Where do you look on the lane?

Toshio

Videogame Master!
For most people we would look at the arrows on the lane as we approach and release the ball.

just wonderin how many people don't look at the arrows, where they look on the lane.

I myself was told as a youngster to look at the arrows, I could never do that but I have adjusted to my own style of bowling, I cannot say where I look to throw the ball I just throw in somewhere on the left hand side of the lane (Im a Lefty).

I could never look at the arrows and bowl or the dots, or even the pins to bowl.

I have a decent average of 182 (current), so I think that it works well for me. If you want to know more have a look at my profile!

So where do you look on the lane as you bowl?

Yahoo

I actually look at the arrows first, and then drop my site down to the dots, as though to visualise the shot, altho i change where exactly i am looking at depending as to where on the approach I am standing.

I also find the furthur I look down the lane the shorter I drop the ball, so for really oily conditions i look furthur out on the lanes, and for drier conditions I look closer to the approach.

I play off the dots.
For years i bowled off the arrows but i wasnt happy with my accuracy. Bowling on the dots i will hit the one i want 9 times out of 10.
But, in the case of the 10 pin. i aim for the middle lane board (since there is no dot in the middle)
Only difference i found between the arrows and dots, is that the ball gets on the lane earlier bowling on the dots and i dont get as much lift on the ball.

I look at the arrows. Cant say I have ever tried to look at the dots though. I have tried looking past the arrows for drier conditions, but wasnt happy with it...cant remember what the results were like. Arrows are the go for me.

Half way between the dots and the arrows. I look at my target intensely right throughout my approach and well after I let the ball go. Only looking up probably when the ball is 2/3's of the way down the lane.

I find my accuracy and timing is ten times better, and obviously repeat my shots better as well.

Jen... try looking past the arrows for wetter conditions and closer to the foul for drier, it takes some getting used to, but if you draw a line from your release through the arrows, then aim at the same board just a few ft earlier, you will actually throw the ball out more.

If that makes sense. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I Look At The Foul Line. I've Tried To Look At The Dots And Arrows But I Can't Stay Focused If I Do,So The Foul Line Suits Me Well

tonx said:
try looking past the arrows for wetter conditions and closer to the foul for drier,

Strange, but I was told the exact opposite. Look further down and follow through to the target now an extra couple of feet down the lane helps me to increase my speed. I have never needed to look at the dots for when the lanes were too oily as the lanes have never been to oily.
Strange really, its probably all in our heads.

Later Da Cowman!

i look at the arrows in practice and when i find a good enough strike line i look at th break point and it is really good to do because your release and hand are open and not pulling at the ball threw the swing it really helps to get more revs on the bowl witch i don't need because i naturally crank the ball.

I still think that where I look is the best.

"I Don't Know" where I look!
hahahaha

Yahoo

I have no idea anymore. I think I was bowling with my eyes closed last night. :lol:

i used to look at the foul line for my whole runup and release but now i kind of start looking at where im gonna walk to then look straight at the dots :p

cow....

Interesting the way the mind works hey....

the main reason i can find for the huge difference is i think ur shot is quite a fair bit different to mine... lol and you play down the lane where as i normally play across.

Just try something for me and visualise my method before you bowl, and work out which one makes more sense for the across lane player... I used to use the same theory as you, but found the futhur i looked out on the lane the harder it was to throw it out more.

i made a picture...... :p :p :p :p :p

Look at the dots myself.

Find if l need more length before the break point l look further down the lane, as it tightens the shot, and creates a later roll on the ball.

Thats me, and everyone seems to be different. Probably because we all bowl different shots and lines.

Hey tonx - were are you bowling that line - not on Wednesday nights that for sure

i use to look at the foul line dots :oops: until a week or two a go(thanks cow :wink: ) now i use the arrows well im trying taking a bit of getting use to.

i rarely play any sort of line anywhere nowadays, its just chuck the bloody ball down... lol

The picture was just a quick pic... i wish i could play that line and hit pocket... Maybe trotts and his 4th rev!!! :D :D :D :D

Tonx, Sorry to say, but I don't know who you are, and dont think that I have ever seen you bowl. So trying to visulise your shot became hard... very hard.
The difference I see is that when I move my target closer, I don't bring the target straight back on the board that it is on. I make an invisible line from me to my arrow target, then back a little to either the dots or some easily recognisable part of the lane (easier on wood then synthetic). So I am not moving my line as you are, but rather just moving my target closer to me, which, for me, makes me slow down. To bowl faster its the opposite, obviously, I just look further down the lane, but to a point through my current target.

Hope that made sense...

I didn't draw a picture :D :D :D :D :D

Later Da Cowman!

Depends on the shot I'm throwing at the time.

If i'm inside swinging it, I'll find the area where I want to throw the ball to at the break point.

If I need to actually hit a target, I will focus my eyes 5 boards right of what I'm trying to hit. Doesn't matter what I do, I will always pull it 5 boards inside of what I'm aiming at but it's consistant. Gets a little dodgy when you have to aim at the gutter or capping to hit 5 board and out hehe

I look at the foul line and i find that it works well for me cus i have been recently bowling scores of 279, 280 , 276 and 288. i guess u just have to find out what works and that there is no right or wrong place to look on the lane

Back
Top Bottom