VirginBlue Reviewing Sporting Equipment Policy

Ahhh, so what you posted was on the website currently, now I understand ;)

Looks like another dagger into the heart of competitive bowling...

I tried arguing that with 'em 2.

i was thinking more along the lines of 1 x 4 ball tote @ 32kg = 5kgs :)

I just rang Virgin and they said 1 tote of 15 kg still counts as only 5kg off you 20 kg allowance and he said he wasnt aware of any changes.

lol depends who ya ring what info you get i guess.. lol.

i might call up and see whats happening and get them to put a note or something on there so i make sure i dont get shafted.. with three 2 ball tote bags it will not be cheap if i get hit with baggage excess fees lol..

Ive had called them twice in the last 30mins and have copped the new policy story on the 1st call and on the 2nd call they have plainly read out the policy shown on the internet.

Getting oversea's call centre's are bloody annoying.

I have asked them to follow though with my questions and email me a response on what the deal is.

Next time i visit the company if work for main office i should just go and annoy someone on another floor. Gotta be at some sort of advantage for working in the Virgin Blue building in Fortitude Valley... lol

lol i just called and they said the new policy is being postponed for now.. it is still the sporting goods are 5kgs. thats what she looked up in her procedure.

though when asked if she could email me that so when i get there i can show it to make sure i dont get the fee she said she couldnt. so yeah just have to hope hey lol

I have worked out what to do. Allways carry the terms and conditions stating each item regardless of weight only counts for 5 kg of your allowed 20kg.

Make sure you go to a blonde check in girl and if she hassles you just show here the conditions. Most of them dont even know what the terms are now so how they going to know the new ones.

I just rang virgin to cancel some flights and asked about the policy change, and what i was told was that sporting equipment is now treated no different to your regular check in luggage, so no more bowling gear getting weighed at 5kgs per piece. Will definately be flying qantas from now on. Id rather pay $22 to take 2 bags of equipment on Qantas rather than $80 plus on virgin.

I was also told that all virgin staff at airports are now working off this policy, not the one on the internet so it should be interesting to see how much more business virgin will recive with their baggage policy change......

Matt Watson

Well I called Virginblue as soon as i booked my flights online, and after a while of being on the phone we come to the conclusion that if EACH of my balls is considered 5 Kgs, then if u take 5 balls with u that is "25Kgs"... so if u hand luggage is less than 5Kg... then u are less than 10Kg over and u pay like $20
I've told the fella to make a remark on my confirmation number about it, if they want to charge me $80, basically the fee of another person, i'll have a talk to whoever's on duty.
Hope it works out for everyone
R

When i travel with qantas i take 2 suitcases with 2 tote bags in each .They must weigh no more than exactly 32 kg per case , so i put my shoes and extas in my carry on luggage . And it only costs $22 for the extra case.

well i just got the nicest phone lady ever.. lol

she at first read out the internet one. then when i askeed that there have been changes that other people have heard she read out the new policy of all weight counting straight to the free travell. but stated coming soon.

Talking now she has gone to ask supervisor what the date of this is and when it will be implimented.. so hopefully can get a date. lol

lol no date from them but she put a note on my flight tickets for airport to see saying that i have been informed and that they are to use the 5kgs per sporting bag. So yeah that sounds atleast good. ig they try to charge me more i will be one pissed person lol

I just rang to confirm my flights for SA Cup, and inquired about the baggage allowance.

The lady I talked to informed me that any bag containing sporting goods will be 5kg against my allowance.

So going by that, I'm taking two 3ball rollers which will be a total of 10kg.

I asked for that to be put on my reservation, and was told no problems.

i got response from virgin today and it looks like who ever has booked a flight before there policy changes they will allow it under the old rules of 5kg per sporting bag.

this is the email.

Thank you for your email.

Each guest travelling with Virgin Blue is permitted a free checked-in
baggage allowance of 20kgs. Our current guideline is that each item of
sporting equipment is classed as 5kgs of the guests total baggage
allowance. Based on the information you have provided, the bag
containing your bowling equipment would constitute 5kgs, and your
clothing bag would be weighed at its actual weight.

I have also included our excess baggage chargers for your reference:

01kg - 10kg over free baggage allowance = $20
11kg - 15kg over free baggage allowance = $30
16kg and above over the free baggage allowance = $80 + $5 for every kg
over 16kg

Our Sporting Equipment Policy will be updated this year, however, a date
has not been confirmed. If you have already made your booking, the
current guidelines I advised, we still apply to your booking.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards

Cassie

I gave them a call today...
Anyone who booked a flight prior to Jan 1st 2007 gets to fly under the old policy. I made the lady put a note of this next to my booking for SA...as well as noting I will have some bowling balls with me.
The lady I got then went on to explain their new policy to me. Because of her niceness I showed enough in return to not tell her exactly what I think of the new policy :D

i just messaged virgin blue, along the lines of, ill find a better offer if theres is unresonable. and so will many other bowlers so hopefully it works :)

Hey guys,

We just flew from Brisbane to Melbourne last night and when we checked in they informed us that there is no longer any allowance for sporting equipment. When we questioned what she meant, she went on to tell us that the policy has changed as of the begining of this year and that all sporting equipment no matter the weight will count towards your luggage allowance. This means that everytime we fly, we will definately be charged excess. They let us off this time though.

Qantas is starting to look good now.

The website is still advertising the old policy and till that changes.... you have a legal loop hole

Back
Top Bottom