State Championships what do they mean to you really…

What would make you participate in the State Championships?

• To get our photo or picture published in the paper…

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Take away the prize money and play for the prestige of the event only…

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Increase the prize payout to be better than 1 in 20…

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Leave it as they are they are fine…

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Change the format its boring…

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other …Please post your thoughts below

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
If you're in it for the money, you've picked the wrong sport matey - golf or tennis is where an individual can go and make money. This sport has to be the worst outlay/return there is...

...unless your name is Jason Belmonte! :p

Basically you have to be very consistent and bowl 220+ average to win something major!

For me it was a couple of things.

Catching up with fellow bowlers. Rachuig requirement. Local Assoc masters champion requirements. State Masters with the chance of representing your state at the Australian Masters.

All Championships need a revamp. 5 man teams are gone. FIQ format is the way to go. Bowlers love to bowl but don't want to be stuck in a bowling alley all day. Multiple grades need to refined. Instead of 5 or 6 grades, only 3.

Time is the big factor. The Champs need to be short and sweet.

hammo

Last time I filled in an all-events in our State Championships was '96 in Devonport.
Only reason I enter a singles in them now is to qualify for the State Masters, as very few bowlers participate in any of the other events these days other than doing maybe a singles or the Masters qualifying I found it a bit of a waste of money really.

Hi all.

I have been reading the pages here and people talk about money and Rachuig, Now i Only bowled one year in Tba state championships and found out if i want to bowl in nationals in team i had to actually bowl other tornaments earlier in the year,(now that could of changed)

The next year i bowled in Gstba state championship and had a blast again did not make the team but the team was decided on the weekend, If i want to try and win money i will go into tornaments like Cowman's sport series or even the sports series in qld if i lived there,

I look at state is a stepping stone to get into nationals, you play against the best in your state( hopefully) and then maybe a chance to bowl against best in australia.

My 2 cents worth

To myself they have always been an event for the up and coming tournament player. Its a chance to play with the better players.

The format could be changed so the All-Events total goes to the qualifying for the Masters, no re-attempts just one shot at every event only. No prize money in the events except the Masters were all finalists receive payout.

The issue I see with multiple attempt events is it is taking away the pressure of competing, I don't see re-attempts for Wimbleton ... or any other sporting event. It is of course creating prize money though.

No prize money in the events except the Masters were all finalists receive payout.

Doing that would kill the championships all together.

What some people forget sometimes is, different types of Championship events (ie: State, local and national) just incorporate different types of masters, usually Seniors/Veterans, Restricted and Open Masters.

By removing payouts for different divisions (ie: Open, Classic, A, B, C & D grades) and different events (ie: Singles, Doubles, Teams/Trios) and putting it all in Masters, you would basically be pushing people who have no intention to bowl a masters event away.

Like it has been said a few times before, some people prefer to bowl a few events and have fun with their friends, and hopefully make a few bucks in the process.

Anyone like to agree/disagree or add to this?

i like the idea of all the grades. it provides a scratch enviroment where the different levels of skill play against their own skill level on a scratch basis.

i also like the catching up with friends again, aspect that a state championship, or any championship for that matter, provides.

i would like to see state committees do deals with accomodtaion houses to make staying for a few nights cheaper all round.

i would also like to see some local area sponsorship put into the event to boost prizefund across all grades and all events. if we know now where the championships will be next June why not arrange to offer advertising space for a local business for the next 6 months for there trouble. seems sensible to me.

having the nearest centre 2 and 1/2 hours drive away and not having local tournaments i have to travel to compete. any saving on accomodation and increase in prizemoney is always welcome, if i'm fortunate enough to cash that is, non cashing comes down to my own fault for lack of performance at the time.

Shoey

RPAC23 made a good point, I was thinking of a Masters for all grades. Thi sway every grade would have the same experience as the Open grade bolwers and be prepared as they gain in skill to tackle the next level.

Back
Top Bottom