VirginBlue Reviewing Sporting Equipment Policy

Good thinking;definitely the heavier stuff like toiletries. A piece of advice I got is to take your bowling shoes in your hand luggage. Trying to bowl a tournament with someone else's bowling shoes is even worse than having to bowl one with someone else's bowling ball.

I was flying from Melbourne to Adelaide by Virgin Blue last year and I had a bag with 2 balls and I was charged with extra kilos, 5 dollars per kilo. I tried to complain that it was sporting equipment and I got answer that it doesn't matter, for them it was extra baggage. So I paid 80 dollars. If there is a way to make our travel easeir I'd send a message.
Vadim

There are a few tips when flying Virgin. As Max said earlier, phone the day before and they should mark your booking Plus Sporting Goods.

When you get to the airport if you get a check-in person who is a real pain simply tell them you have changed your mind about joining the flight.

You then rejoin the queue and have someone else book you in. This can work well.
You will also find there is a supervisor on duty and it can pay to politely insist on calling that supervisor in.
There is also a separate Virgin Blue service desk at most major airports where they sell tickets, and it is a good idea to go there first and tell the person you have sporting goods and you dont want to be charged.
You need to be polite at all times, but you also need to take control.

Strangely enough, I had my first negative experience at check-in on my way back from Moonah.

I had rung the day before and got it noted on my reservation. The snarly bitch at check-in tried to charge me, till I very nicely suggested to her she check my reservation as it was confirmed I didn't have to pay.

To her credit, she did just that and put it all through at no charge. Bear in mind I had 45kgs of excess, it was well worth the phone call.

That IS the key to it, go to the effort of ringing them and have it put on your reservation and they WILL NOT CHARGE EXCESS.

Max

I made the mistake of flying Jetstar on my only trip so far... Only took 3 balls with me, but tried to only have my balls in the bowling bag and all my accessories etc in my other luggage. Managed to go 2 weeks in melb with a tote, a double roller and a backpack, though that was a real pain in the ass having to unpack and repack everything whenever I wanted anything...

I need some advice from all frequent flyers.

There is a group (35) of us going to New Zealand in June next year.

Just in my group there will be 224kgs of bowling balls + our luggage.
The 2nd group will have 315kgs of bowling balls + luggage.

Is it easier to send all bowling equipment by freight?

What is the best way of doing this?
Who do we fly with?

At the moment Emirates have the best deal with Qantas coming in 2nd.
What about Virgin..any suggestions.

I am not the greatest on using the net for searches, so any help will be
appreciated.

Thank you fellow travellers in advance for any assistance.

Icequeen. (Mrs P)

It sounds to me like you don't have too much of a problem. On international flights you're allowed 20k per person + hand luggage (4-5k I believe, it keeps changing). 35 of you makes 700k which is a lot more than what you named. It would probably be a good idea to check with the airline anyway because some of them insist on not more than 1 piece of luggage per person traveling but I'm pretty sure you'll have their cooperation when bulk-buying 35 tickets; you (or a good travel agent) should be able to negotiate a good price for the tickets.

Icequeen, I would advise against sending it over:

a) there is more likelyhood that the equipment will get lost

b) if you want it by a certain day guaranteed, it will cost a f*^$load

c) i'd imagine it would already cost an arm and a leg to just send it through the cheapest option.

Be aware everyone, just been on the phone to Virgin Blue and they have changed the sporting equipment policy twice in the last few weeks.

It was changed during the middle of December to reflect this:

Check-in Baggage Limit
Restrictions and limitations apply to the amount of baggage that you wish to check in

Blue Plus Fare - Each guest occupying a seat (Adult or Child), is permitted to check-in baggage weighing a total of 32 kg, free of charge. Infants do not receive a free baggage allowance.

All other fare types - Each guest occupying a seat (Adult or Child), is permitted to check-in baggage weighing a total of 20 kg, free of charge. Infants do not receive a free baggage allowance.

Check-in baggage that exceeds this allowance will attract excess baggage charges. Each piece of baggage must not weigh more than 32 kg or exceed total linear dimensions of 140 cm (Add together the depth, width and length). Any baggage that exceeds the free allowance will only be accepted at the carrier’s discretion.

Bulky Baggage
Some items are bigger or bulkier than usual. This information outlines weight allocations packing instructions for larger items.

Guests Travelling with Sporting Equipment:Sporting Equipment counts towards guests’ free baggage allowance.

Each Item of sporting equipment will individually represent 5kgs of a guests free total baggage allowance, irrespective of the actual weight of the item.

For example, a bicycle that weighs 10kgs will represent 5kgs of the guests’ free baggage allowance. If the free baggage allowance is 20kgs, this leaves 15kgs for other items. These items include but are not to be restricted to the following:

bicycles
golf clubs
snow skis
surfboards
cricket / tennis bags

After giving them a call I have been informed that the website is not up to date and the policy has been changed again effective 1/1/07.

Basically, you get 20 or 32kgs for checked-in baggage depending on your fare type and thats it.

They are in the process of updating the website and i have asked to have the new policy emailed through and kept informed of policy changes in the future.

Hope this help.

So does this mean its still ok to fly with bowling ball bags and stay well under excess limits?

i think i will be giving them a call to find out where we stand on tickets bought under the OLD system to fly when the new system is in place. ie for flying to cairns later this month i bought the tickets mid december..

I hope there is some leway in back coverage.

TOnx from what chowny said
Basically, you get 20 or 32kgs for checked-in baggage depending on your fare type and thats it.

i gather that is a NO lol

Guests Travelling with Sporting Equipment:Sporting Equipment counts towards guests’ free baggage allowance.
Each Item of sporting equipment will individually represent 5kgs of a guests free total baggage allowance, irrespective of the actual weight of the item

Chucky: From what I read here, this suggests that a bowling ball bag, regardless of actual weight reads as 5kg. This seems to me that a couple of totes and normal luggage keeps you under the limit of 20kg?

Am I missing something?

So does this mean its still ok to fly with bowling ball bags and stay well under excess limits?

No.

For example if you have a blue saver fare you can check in 20kgs.

2 x 15 lb balls, shoes & other gear in the bag = 15kg or there abouts.

So now u have 5kgs for other items eg: clothing etc...

Everything over 20kgs you will be charge excess baggage.

They tried to sting me for excess baggage last week, this is why i have decided to have a good look into there new policys and find out they have a new policy that isnt even advertised on there website.

After giving them a call I have been informed that the website is not up to date and the policy has been changed again effective 1/1/07.

They are in the process of updating the website and i have asked to have the new policy emailed through and kept informed of policy changes in the future.

Hope this help.

Have a read of this part Tonx.

Back
Top Bottom