VirginBlue Reviewing Sporting Equipment Policy

This seems really weird to me. I just flew from perth to melbourne on virgin and had no problems, i told the woman at the check-in counter that i had 3 pieces of heavy sporting equipment. She just checked them through no problems. Maybe they haven't all heard about it yet

Just checked in from Fraser Coast to Melbourne. The girl at the Virgin counter almost started asking for payment for extra luggage when we showed her their (Virgin) luggage policy including the bit about sporting equipment, printed off the Virgin website. She consulted with her superior (?) and agreed with us that that policy was still valid but, not before we mentioned that our travel agent confirmed the above with someone from the Virgin office the day before. The new policy - we were told - is likely to come into effect by the end of this month. The girls couldn't tell us whether tickets bought before commencement of the new policy will be processed according to the old or the new policy.

I flew home from Mackay today, and was told by staff that there was no allowance. I "luckly" only paid 30 in excess. I then went about ringing Virgin Blue, and found out that the staff member that checked me in was wrong, inturn, overcharging me. They have made arrangements to refund my money.
Looking forward to travelling back up there in the next few weeks and having a few words with the guy.

I just finished talking to Virgin Blue, having the sporting good notation put on our next couple of bookings. The girl I spoke to said that there is a new review coming into play, but as yet there is no implentation date. She assured me that for now, virgin would stand by their existing 5kg sporting good policy......we shall see!;)

I have just got a off the phone to Virgin Blue and the ladie that i spoke advised me that the New Policy for Sporting Gear has still not approved so if you have booked a flight with virgin blue in the next month or 2 i suggest you ring and get them to put on your flight to have the sporting gear at 5kgs per bag.

Chris

Just flew into Qld yesterday. I was carrying one tote and my suitcase, which in total weighed in at approximately 32kg (12kg over my baggage allowance). Told the lady at bag drop off that I had sporting goods and the tote was taken as 5kgs.
4 months later and they still dont know if they are changing it or not :rolleyes:

I am flying to SA at Easter and have had to contact Virgin in regards to flight changes.
When I asked the lady about my bowling gear, she said just to mentioned it is sporting equipment and they will put it through as 5kgs. This is for any sporting equipment not just bowling. i was told this yesterday.

Having just read the out line of the new policy mum has written to virgin on their feed back line as we do travel from Rocky down south a far bit and always have our bowling gear with us. Will let you know what they have to say.

Regards rat:eek:

Having just read the out line of the new policy mum has written to virgin on their feed back line as we do travel from Rocky down south a far bit and always have our bowling gear with us. Will let you know what they have to say.
Regards rat:eek:

What actually has changed…From what I see nothing has and it’s the same policy…I wouldn’t be emailing anyone at the moment or typing any letter…If it hasn’t changed then I wouldn’t be rocking the boat at all, Nor would I be giving them any reason to review what so ever…
Last time I spoke with them they weren’t changing anything regarding sporting equipment and the policy they have at the moment they have had since day one…I haven’t had any issues with Virgin at all since its all died down…

Just my thoughts…

p.s If I have missed something and it’s changed please link me…

The 5kg per item of sporting equipment etc has been taken off their website & off the conditions attached to e-tickets. I was led to understand they actually have enacted the change of policy.

The easiest way is to call them a week or two before you're flying and tell them that you have sporting gear.
They appreciate the call and when you get to the airport life is made alot easier.
Another tip is get to the airport a bit earlier than usual...always works :D

The 5kg per item of sporting equipment etc has been taken off their website & off the conditions attached to e-tickets. I was led to understand they actually have enacted the change of policy.

I found this...

http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInfo/travelInfo/atTheAirport/index.php?section=Baggage+Information

Click on Baggage on the Left
FLIGHT TOOLS
Self Check-In
Fare Prices
Flight Routes
Flight Status
Change Flights
Cancel Flights
Baggage
Group Bookings

Bulky Baggage
Some items are bigger or bulkier than usual. This information outlines weight allocations packing instructions for larger items.

Guests Travelling with Sporting Equipment:Sporting Equipment counts towards guests’ free baggage allowance.

Each Item of sporting equipment will individually represent 5kgs of a guests free total baggage allowance, irrespective of the actual weight of the item.

For example, a bicycle that weighs 10kgs will represent 5kgs of the guests’ free baggage allowance. If the free baggage allowance is 20kgs, this leaves 15kgs for other items. These items include but are not to be restricted to the following:

bicycles
golf clubs
snow skis
surfboards
cricket / tennis bags

Hope that helps

What actually has changed…From what I see nothing has and it’s the same policy…I wouldn’t be emailing anyone at the moment or typing any letter…If it hasn’t changed then I wouldn’t be rocking the boat at all, Nor would I be giving them any reason to review what so ever…
Last time I spoke with them they weren’t changing anything regarding sporting equipment and the policy they have at the moment they have had since day one…I haven’t had any issues with Virgin at all since its all died down…

Just my thoughts…

p.s If I have missed something and it’s changed please link me…
Reply I rec'd was that "at this stage" sports equipment is 5 kg against your overall allowance, as we know. They are reviewing this however and may change, but at this stage allowance still stands.
I did not get heavy with them at all I just wanted to make sure what their story was, as we are coming to the "end of the year" we don't turn up at the airport and get hit up with extra costs.

Reply I rec'd was that "at this stage" sports equipment is 5 kg against your overall allowance, as we know. They are reviewing this however and may change, but at this stage allowance still stands.
I did not get heavy with them at all I just wanted to make sure what their story was, as we are coming to the "end of the year" we don't turn up at the airport and get hit up with extra costs.

This the thing, you have not told us anything different to what we already knew. Whether its the beginning of the year, middle of the year the year or the end of the year, it doesnt make a difference to extra costs. The only extra costs are if the airline physically puts up the airfare before you book or you buy something on the aircraft or if they change their policy before you travel, but until then keep checking their website. Anyway there was a much easier option than emailing virginblue, just ask some of your fellow rocky bowlers.

Back
Top Bottom