Updated AMF Scoring system

S

slatergirl

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has come across this new system of scoring as i have recently experienced this and felt this was unacceptable, as no one had explained to any bowler that a new system was on it's way, also I feel that this system is crap and only AMF Staff are allowed to "fix" anything if something goes wrong.

What and how do you feel about this new scoring system????

Slatergirl :)

The new scoring system slows things down. If its people cheating that they are trying to stop then surely there must be another way for them to fix the problem, even just allowing the president, treasurer and secretary of the league to do scores would still keep the pace roughly the same as it would when we can correct it ourselves. Plus it also helps if all the staff know how to do it as we found out the other night!

Look I wouldn't say that the new scoring system is crap but I will say that AMF's planning and implementation of the system has been very poorly handled.

The fact league bowlers can't do simple things like correct scores, alter bowling lineups, jump a bowler, put in a blind score, pacer etc, or re - rack a deck means the system is definately below a league standard system. The fact that attempting even one of the normal minor changes league bowlers used to routinely make using the old system causes this new system to go haywire suggests that the system has been poorly put together.

I think that there was not a thorough investigation on the significant impact on league bowlers included in the planning for the systems setup and implementation.

It seems that there has only been consideration given to having control of the social bowler and the league bowler who in 99% of the case knows how to do most of the changes I mentioned above has been treated as if they are idiots.

My opinion is this sytem as currently implemented is totally unacceptable and changes need to be made to allow league bowlers to make the mentioned changes again to avoid the ridiculous delays the new system is causing during league play.

As a treasurer who must leave the lanes to pay the bowling fees to the bowl I find the system a joke and can't believe it was put in place as it was.

Also I don't think consideration was made on the impact to the additional workload this creates for counter staff who are busy providing service. The counter is left unattended for lengthy periods and thus not only do league bowlers get frustrated with further delays but social bowlers get fed up with waiting and simply add to the number of walk in / walk outs.

If it was done in the company that i work for (I have worked in IT for over 6 years) the people would have been sacked on the spot.

The system is computer score.

We have been using it at Sunshine to control lanes for the last two years and don't seem to have many problems with it at all. It's just a change and like all new things will take a little time to get used to.

Forest Hill has it and works ok now but there is one problem the only thing u can do from the key pads is the change of score and reset the pins thats about it i think and u have to change bowlers and line ups from the front counter. Chadstone got it in a few weeks ago and 1 saturday night it was a real pain when we had to add and change bowlers the first night with this new system they have over 10 changes every saturday night.
Thats my say on this .

Ps i think this system is great

Is it just some Victorian centres are getting this upgrade?

I experienced it last week at league. Noticed it when the colour changes for a new game (bright yellow/blue - bad!). The major cause of the night was couldn't add a blind to a team from the playing area. Had to be at the counter.

You do wonder what the benefits were to upgrade the system. Less functionality for league bowlers ain't that good. It's more a dis-service.

Vi

Like all new things its obviously going to take some time to get used to and both bowlers and staff have to expect teething problems for the first few weeks.

Having used the computer score system at Northcote for the last 18 months or so i can honestly say that from a staff point of view this system is easier to use once the staff understand the basics, something that will come from using the system and gaining experience with its various options.

As far as no longer having full functionality with the consoles is concerned i'm sure the people that have overseen the implementation of this new system are finding a way to overcome the issues being raised by bowlers and to fix any problems that are being encountered.
Some bowlers may simply have to be patient whilst a solution is found because like it or not this system is here to stay.
Brendan Hanton

Having used computor score for 30 months i would say that its the most user friendly system i have used. You can do all the changes on the lane that you require, By the sound of what im seeing in this topic they havent set the leagues up correctly or are making sure that the staff get familier with the system before they show the leagues how to use it. Give them time and you will find its the best system around.

I saw that article as well.

Considering AMF Australia is its own entity and no longer involved with AMF worldwide (from my understanding of the buyout by Macquarie), i'm not sure that this merger will have any impact on Australian centres.

Only time will tell though.

Im pretty sure Highpoint has this new system. With in the first few days of the upgrade, the centre recieved a bomb threat from what they believe was a unhappy bowler. On top of that they have just replaced the pins in the centre, when hitting the pocket you dont get the same pin action and find yourself leaving a solid 7 or 10 or even both. Any way in regards to the new system i have experienced that with our h/caps that it has randomly generated from no where, so instead of carring over from last seasons 169 avg it some how produced a 191 avg.

keep you informed on any other issues

I’m sure like any other system it will take time to filter out the bugs. There are only 2 major problems I have seen affecting bowlers (at Forest Hill)

1. People seem annoyed they cannot do a Recap of there scores.

2. A few of the Staff have N.F.I with the system.

It's been in at Forest hill now for a month and counter staff are still having an issue with the system. Lack of training has been a big issue I think.

Also the scoring system behind the counter has been changed but has the system at the lanes been changed? Allot of the issues could be 2 programs not seeing eye to eye. :D

The new system that is being installed in to AMF bowling Centres are to make it easier for he staff members at the bowl. I do agree that it is a bit silly that minor changes cannot be made by the consoles but i am sure the people that have designed this system will find a solution to theis problem in the near future. I agree that AMF should have made the changes aware to league bowlers before the atually installation of the new system so bowlers were aware of the changes to be made and that there may be delays... Full training should have been provided to AMF staff prior to the system being installed... There should have been a rotation of staff members to a centre that had already had the system in place or even a training seminar. Bowlers werent the only ones that have been and still are panicing over the new system, put yourself in a staff members position having to learn a whole new system that they have had no training in and is completely different to a system that they have known for years. It hasnt exactly been a walk in the park for them either. The new system is here to stay and evryone just needs to get used to it. Remeber that sometimes change is a good thing not a a bad thing.

Tam

hey there is a good side to anything only problem is that people only take notice of the bad and as you said Tam give it time and it will all come together. Im sure it must have its advantages as well

:confused:

Keon Park has had this system put in within the last 2 weeks. Although its can be a bit annoying with score changes and line up changes, I can see why this will end up being better for everyone.

Every night that I have bowled so far with the new system, all the staff at Keon Park have announced and reminded bowlers about the new system and the fact remains : BOWLERS DON'T LISTEN!

The amount of people I have to remind not to press the recap, not to change the score etc...

Give the staff a chance to familiarise with the new equipment. We haven't had any major problems with it.

And if you add up the scores yourself, you won't need to use the recap. ;)

The new system may prove helpful in the long run, but its also up to the some staff members to make the effort and learn the new system, rather than blame the the inability to get around the new system.

I'm sure that if staff members spent some time in front of the system when things are slower than normal, would have grasped the system a lot quicker. Also the lack of training doesn't help either.

If you don't make the effort to learn something, then how do you expect to run it??? Wait for someone to do it that does. I don't know about others but i hate not knowing how to do something, that i need to do.

Jedi Bowler - Computer Score will let you bring up a recap on the screen.

As Gunther has mentioned previously, Sale has had Computer Score for a couple of years now. It is a great system. We have used it to run a variety of tournaments. They include anything from a basic format to the Country Championships. The latter is obviously much more difficult due to the variables being males and females and the different grades also. This was done with great success and we were able to print off results immediately after each squad.

It took us a while to learn all the great things the software had to offer though. The advantage at Sale is that it's a small centre hence the staff were able to learn more quickly.

Maybe some of these centres could get Gunther to come and show them about the software. ;) ;)

Liz

Teething problems noted but the fact that staff have to now implement things like blind scores, prebowls etc. and there is no availability of recaps makes the league bowling experience for many a chore rather than an enjoyable experience.

Seems strange that these functions have not been incorporated to work with existing lane consoles.

Would have made the transition phase a lot less of a headache for all league secretaries, treasurers and presidents and counter staff who inevitably cop a lot of unnecessary flak for a decision that is beyond there control.

I believe the new management of AMF need to take a step back and take a good hard look at there procedure and decision making processes so this sort of thing does not happen in the future.

The bottom line is that both bowlers and staff are going to have to work together and be patient whilst becoming accustomed to the new system.

The loss of recaps is annoying but hardly the end of the world. Northcote has never had the recap function under any system we've had whilst i've bowled or worked there. Manually adding the scores and looking at the paper recaps to find out everyone's series and the points won and lost is what a lot of bowler have had to do to get results for years.

Grumpie is right about being able to view the recaps, but only for any centres that have had the full upgrade to incorporate the on the lane graphics as well. As far as i'm aware most AMF centres would still have the same graphics now as they did before the upgrade. The number of functions accessible from the consoles after the upgrade varies based on the system that was being used before hand.
When we were changed over at Northcote 18 months ago we lost only a couple of functions and so things basically kept going as normal.
Keon Park on the other hand seems to have lost basically every function except the ability to switch to the next game. Something that i'm sure will be fixed ASAP.

At the end of the day this system will benefit both bowlers and staff.
Change isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as people are willing to adapt.
Brendan

Back
Top Bottom