What Finals Format Do You Like?

What Finals Format Do You Prefer??

• Classic Matchplay with bonus pins for win

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • Tri - Matchplay (bonus pins for 1st and 2nd on pair)

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Single Elimination - Best of 5 or 7 games

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Double Elimination - 2 or 3 game blocks

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Straight Pinfall - all pinfall carrying over from qualifying

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Eliminator - Bowl blocks and field keeps being cut in half

Votes: 22 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jez

With tournaments trying new and different formats of late trying to increase entries...I thought I would ask the question out there to the bowlers to see what they prefer?

Fair spread of numbers there Jarrod.

My opinion is that alike to Wide Bay up here in QLD, if the formats are differing event to event it keeps bowlers fresh and interested. As long as when a tournament is scheduled, that prior events are assesed and formats are taken into account, i dont think anyone can really go wrong.

This was a good thread to put up mate. Hope Sydney is treating you well?

All the best

Jase

I tried something a little different for last years ACT Open Masters, taking my inspiration from other events.

The format we ran was block of games, cut to top x, then everyone on the same pair bowling one game blocks moving to a different pair each game, low game eliminated.

It was the first time I'd seen a crowd of spectators at a local event here, and one of very few times I've seen a crowd hanging on every ball as one split could be sending the hot favourite home.

Jez,

We have pretty much tried all of those formats of hear in the QLD Wide Bay over the last two years and it become very obvious on who liked which formats and what was less populur.

I found that the elimination style formats where great for increasing entry number as fringe bowlers feel they have a better chance of finishing higher. The so called elite bowlers disliked the elimination formats with a passion, and always want a long format where pinfall continues to carry over all the way till the end. This is statement is so true that some top end bowler have been avoiding bowling events that where elimination styles are used.

No matter what you do, you will not make all of thr bowlers happy. Bowlers will complain about the format reguardless of how good and inspired they maybe.

Shayne

I tried something a little different for last years ACT Open Masters, taking my inspiration from other events.

The format we ran was block of games, cut to top x, then everyone on the same pair bowling one game blocks moving to a different pair each game, low game eliminated.

It was the first time I'd seen a crowd of spectators at a local event here, and one of very few times I've seen a crowd hanging on every ball as one split could be sending the hot favourite home.

We used low game eliminated for the last 6 at the Sth QLD Masters a couple of years ago, for about three years. Some of the bowlers didnt like it, but the crowd certainly did.

There is something about watching a guy bringing his lunch up over one shot that makes people want to watch. We had guys needing an eight and throwing 7 and being eliminated on the spot .... Its like having a six footer for a major championship ... you only get one go.

The low game eliminator sounds good. Id be keen to bowl something with that format in it.
Personally, I am a fan of your classic matchplay, but am open to trying new formats.

If I remember correctly Peter you were one of those responsible for the introduction of the low game eliminator format we introduced.
It was very successfull and has become more so since we shortened it slightly.
It has the added benefit of holding the audience interest which is something very few other Masters finals do.
Rather than explain the shortened elimination format here is a link to the results which explain it perfectly.

http://www.tbaq.org.au/documents/QLDSTATEMASTERS2010FINALRESULTSv29.4_000.xls

The low game eliminator sounds good. Id be keen to bowl something with that format in it.
Personally, I am a fan of your classic matchplay, but am open to trying new formats.

Cheers Jen, see you at ACT Open Masters, maybe you can win yourself the free National Masters spot...

We've tried to vary the finals format in the Victorian Sports SEries this year.
Event 1 was Top 6 step-ladder.
Event 2 was Top 6 low game eliminator
Event 3 was Top 6 bowl 2 more games (carry pinfall).

Other formats we're looking at are
Top 6 bowl 3 further games (3 game pinfall + bonus pins for qualifier rank ie:1st +50, 2nd +40, 3rd +40 etc.)
Top 8 elimination series (1v8/2v7/3v6/4v5, W1vW4/W2vW3, W5vW6)
Straight games

Series Final last year was a 2 day event with 8 games single pattern quali, 8 games dual pattern stage 2, Top 8 bowl eliminator matches (see Event 5).

Variety is the spice of life so they say!

Ok thanks all who placed their votes. Think the conclusion is that there isnt a clear favourite when it comes to formats! :)

Back
Top Bottom