State Championships what do they mean to you really…

What would make you participate in the State Championships?

• To get our photo or picture published in the paper…

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Take away the prize money and play for the prestige of the event only…

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • Increase the prize payout to be better than 1 in 20…

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Leave it as they are they are fine…

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Change the format its boring…

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Other …Please post your thoughts below

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

Jase

Admin
Staff member
In out meeting last night we got to talking about State Championships’….

What do they really mean to you…

Tell us your thoughts on them as to why you choose to or not to bowl in the State Championships…

Some of the Board members thought for different reasons so I thought I would put it to the test and ask for your opinions regarding the State Championships’…

One idea was take all the prize money away and play for nothing more than prestige…Other were they would bowl if the champions got there picture on the back page of a Major Paper…Others thought you needed to increase the prize funds give us your thoughts please…

This is a great topic Jase, could we put it in the main forum? This is an issue that all states could benefit from.

Also, those that vote for changes to the format - what would you play?

State Champs should be a totally prestigious event and we should take them far more seriously. Many of us who bowl State Champs dont really give a damn about the money, as its all about participating against the best in the State.

Personally I would like to see all the prize money transferred to the Open Masters.

There are events for all of us to compete on a reasonably equal footing but the Open is the cream. If you're good enough to win this one you deserve not only the trophy but also a decent cheque.

State Championships are an anachranism in todays bowling environment. I bowl in them purely because they are a pre-requisite for eligibility for Rachuig. Given that is no longer a requirement for me as I have retired from Rachuig, I doubt I will spend the time and money to bowl in them.

As it currently stands in adult ranks, very few people, other than those who HAVE to bowl, actually bowl in them. The reasons are many and varied.

1. Lack of Promotion. Entry forms are placed in bowling centres, but the centres do not promote them and most people don't even know they are on.

2. Time. Most people don't want to spend all day in a bowling centre, which is pretty much what is required to bowl teams, doubles and singles.

3. Outlay. It usually costs upward of $75.00 (plus any masters qualifying attampts). For little or no return, most people baulk at spending this type of money.

There are a few for starters. I'm sure that there are plenty of others.

Too me there a waste of time............

Just a money making excersice...........

cheers

tony

Firstly, I like playing in the state championships. They're a bit of fun when I have the time. I think Brenton has hit the time issue on the head. If you play Masters, then it's at least 2 days in the bowl.

As the vast majority of what you spend on entry goes on game fees, the paltry prize money hardly seems worth it. I think I averaged 241 or something stupid like that to make about $17.50 last time I played in them. (Didn't win all events btw. Yes, it was at Belconnen.)

In all honesty, I suspect that it's only the mandatory status of these events to be eligible for Rachuig qualifying that has kept them alive. Sad, but I suspect true.

That said, if you aren't an open tournament player, these events present an excellent opportunity for competition and improvement.

I enjoy the State Championships because it's almost like a reunion of all the bowlers around the state. You also bowl against some of the better bowlers as most need to do it as a pre-requisite for eligibility in Rachuig.

If you win a masters, you're eligable to bowl at the Nationals (and its usually paid for) in the countrys masters event.

As for the money, i've yet to leave without any, even if its $4 for last years NSW State Championships. LoL

Every year, I try to get as many of my bowling pals over to do the championships, because you try to beat them too!

Earlier in the year I participated in the ACT State Championships, and brought 6 other with me. It was a great experience and made lots of new friends in the process.

For me, the State Championships is a definate in my yearly calender!

About time you said that Richard, been waiting for it so I can follow on...

The social factor used to be good, I felt, in that you get together with a bunch of people you may not necessarily see regularly. Here in the ACT that's not so true since we're down to only two centres now, most of us know each other anyway.

As a face in the machine of these events I think the free masters spot is a good drawcard as well, I think most bowlers with the potential to succeed tend to bowl after the free spot if they're going to the nationals.

Does anybody here do this with other sports? What about Darts, snooker, or golf - do they do something similar?

Have been taking close note of this threads comments from people and i am with Richard on this one, sometimes money is not the be all and end all of existence when it comes to bowling.

I love bowling, i might not be the greatest bowler running around but i find that the people i bowl with make this sport more and more appealing to me. I tend to go to bowling whether its league, state champs or bowling nationally ranked tournaments for the social factor and for the challenge of testing yourself against your mates and having a great time in the process.

In saying this i think that those that are in bowling to make money are entitled to do so also if this is what they choose to do, everyone has a choice and no one should be looked at any better or any worse for there decision but i will say this, some times it is better to make the odd sacrifice and go and compete in your state championships and give a little time back to the average bowler because i don't know if the elite bowlers are aware of this or not but getting the chance to talk to some elite bowlers and talk about bowling or just idle chat is a very encouraging thing for some of the restricted to average bowlers to take the sport more seriously and to give it a go at the next level and that can only be good for the sport wouldn't you say.

I bowl at all levels being in nationally ranked tournaments, state tournaments, the sports series in NSW as well as championships and local leagues with bowlers who turn up for fun and really get excited to break 100 in a game and i enjoy every aspect of all levels of this sport and i am only a 160 average bowler but it never stops me from challenging myself and helping those that want some advise in relation to bowling.

To me though its the social atmosphere and the great friends you make in bowling all over Australia and in some cases around the world as well.

Once again to reinterate though everyone is entitled to there own reasons for bowling and personally i would never hold those reasons against anybody or try to change there outlook on the sport they play the same as i would hope the same in return.

Michael Mclaren
Tickets for short lol

I bowl State Champs for numerous reasons.
The two biggest are;
a] for the love of the game.
b] as a pre-requisite for Rachuig.

The fact that there is little to no money doesnt bother me in the slightest.
I go to catch up with a few people and have some fun. Thats what its about. If I manage to bowl well and come out on top well thats even better.

Then why participate in any sport?
Why bowl league?

to get cheap games? 12.50 3 games tba. bowl league and get it for 5 bucks for 3 games.and the leagues i usaly bowl in have cash prizes

Q.Then why participate in any sport. ??MONEY??

bowling is fun yes i love it but at the and of the day i can bowl at home lanes are all the same length and width mite have drifferent pattens but mostley the same. but i want to travel to make cash not lose it. respect meens not much in bowling. to me money makes the world go round.

but dont get me wrong id do anny thing 4 this sport but if it ends up costing me 1000000$ with no return count me out.

If you're in it for the money, you've picked the wrong sport matey - golf or tennis is where an individual can go and make money. This sport has to be the worst outlay/return there is...

And Kellie, can we make the spell checker mandatory?

but dont get me wrong id do anny thing 4 this sport but if it ends up costing me 1000000$ with no return count me out.

How to contradict yourself in 1 easy sentence.

Someone earlier mentioned it was about competing against the best your state had to offer... As someone who was at the NSW Champ in Gosford earlier this year, I must have been outside when Belmo, Jez and walshy walked through and did their all-events.
The difference between the Junior and Adult State Champs is amazing. There was actually a cut for the juniors I believe. I wonder why the prizefund was so bad, no incentive to bowl more. Make cuts at most half the field. People can re enter... I'm not sure how other states do it, but we actually get a great opportunity for a re-entry format every year, add on nationals. But we destroy it. You can finish your singles event and not care if you bowled good or bad, because you know that you will be coming back tomorrow, handing over your 100 odd bucks to bowl the masters... where is the fun in that? Sure it's great to meet up with all your friends, but getting a bowling centre half full in that last desperado squad with people busting their guts to make the cut... that's where it's at.

Later Da Cowman!

I qualified in the final squad of Junior State masters in 2002 with a plastic ball. One of the best feelings of my life, first major cut.
But I've never had to try and re qualify because the 590 I just chucked was always good enough because only 2 people ever missed out...
I'd love to have to get up and throw 670 to make a state cut. At least everyone would feel like they deserved it. The prizefund could only go up.
The biggest problem the easy cut creates is that once people have a bad squad in their first or second squads, they simply don't care about anything for the rest of the Saturday. All-Events is out of the question so meh. It's a State Championship with people not overly caring. That's the biggest problem I reckon. Make All-Events the way to qualify. That way you got people caring and trying every shot of every game, regardless of how bad they just threw their singles...

Later Da Cowman!

Cow, I seem to have missed those guys at Gosford too. They certainly wern't there on the first weekend! :p But there are still the best bowlers of yesturday and of tomorrow there too!

I agree with Cow, all events should be the key to qualifying. If I ever bowl 1802 again, I know it would be worth it!

For the love of the sport, you do try and participate in whatever is available to you. I bowl in whatever Championships within driving distance (or where my friends are at). The Illawarra Championships this year were great, I got to bowl with THE Jen Jones! :) Don't I feel so cool now! :cool:

Jeff, talk with the higher up and try and get a Belconnen Championships going to make up for this years cancelled event, and maybe try using this method to qualify! Hopefully we'll get some good numbers this time around!

Jeff, talk with the higher up and try and get a Belconnen Championships going to make up for this years cancelled event, and maybe try using this method to qualify! Hopefully we'll get some good numbers this time around!
Oh CTBA were keen, the cancellation was through lack of support, not lack of drive...

I think the idea has merit - but it doesn't fit with my software :mad:

Well, I guess you gotta bend with the wind :surrender: and go with the flow!

LOL

Dam the software is not compatable, there are ways around that you know, and although i work in IT please don't ask me as i am a Backup and Restore subject matter expert for EDS on the Commonwealth Bank Account, this ain't my specialty but i am sure you will work it out.

Might be worth pondering for Darrell Holt Next year as well, that would really put a cat amoungst the pigeons so to speak in determining the restricted masters and classic masters champions for 2008.

Michael Mclaren
Tickets for short lol

Back
Top Bottom