to think how many kilometers I have clocked up over past 4 years....i digress...

- 6 events each year is more then enough. The circuit has always understandably avoided hosting an event in October (due to Nationals) however I would try also avoid June (due to Association Challenge). In the Pearson era June was always skipped but in the last couple of years there has been an event week or so after Challenge ~ very hard for those that travel distances. Personally I generally skip the events just after Challenge because of travel & economics (this year was an exception as the one after challenge was in Rocky...)

The Rocky event this year was always going to struggle for numbers due to 'reputational factors' and geographics, but being so close to Challenge would have also impacted on the turnout.

- In those 6 events I would like to see at least one CQ centre host an event (perhaps Gladstone based on past support). Getting at least one each year close to home is nice (I imagine the Mackay boys would appreciate one where they get home Sunday night as opposed to early Monday morning.

Cutting back to 6 events is probably the right thing to do. Location, lane conditions, proprietor support etc need to be taken into account when determining the locations, but we should also look at where are the bowlers come from. I know when Jase ran the circuit he always liked bowlers support not only the home event but other events in the circuit as well..... To keep paying the prize fund we need to encourage bowler participation at multiple events (not just a 'home' event).

- On the timing of the events, I agree with Pilko in that we need to look at a 2/3pm or earlier finish on the Sunday. Nothing worse then the event wrapping up at 5pm or 6pm (I think 7pm was the record...) and then have a 5-6 hour drive ahead of you (makes for a great day at work on Monday....)

- Some of the events have been 3 stages and have dragged on a bit, but I think 2 stages allows for earlier finish time (as well as keeping more in the prize payout). In saying that, I think mixing the formats up is great, the same format all the time would get a bit too predictable.

I think this would have to be the longest thread I have ever typed, so I think I should wrap it up now....if you have managed to read this far down !

Yet again everyone in the South East is thinking of themselves.

I could rip in here but i wont given i absolutely love and support wide bay since moving up here just over 2 years ago.

I have missed i think only 1 event in 2 years and have travelled all the way, 9 hours, to Rockhampton this year for an event. So to say people in the South East think of just themselves is way out of line. I have and will totally continue to support the wide bay tour now, and into the next year and as long as it is running, hopefully for many years to come yet.

It is essential this tour continues to enhance the profile of the sport and give improving bowlers and juniors a pathway to tournamnet bowling and events for established bowlers to compete in on a regular basis.

I am certainly not thinking of myself here andrewh as i have travelled thousands of kms to events and am happy to continue to do so for the enjoyment of the tour. simple as that.

Simply want to bowl and i think my suggestions earlier are fair and valid, but suggestions are always able to be dissected and pushed back by public opinion and have no issue with that.

Cya all at Gladstone, and yes andrewh, i will be making a 7 hour trip. i say that nicely, no malice or sarcasm intended.

Cancel the split Squads. I detest bowling 6 games in the morning and then 6 games in the afternoon. That's my preference. Not sure what others think of splitting qualify up into two lots, but I would prefer to bowl the qualifying all at once.

Also and more importantly, entry forms should be out at least two months prior to the event being held. It should not be that hard to at least post it on this website.

Well Jasonguru I can see that there is heaps of bowler coming up to Gladstone from down south. You may go to all of the events but there are may of your counter parts that don't and won't.

Could we only bowl the match play on the Sunday. Then we would be finished early and the people that don't make them can go home or stay to watch. Make it a little cheaper for people to attend. Just an idea.

Also and more importantly, entry forms should be out at least two months prior to the event being held. It should not be that hard to at least post it on this website.

That is a very good, and from a bowler's perspective, obvious point. I do believe there was some rule made about entry forms and squad lists not being put up until the previous tournament commenced. As the dates are already chosen at the start of the year, I can't see any reason why entry forms can't be out 2 months prior to the event.

Andrew,
Some weekends have been matchplay only on Sunday (Maryborough, Tweed Heads, Caboolture 2009 others I forget). Unfortunatley, I think the proprietors dislike us on the lanes late Saturday night as it chews into their prime time disco bowling revenue, which is fair enough. So they try and make the early Sunday squad a bearable hour. Isn't Gladstone qualifying all on Saturday? I can't be bothered looking right as Burn notice is starting!

Stuart

hehe love burn notice, great show. u got good taste stu!

I agree that the 2 x 6 game blocks are very annoying and I too prefer 1 x 12 game block. This is more practical for all bowlers and think you will find most agree, even if the burn is a little harder :)

Andrew, i agree with you there but it needs prodding not yelling, otherwise even less will come. People dont like being picked on, no matter who they are. It is a big reason for why i suggested 1 event be held in the SEQ corner of the world to boost overall tour numbers.

This is a great tour and needs support anyway it can get it. This would go a long way to helping with that i believe. As i suggested earlier, 6 events and will be a winner.

I think that many valid points have been brought up, but as seen in the thread that the blame game is there as well.For anything to be a success it takes alot of hard and sometimes thankless work. This years series has seen several links in the chain to make each event a success go missing. I believe the series for 2011 needs to start small and the little things that made it successful in 2009 need to come back.

VENUES:
6 stops is enough,but how do we cover everyone with potentially 8 venues.
Bundaberg
Caboolture
Sunshine Coast
Gympie
Kingaroy
Gladstone
Rockhampton
Maryborough

We need to link 2 venues together to make 1 stop. For example, Rocky and Gladstone (Capricorn) and each center would hold the event in alternate years. My other suggestion would be either Gympie or Maryborough linking with Kingaroy (Mid west region).

FORMATS
Needs to shorten with qualifying to 10 games or the possiblity of 8 games. This should help with the time situation and also with conditions as well holding up. Also we could look at the possiblity at a consolation final and Grand Final on the Sunday. The top 10 (G/F) to play head to head and the 11th to 20th (Cons/F) play a 4 or 6 game sprint.

PRIZEFUNDS/ENTRIES:
Need to be based on 40 bowlers for open division and 5 for the Ladies division. Women must choose which division they wish to compete in. Also the half price entry to the next event draw for 1 bowler that doesn't cash should be reintroduced.

Venues need to encourage local bowlers to compete with either win a spots or a reduced entry for under a certain house avg.
End of year payouts should be open to all.

Each venues must have entry forms out a min of 6 weeks before event, earlier the better.

Also more info to the bowlers on how they can assist in making the events. Every little bit helps

Hammo

Back
Top Bottom